Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was wondering if I could trade my Motorola DCT3416 in for Shaws new box DCX3400? Any possibility of this happening? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can only trade "up" with DCTs, so your best bet would be to sell your 3416 and then purchase a new DCX3400.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As Anonimz confirmed you can only trade up to the next level of technology. Currently you have a dual tuner PVR and you want the dual tuner PVR with is not considered a trade up. If you only had an HD dct (non-PVR version) and wanted to trade up to a PVR you could.

·
Registered
195 Posts
yes mike.

Currently, If you order NFL Sunday ticket we'll be doing free upgrades to the new pvr technology to support mpeg4 HD. This may be a good option for you if you're a football fan.

Sean
Shaw Customer Care - Social Media

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys....I have the same question as gpilethbridge, but I'm a little confused by the answers given.

Since my 3416 is dual tuner I'm not eligible for a trade-in to the new DCX3400? But if I had a plain HD box that I only paid $250 for, I would be? That doesn't really make much sense.

I just got off the phone with Shaw and mentionned that I've been having problems with pixelation and standard channels looking better when I plug the tv directly into the wall and bypass the HD PVR completely. The CSR told me to bring my box into Shaw and ask for a new one. Would I be getting a refurb'ed 3416 or the new DCX3400?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey guys....I have the same question as gpilethbridge, but I'm a little confused by the answers given.

Since my 3416 is dual tuner I'm not eligible for a trade-in to the new DCX3400? But if I had a plain HD box that I only paid $250 for, I would be? That doesn't really make much sense.

I just got off the phone with Shaw and mentionned that I've been having problems with pixelation and standard channels looking better when I plug the tv directly into the wall and bypass the HD PVR completely. The CSR told me to bring my box into Shaw and ask for a new one. Would I be getting a refurb'ed 3416 or the new DCX3400?

Thanks for any ideas.
I'm not a Shaw employee, but from what I understand the trade in option is available only to subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket due to the change in signal for that package this year. It's not an across the board trade in option for anyone who wants to get rid of their old STB's. If you want a good breakdown of the offer, look at Mungar's explanation in the NFL Sunday Ticket thread.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@JohnnyGunn

It has nothing to do with it being dual tuner. we only do "trade ups". So we would trade up any regular or HD DCT for a PVR, but we wouldn't trade a PVR for a newer PVR. This is in relation to our trade up program, not the NFL Sunday ticket offer.

As for the pixelation issues we would want to book a service call first and have a technician out to investigate the problems you're having.

If he concludes that the dct is the problem he'll swap it out on the spot for you.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shawsean, you didn't answer JohnnyGunn's question. He didn't ask whether he would have a faulty box swapped; of course he would. He asked if he would get a refurb 3416 or a 3400.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It all depends on what stock we have at the time. If we have refurbished 3416's that's what we'd swap out. If not any equivalent refurbished unit that's available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@trask
I was talking about the trade up program that Shaw has in place....not the NFL Sunday Ticket promotion.

@shawsean
I was thinking "trade up" would also mean trade up to a newer and better unit. Seems odd to me that I wouldn't be eligible for the new 3400 when I paid over $600 for the 3416 just 3 years ago....but that's Shaw I guess.

@nobsplease
Thanks...that was my second question! I've had techs come in on two occasions to try and diagnose the problem. The second time, the guy was stumped, couldn't figure out the issue and grabbed my TV remote and tried to "fix" my pixelation issues through TV settings. On his way out he said that since he didn't have any tuners with him, he'd be back with one within a few days. That was quite some time ago.

When I called Shaw, I was curious about the trade-up option to see if that would fix my problems.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
224 Posts
@trask
I was talking about the trade up program that Shaw has in place....not the NFL Sunday Ticket promotion.

@shawsean
I was thinking "trade up" would also mean trade up to a newer and better unit. Seems odd to me that I wouldn't be eligible for the new 3400 when I paid over $600 for the 3416 just 3 years ago....but that's Shaw I guess.

@nobsplease
Thanks...that was my second question! I've had techs come in on two occasions to try and diagnose the problem. The second time, the guy was stumped, couldn't figure out the issue and grabbed my TV remote and tried to "fix" my pixelation issues through TV settings. On his way out he said that since he didn't have any tuners with him, he'd be back with one within a few days. That was quite some time ago.

When I called Shaw, I was curious about the trade-up option to see if that would fix my problems.

Thanks for the help guys.
My apologies. If your other options don't work out, you should think about buying the NFL package. By doing that you would automatically qualify to trade in your 3416 for the 3400 and it would be cheaper than buying it the other way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I guess it's too early to say whether the same DCX3400 offer made to NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers will be extended to NHL CI subscribers for the upcoming season?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I talked to a rep yesterday and asked about the DCX 3400 and NHLCI. They put me on hold for a bit and came back and said CI won't be MPEG4 so they can't offer it like Sunday Ticket.

FWIW

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for that alexo. I'm not all that interested in the NFL, but the deal is more than worth it just to upgrade my Tahoe. May the bad memories fade quickly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you "trade up" your current DCT, you do not get a straight 'box for box' swap. You get a credit towards the new one. So if you had an HD only DCT and wanted a PVR, you don't get it for free, but a credit is applied to the purchase price of the PVR. I am not sure what the trade it values are for each DCT is currently, maybe Shawsean can help me out with that part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts