Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone knows if TSN will be picking up the Versus feed with Paul and Phil, please update this thread. Le Tour would not be the same without their commentary (even if it is in HD).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It hasn't been confirmed, but I'd be about 95% sure. TSN almost always uses US feed, if available, and they use Versus for IndyCar and NHL.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think most people who follow TdF in the past are very familiar with Phil/Paul, since most of us have seen it through OLN/Versus, so it would make sense for them to stick with their commentary.

I'm just wondering if they'll do live broadcasts of the full-length races during the day, or if they'll only be showing the condensed prime-time version.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will certainly have it live, probably on TSN2 some (or many/all) days because of things like The Open Championship.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Finally, Le Tour in HD!

Now, being a glass-half-full kinda guy, if only TSN would also pick up Versus' Cyclism Sundays programming to build interest and provide context for the Tour. I would love to be able to see races like Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Nice on my big screen, instead of in a window on my Mac.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doubt they even have time because of NHL playoffs, NASCAR, IndyCar, hockey worlds etc. TSN and TSN2 are usually full on Sundays during the spring.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Which is exactly why I think the Tour might have been a better fit for Sportsnet One; not much going on over there these days.

As this is a multi-year deal, what's going to happen when the Tour conflicts with games in the 2012 Euro soccer tournament? Or some other big-money event TSN hordes the rights to?

It would be nice to see a Canadian broadcaster step up and make a commitment to cycling, not just to showing the Tour; that's the only way to build interest in the sport. I'm sure there's a lot of casual viewers out there who watch a bit of the Tour and think that's the only time the riders race as that's the only time they're on Canadian TV. There's a lot of beauty, drama and athleticism in many other races through the season.

I have a feeling we'll be lucky to get the full live morning show, as repeats or the primetime show are bound to conflict with something like baseball, or golf, or NASCAR; set your PVR's accordingly. I have fond memories of watching the live coverage early in the morning on OLN, then the replay immediately afterward so I could relive the moments I may not have been at my most lucid, and then the primetime antics of Bob Roll, etc. For the three weeks of the Tour, my TV never left OLN.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tour de France

I don't think the Tour will interfere with the Euro 2012 ( Friday, June 8 – Sunday, July 1), maybe the final game which most likely will start at 2:30 PM and by that time the Tour stage is done. It will interfere with the British Open and Formula 1 (qualifying and race).

Didn't Sporstnet One had the Vuelta last year? Maybe they'll pick up the Giro also, they sure need more programming to replace the poker, darts and pool that they always have on.:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Finally... HD!! I don't think I have a single reason to watch OLN anymore :)

We will probably get Phil/Paul and I'd be shocked if TSN just doesn't buy the Vs. coverage. The alternative is Eurosport which isn't too bad (Sean Kelly, David Duffield and Chris Boardman) but it's not the masters.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For anybody looking forward to the Versus coverage of the Tour de France, it could be very different than it has been in past years. NBC Sports has effectively taken control of the channel's sports operations with the Comcast takeover of NBC. Many of the NHL on Versus crew have already been fired, including rinkside reporter Bob Harwood. It's hard to say if Versus will still employ the same personalities by July. The good news is that at the 2008 Olympics NBC used Versus commentators Craig Hummer and Paul Sherwen, so there may not be any major on-air changes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kirsten Gum with the sound off wasn't bad.

I'm sure we'll get Paul and Phil. This past race I checked out the Tour on the Internet and found Paul and Phil were broadcasting for Australian TV at the same time as Versus. When Versus went for a commercial break they would mention the Australian channel by name and vis versa. That's one of the reasons they repeat themselves so much, they can't remember which channel they mentioned something on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep and another reason would be that there's not actually anything of note happening for loooong stretches of time and dead air is the cardinal sin of broadcasting. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
TDF 2011 - coverage on TSN2

Following is a direct quote from Audience Relations at TSN:

Thanks for contacting TSN.

We will be picking up the VERSUS feed for our Tour de France coverage. It will in fact include Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.

Regards,

Andrew

TSN Audience Relations

1 - 20 of 88 Posts