Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to connect to the Shaw network at 115 street and Jasper avenue in Edmonton on my iPhone 4 but I was not presented with the Shaw browser-based authentication page. As a result, I was not able to access the wireless service. Does anyone know if I need to go to a certain URL in Safari once I connect to one of the Shaw networks?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spooky - I went to the 115st and Jasper wifi point with my iPhone 4 as well, this morning. I think there is an issue with that one because it was incredibly slow and took a long time to connect. Basically just do a google search (or anything) and it will redirect to the authentication URL.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was at the 4 St and 17 Ave SW Calgary this afternoon. Connected to both ShawOpen and Shaw Secure without any issue. Download is 5Mbps and upload is 3.5Mbps. The upload is good for using VOIP/sip calls over the Internet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very Impressed

I just tested the secure wifi at the Jack Poole Olympic Plaza in Vancouver. Very impressed with the speeds I was able to get using speedtest.net. Downloads from 3.54Mbps to 10.80Mbps & uploads from 0.04Mbps (??) to 8.77Mbps. Pings were between 49 & 110 ms.

Easy sign on & good speeds, now I know where I'll be spending my lunch breaks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tested the Shaw Wifi Trial at the Surrey retail hub location in BC. Got 8.5 mbps download and 5.5 mbps upload and connecting was extremely easy. If this becomes widespread it could be a great shaw feature. Thanks for the heads up on this contest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm 0-for-2 now. Tried to connect at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal last night. I could see the ShawOpen and ShawSecure access points at the ticket booth area, but as I walked through the terminal, the signals kept dropping out and I couldn't make a connection. In the walk on passenger waiting room, where people would be most likely to use the WiFi, and where I expected the signal to be strongest, the access points didn't even show up on my device.

To be fair, there are a lot of steel girders, steel and concrete walls, etc. around the terminal which could be causing interference.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Calgary - Marda Loop area

Until recently none of the trial locations were convenient for me.

I noticed this morning a new location listed on the Shaw WiFi trial site referred to as Marda Loop - Outdoor at the intersection of 33rd Ave and 20th Street, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

While sitting in front of Professional Skate on 18th street I could see both Shaw Secure and Open on my 1st gen iPod Touch. Although both looked like pretty weak signals, I connected to Shaw Secure successfully. A quick web browsing test gave very slow response.

From there I drove over and parked at the corner of 32 Ave and 20 Street S.W. Still connected with the Touch, but couldn't run the Speedtest app because of some old firmware, so I fired up the iPad.

Connected to Shaw Secure no problem, got a ping response of 52 ms from Speedtest, with 14.5 Mbps download and 3.70 Mbps upload.

Fired up the MacBook Pro and got 34 ms, 26.15 Mbps down and 3.76 up. The Airport options on my laptop showed that I was connected to 802.11n at 5Ghz.

All of these tests were between 11 AM and 11:20 AM on January 11, 2012. There is a Bellus tower half way down to the block to the East, don't know for sure if Shaw is hanging on there or not...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I was also looking at the map yesterday and noticed they have added a few more spots here in Calgary. It's nice to hear they are working but the range does seem to be extremely limited on what is out there so far. I wonder how they will be able to provide 'broad coverage' with such limitations?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh cool, they've lit up the ferry terminal at Horseshoe Bay.

Wonder if they are working with the district to do that, or BC Ferries. Hope they're looking at doing the Nanaimo side too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It looks like Shaw, in Calgary, has added the Calgary Tower and Hudsons Tap House on 12 Avenue for some additional Downtown locations.

I would like to start seeing some WiFi trial spots along the LRT line in Calgary and some major regional shopping centers like Market Mall and Chinook Centre though....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I noticed today when I signed in to my Shaw online account. Shaw had captured the MAC address of my smartphone when I use the ShawSecure last week. Next time, I do not have to login again and their will authenticate my device automatically. You are allowed to have up to 8 devices per Shaw account. You are allowed to add MAC addresses manually online. I am adding my family members' wifi device MAC addresses.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I tried out the Whyte Ave location in Edmonton last Saturday, and I was impressed with the coverage. I still had a (weak) signal nearly a block away before it finally dropped. There are lots of coffee shops that would be covered by that one node. Connecting was easy, and everything went well. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tested the Shaw Wifi Trial at the Surrey retail hub location in BC. Got 8.5 mbps download and 5.5 mbps upload and connecting was extremely easy. If this becomes widespread it could be a great shaw feature. Thanks for the heads up on this contest.
@schauhan17

Those speeds are pretty low. I've connected several times at Surrey Retail location and I always get ~20Mb up and down.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I'm at Hudson's on McLeod Tr South in Calgary and unless you are inside the building, the signal is very weak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was parked on the road outside the actual building so maybe it was in a bad spot. Connecting was easy though and for free wifi the speeds I got were pretty decent. 20 mbps is extremely good, maybe it was just that day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
just gave the shaw wifi a try using my iPad - at a recently added location 2800blk W Broadway, Vancouver

got caught by the minimum 3-character sign-on requirement - had to log in to my account via iPhone to create a new Shaw email address first.

was in a parked car on the street, a few stores down from the hotspot, getting around 4-6Mbps down, 3~5Mbps up. ping ~120ms

I may be near the other newly added location on 600blk W Broadway later today, will see if I can give that one a try too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed today when I signed in to my Shaw online account. Shaw had captured the MAC address of my smartphone when I use the ShawSecure last week. Next time, I do not have to login again and their will authenticate my device automatically. You are allowed to have up to 8 devices per Shaw account. You are allowed to add MAC addresses manually online. I am adding my family members' wifi device MAC addresses.
This is a great way to manage it. The best thing Shaw did in this trial was to make it so that you don't have to re-login again with your shaw address as you travel between wifi hotspots. It works more like moving between cells in the cell network.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.