Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

No idea where to begin this type of search here but hopefully you guys can answer this for me:

Is it possible to transfer movies, tv shows, etc from the PVR received to a PC? if so, how? I do have a TV capture card but is there other more sophisticated hardware that can be purchased to get the capture in a quicker manner rather than realtime?

Do I have to crack open the receiver and remove the Hard Drive, connect it to the PC and extract the files, you know, the roll-up-your-sleeves way?

Thanks for any response you can provide.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you won't be able to capture it via 'cracking it open and pulling out the hard drive'. you'll have to use an external dvd burner or your capture card and export it at 'real-time' (as you watch it).

there is a thread somewhere where someone asked this before...

·
Registered
170 Posts
The digital copy of the program is encrypted and requires a BEV receiver to view it. It is for this reason that programming cannot be copied from the hard drive to your PC. I suppose it could be but it would do you no good.

The only real method of transfer is through one of the outputs to your capture card. It's worth noting that is will be SD even if the program was recorded in HD due to copyright protection.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Do a google search for dishrip. The above info isn't entirely correct. Actually found a thread here called PVR Rip. This will point you in the right direction. Never tried it so I don't know how difficult it is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Try the yahoo group dishrip. They have all kind of software to get your files, except for a few receivers who encrypt data. If you have a 5100 or 5800, there shouldn't be a lot of issues while 5900 is encrypted file system.

Of course, you'll need to open your PVR and say bye-bye to warranty/exchange from BEV.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So is it safe to say there is no way to transfer raw files from a 9200 via firewire?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts