·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SD-3750 DVD player. I'm happy with its DVD and
Audio CD play back. No complaints about the unit, EXCEPT
for its MP3 playback. It's MP3 decoder is very poor. None usable
in my opinion. I created a CD in ISO-9660 format and burned
it at 1x speed. The Toshiba has no problem playing the MP3.
No skips, etc.

However, the music it plays back does not sound like the
original. There are extra sounds in the music. Kind of like
a beating tap. It is more noticeable in some tracks that others.

I created my first CD for the Toshiba by ripping a number of
CDs I own using CD-DA. I put 116 songs on the CD all using
the same ripper and MP3 encoder. Most, if not all the songs
had this odd sound. Some very noticable, some not so noticable.

I then created a second CD consisting of MP3 obtained from
different sources. About 50 % of the songs had this odd sound.
Some where fine.

My guess is that the MP3 decoder in the SD-3750 is flawed.
These MP3s sound proper on all other players tested.
I went to Toshiba today, and had the CD tested on another
SD-3750. Same problem. The technician says that the SD-4700
uses the same logic board, therefore they believe that it
will have the same problem.

Has anyone else had experience with the Toshiba SD line of
DVD players with MP3s?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was actually looking at this unit because I've had good luck with Toshiba and want progressive scan.
I looked at Epinions and CNET and the consensus seems to be pretty postiive. No one seemed to have the same problem so you probably have a bum unit.

Let us know the results.

Epinions SD 3750

CNET User Opinions

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Did you rip the CD's from the same burner?

I once had a similar problem when I ripped MP3's on a computer CD burner. All the songs had an "extra backbeat". I ended up getting a new burner and all was well.

If I recall correctly the problem happened with CD's that were ripped in analog at 1x playback

IN other words, try some other MP3 cd's

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I just finished burning my FIRST EVER MP3 CD last Friday (I was so proud of myself!). It contained 134 songs and all manner of bit rates and CBR/VBR were in the mix. The disc was burned with Easy CD Creator.

My SD3750 at home (and the one at work too) played all the songs flawlessly. The only hiccup was that way too often for my liking, it would just stop at the end of a song. I'd have press the next track button on the remote for it to continue. I was using random mode and didn't test this with sequential playback.

Now a few months ago, I had a customer bring in his own disc of MP3s and that disc had several problems on the 3750. I think I did hear something similar to what you describe - it sounded like a tiny sample of one of the songs was repeating over and over again in the background. Other songs wouldn't play at all and ended up messing up the player completely, requiring a power cycle.

For me though, the 3750 works great. I just wish it displayed the full filename instead of the 8.3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the SD3750 to Toshiba in Toronto and tested the CD on another SD3750. Same problem.

The problem is really noticable on a specific song. I put a portion of the original wave file, and two MP3 version of it on a web site. I played the two MP3s on the SD3750 and digitized the SD3750 analog output on using a SoundBlaster Live card, and put it up on the web site also.

You can hear the original MP3 and the SD3750 output at http://bedrock.comspec.com

Take a listen and let me know what you think.

Domenic

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I can definitely hear the difference. Have you tried the digital output from the 3750? This would help determine whether the problem is with the DACs or the MP3 decoder itself.

I'll burn your file onto a disc and try it here.

Incidentally, I just burned another MP3 disc yesterday on an Imation 700MB CD-R and it's playing back with the odd random error on the 3750 (pops, crackles and other odd sounds). I've not had such problems with FujiFilm discs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I did not try the digital output. I really don't think it will be the DACs, since the same DAC, (a DallasSemi DS1388), is used for all analog outputs. FYI, the Toshiba SD3750 and SD4700 use the Vaddis 5 chip for Zoran, http://www.zoran.com/products/dvd/vaddis5.asp.

It's an inpressive chip. My guess is that this chips 135MHz audio DSP is doing the MP3 decoding. There are no other chip on the logic board that is capable of decoding MP3. Also note that the Zoran web page makes no mention of MP3 decoding. This means, I think, that Toshiba had to write or license the software to decode MP3s. Perhaps it's flawed, (at least on some units).

JohnnyG, sorry to hear that your having problems with the Imation CD-R. I tried some of MP3 CD-R that I burned before getting the unit on the SD3750. Some of them also skipped, pop, etc. They were burned at the highest speed my writer goes. This is a tracking problem and probably has to do with the type of CD-R.

My suggestion is try burning CD-Rs at the 1x speed. Yes it takes longer, but I think that the player will have a better chance of playing it. If you find that a specific brand allways works at 1x, then try 2x. If they work all the time, try 4x. If you start using a different brand, start at 1x again, and work your way up as you build up confidence in your player's abiltiy to track them.

The first CD-R I created for the SD3750 was burned at 1x speed, and I had no problem tracking at all. No pops, crackles etc. Unfortunately, the MP3 decoding is wrong.

I'm really intrested in knowing how my MP3 test file sounds on your player. Please let me know.

Domenic

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Well, I took that same Imation CD-R home and it worked fine on my personal 3750, so there must be some issue with the floor model here at the store.

More interestingly, I burned that song of yours and it played just fine through the 3750's digital out to an H/K AVR120 receiver. I don't have analogue cables handy that are long enough to make it to the receiver, so I didn't test that. It may just be in the DACs. Perhaps an aliasing issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm surprised that you did not hear the effect. A Toshiba rep also tried the digital output and did not hear the problem. I asked him to try the analoge output, but he never got back to me.

Could you please try the analog output and let me know if it has the problem. I'm starting to think that only some of the SD3750 have the problem.

Domenic

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Although mine has hung up on me twice in mid movie (in about 4 months), I've never ever had glitch/hiccup from mine when playing Cd's, CD/r's, or MP3's on CD/r.

the machine is terrific, all the remote's functions could be taught to my MX-500, and it is black! (home theater components should be black).

ok, I mentioned the remote.....'
there is always a bad apple, right?

everytime I use the OEM remote, I know why I bought an MX-500. but it gets the job done and it has good IR range.

thanks for reading my first product review.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnnyG, thanks for the feedback. I'll contact Toshiba again and suggest the problem only happens on some units. Perhaps is date code related. Unfortunately, I don't have the build date of my SD3750 since I returned it to Future Shop.

I'll update this thread if I find out anything.

And Bent, yes, I think this machine is terrific too. That is why I am going thru the trouble of tring to figure out why the MP3s don't play properly on my, and some other SD-3750s.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I wish I knew a way to get the firmware version code to display. I thought that maybe the little sticker on the UPC/serial number label might be the firmware version code (my units say 011U), but I don't think this is correct.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm sure I remember reading about a key sequence somewhere that would get Toshiba DVD decks to spill their guts,

oh, is there a regional hack available for this player?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
tnx

I appreciate the link, even though I don't really have a reason to do other than region one. I just think that if someone where to search for region hack w.r.t. DVD players, they would also find the codes for firmware display.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Just thought it might be interesting to note that an 80min CD-R full of MP3's that plays just fine on my 3750 has several problems on a Panasonic RP91 - an $800 player!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question on DVD movies

Do all DVD movies play full screen ? I have the movie "Pearl Harbor" and I can't get a full screen on my tv.So far this is the only movie I have that does this.I tried to adjust my TV 55HX70 and the DVD SD-3750.Still nothing,I have a black line top and bottom.Is this the only way to watch this movie?If it is, what markings on the DVD movie should I be looking for that tell me so.

Also, Johnny, What do you mean when you say that your TV is ISF calibrated?

·
Registered
989 Posts
wobby, sounds like your watching Pearl Harbour in widescreen and the others in Pan and Scan.

Check the terms in google for explanation of each.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.