Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
@Jimsathome

The lyngsat links are up to date and a good source of what channels are where and on which satellite. As @57 indicates there are many changes coming up for Shaw Direct over the next couple months, many channels moving transponders etc. When you get round to replacing the faulty cable can you use the existing cable to draw the new one through (using barrel connectors) or is the conduit so long it might bind on the other cables. Is there a fish tape in the conduit?

Another source of channel locations
https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Content/English/ChannelCharts.htm

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Hi HowardDoin,

Thanks for the links. I was hoping someone already compiled a list of what channels were on what feed.

I already had the Lyngsat pages and was up to 1:00 am last night, trying to sort out which one would have the least impact => at least on me as I don't remember the neighbor's package with Shaw Direct other than his Misses loves baseball. That should make the Sportsnet HD channels a priority.

In my blurry state I concluded (and I could be wrong) that the 13V/10KHz feed is the most likely candidate. That's the F1/G1 Vertical channels which seem to have SD Channels (when HD is preferred anyway), French Channels, times shifted CTV channels, and a lot of unsubscribed Shaw Direct Pay stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to swap that feed out and see what everyone has to say. I know the right answer is to pull in a new cable, but that's probably a huge task even though we had installed a strong run of braided pull string in place when we did the install eight (nine years this November. OMG!!) But if we do that, we'll finally get some RG6 Quad Shield in place.

I hope the feed swap will work until then...

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
can you use the existing cable to draw the new one through (using barrel connectors)
I wouldn't use barrel connectors. The coax connectors are not likely to hold, especially on long runs like this. Use the center conductors in the cable or a pull string. Use black electrical tape to make the connection transition as seamless as possible. Electrical wholesalers sell a wire pulling lubricant that really helps with long runs of cable.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Hi Team,

For now the neighbor is quite happy. It seems the 13V/10KHz feed => the F1/G1 Vertical channels that are lost didn't impact them at all. So the urgency has diminished immensely.

There has been a bit of construction equipment (backhoes mostly, but Cement Trucks, etc.) driving over the conduit with the feed cables and I suspect one of the cables (and conduit) got crushed / cut as they are only 12-16 inches deep as I remember. It could be the repair we made last year has somehow failed (which was a bit deeper, but the reconstruction of that Cabin into a House is still ongoing). Or it could be another house 4 Cabins down (towards the dish) who demolished their old place, and only reused the front foundation walls (so they qualified as a renovation and didn't have to comply with "new" setback requirements) for a huge expansion. (He's a mechanic and put in an attached 3 car garage with a Lift so he can moonlight evenings and weekends. He and his family live there year round.) They moved some huge boulders across the conduit in making a retaining wall and that could also be the source of the problem.

Anyway, if we get lucky and Shaw Direct keeps the channels as they are, it could be next spring before I get enough time to find out what's up and repair it. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I just switched out to the new, xKu LNB, and wondered if you could help with a channel question. Can you tell me your EcbNo for channel 252 Prise 2? Over 7.0?
thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
nope, it doesn’t matter. For some reason, Shaw Direct is using a channel I don’t subscribe to for either measuring signal strength, or to activate the xKu LNB. which I didn’t realize needed activating. I thought you just installed it, called in and they press the “go” button. Thanks for the signal check.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's been a long time since I installed my xKu, but I informed them via on online chat. You are correct in that they have to essentially flip a switch. I remember from installing dishes that I used City Toronto HD to check signal strength, and if memory serves correct, that was channel 252

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's been a long time since I installed my xKu, but I informed them via on online chat. You are correct in that they have to essentially flip a switch. I remember from installing dishes that I used City Toronto HD to check signal strength, and if memory serves correct, that was channel 252
Now, in the Classic East lineup, it's Prise 2

·
Registered
522 Posts
right, so what I was getting at was that your info source for optimizing your dish was using info using the old channel number (252) instead of the channel name (City HD Toronto). so you may want to look at your EcbNo for CITY HD

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I believe what frenchophile is saying is to use the channel number associated with where Citytv Toronto (channel NAME) is located. It will have three possible numbers currently depending on whether it's Classic (35) , Advanced (535) or National (135)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Hi Folks,

On our last trip to the Cabin a couple weeks back, the neighbor was complaining he was missing more and more channels. I suspect that Shaw Direct's continued shuffling of channels from Bird to Bird is what's causing this. Do you happen to have a list for what channel is on what Bird worked out yet for when this is all complete (September sometime I heard?)

The issue is we still have a dead Cable from the dish to the Multiswitch and I'll need figure out, when all the shuffling is completed, which line we can do without. Hopefully one feed will not have too much impact. (It would be easy if they put all the French Channels on one feed like they used to have.)

Of course the move to a "National" channel map will confuse the neighbor for months too.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Jimsathome your sig says your in Canada so I don't know why your friend would have trouble b'cuz its just south of Canada that ppl can't get G1, but anyway if you look at the thread Shaw South of Canada you will see that somebody has posted a handy list of channels that will be on G1 this fall and ppl who can't get G1 won't get them.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
@Bayguy I believe @Jimsathome issue is that he has at least one dead feed line so he will be missing some signals be they vertical or horizontal from one orbital slot. As Shaw drops Std Def signals the HD version might be on a line in his deadzone. I believe he optimized the lines a while ago to get the best feed of available channels. Tomorrow will probably introduce some more loss as over 60 Std Def channels drop and if the way his lines are configured the HD is not available then. The signals are going to be increasingly from G1 and F2 so he is going to loose more channels as signals drop from F1R which is colocated with G1.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #259 (Edited)
Making Progress Slowly

LONSat is right on. The issue is probably getting worse every day. The best scenario is all French channels and the remaining SD channels are on one feed. The problem is to map them all once they stabilize.

I advised earlier I disconnected 13V/10KHz feed. It should have been 13V/22KHz. (My Bad!) That's the F2 Vertical channels which seemed to have SD Channels (when HD is preferred anyway), French Channels, times shifted CTV channels, and a lot of unsubscribed Shaw Direct Pay stuff when I disconnected it.

By the way, I already subscribe to that South of Canada Thread. Years ago I helped a local bar in Mexico tweak their system to bring in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD when they thought only SD was available. I was a Hero for a few hours!

At least from that feed I'll know on what's on G1. That only leave F2 and F1R to go. :(

At least I can start reviewing / researching again at these two Sites:

Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Shaw-Direct-107W.html and https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Shaw-Direct-111W.html
And I found some data at Shaw Direct:

Code:
https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/11268/
The Cable 4 Feeds are:

13V. That's the F1R/G1 Vertical Transponders

13V/22KHz. That's the F2 Vertical Transponders

17V That's the F1R/G1 Horizontal Transponders

17V/22KHz. That's the F2 Horizontal Transponders

My current Multiswitch has 17V input whereas other are labeled 18V.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I just did a quick (?) pass on the Lyngsat sites and if it would hold as it is right now (their charts were updated on August 14th), the feed to lose is obviously F1r/G1 Horizontal Transponders which connect to 17V input on the Multiswitch. I'll have to cross reference the upcoming changes in concert with LONSat's edited lineup from the South of Canada Thread. (Thanks).

But it's time for bed. Work in the morning...

241 - 260 of 293 Posts