Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, note - not my Internet, this is my parents. I have no Bell products never deal with the company, so I'm confused here. My parents seem to have no luck calling Bell - everyone says a different thing and they are just doing doublespeak to get off the phone.

So, I find the Internet service slow here at their house. I did tests on testmy.net and bell site and get about 2.5 Mbps. Looking at bell page, that should be a pretty cheap service. They pay $49.99 a month for Total Performance. I can't even find that on their page. If I try to upgrade on the web - it shows rural customer? Any ideas???

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
I believe you mean 2.5 Mb/s, not Gb/s. 1 Gb/s = 1000 Mb/s. Also, ADSL is sold as "up to" some maximum. The actual bandwidth is often less, depending on distance and line quality.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So - is that official from Bell? I mean - their Internet page offers a wide range of speeds. Someone is paying $21.95 for 2Mbps and $31.95 for 6Mbps and my parents are getting under 3 for fifty bucks a month? What's odd is - I can't find this Total Performance anywhere on their website. So - I assume maybe they changed it??? When I go to the site and enter their phone number - it comes up with a new option for Rural service. I'm not sure what they can consider rural - but maybe they changed it. Either way - freakin' ripoff...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Like JamesK said, it's up to speeds. They may also be on an older plan with the profile set at 3Mbps - maybe even an older unlimited plan - I don't know Bell's plans.

When you see prices on their website, don't forget that they always add "extras" to the price including $4 or $5 for modem rental. Add that, plus taxes and you're probably looking at $45 for the Performance (6Mbps) plan.

You could drop them to the 2Mbps service and add insurance packs if that will save money. Better yet, drop Bell for internet and go with an independent company that is cheaper with a higher or no cap.

You might pay $31.95 with a company like Teksavvy (no affiliation) for 200GB monthly but there may be no guarantees with the speed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bell is known for selling people packages that include speeds they know their lines can't support in the specific location.

My parents were in an area that only supported 5Mb/s, Bell decided to sell them a 7Mb/s package as an upgrade (for more money of course), even though they know the lines to my parents could not support 7Mb/s.

After hearing that I immediately switched them to teksavvy and smooth sailing since then.

I argued with Bell for hours demanding to know why they are ripping their customers off like that, selling speeds they know the lines can't support. No one at bell wanted to take accountability for this.

Sometimes due to location, distance form the CO with DSL your speeds will be limited. instead of actually checking to make sure your lines can support a faster speed, bell decides to sell it to unsuspecting customers anyway. Knowing a lot fo those customers won't even bother to do a speedtest and never know they are being ripped off.

As far as the "up to" BS claim. Bell didn't mention the "Up To" until they started throtteling their customers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That Bell for you
it either 6 ms/s or the next package down is like 2 mb/s
The lines where I am can only support maybe 4 mb/s
And no point moving to one company that uses Bell lines since speed will the same
Moving to Cogeco next month

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Another thing Bell does is reset the DSLAM at the CO when any work is done on the line and not bother to profile the line again. The default is 3Mbps so you get left at that, even if the line supports faster speeds. In this case, I have a feeling that the line only supports 3Mbps due to distance from the CO. Note that the slower plans do have lower caps so you want to check their monthly usage to avoid overage charges. In any event, I recommend going with Teksavvy where available. They are much better to deal with than Bell and don't have ridiculously low caps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm seeing a trend. As far as the price, the $49.99 price doesn't include their modem rental and other fees. The other issue they see a lot - happened once when I was there. The internet freezes up. I went to the web page that their modem offers up and it basically tells you to reboot. I guess my parents reboot it a few times a week. Seems to happen when my mother is on the phone with a client and needs to loop up a listing and it's gone. I think they're looking at cable now, since someone commented - any other DSL will use the same cables. May not be much cheaper, but hopefully more reliable and faster.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Seems to happen when my mother is on the phone with a client and needs to loop up a listing and it's gone.
Bad or missing DSL filter???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts