Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The REGZA RV535 series, available in 42.0-inch, 46.0-inch and 52.0-inch (diagonal) screen sizes, features Toshiba's PixelPure 4G 14-bit internal digital video processor, with 4,096 levels of gradation, as well as four HDMI inputs with REGZA LINK (HDMI-CEC) and Toshiba's SoundStrip speaker technology. Like the XV545 line, the RV535 lineup includes Toshiba's new SRT upconversion technology and AutoView, as well as Toshiba's new Double Skin Cabinetry.

U.S. Pricing and Availability - no word on Canada

• 42RV535U ($1399.99 September)
  • 46RV535U ($1799.99 September)
  • 52RV535U ($2299.99 September)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Canadian pricing now announced

REGZA RV535 Series

* 42RV535U - $1,400
* 46RV535U - $1,800
* 52RV535U - $2,200

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've been playing with the SRT feature and don't think it makes a difference (unless it makes the picture worse). The feature will only work on 720 or lower input. I hooked up a ordinary DVD via component and played Patton. I think the upscaling makes it worse.

The one nice feature is the PC audio input will work with HDMI port 1 so one can run a PC hooked up via DVI => HDMI) and use the TV speakers.

VGA input is limited to something low: 1280 x 1024 or 1360 x 768.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a few lines on my impression of these sets. I've had mine for exactly one week now. (January 20, 2009.)

I own the Toshiba Regza 52RV535U, which has the SRT feature, and it really works well on every type of material. I simply don't know what CNET is unhappy about in their disparaging review of the Regza 46XV545.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...rColumnArea1.2

I watched the Steelers - Ravens game on Sunday, from the regular old analogue SD cable feed and it looked awesome on my 52 inch screen. Not as good as a Hi Def signal would but WAY sharper and more colour accurate than any of the other SD signals I get, simply because the original signal actually was Hi Def from CBS. The SRT circuit can really improve it over the other channels. I also LOVE the Theatrewide 1 setting for expanding 4x3 material to 16x9. It only stretches the outer 15 percent on each side, like the Smart Stretch mode in Sharp sets and the CyberLink PowerDVD 8 program for PCs. You get used to the full screen goodness in a hurry :p [You wouldn't believe how hard this non-linear stretch feature is to find these days--only Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic and Pioneer offer it any more, and the Panasonic implementation is really inferior to the other three.]

SRT and Theatrewide also work great with standard definition DVDs. (I don't own a Blue Ray box yet but I'm sure it will look simply AWESOME!) I've watched a number of concerts on DVD on this TV, namely REO Speedwagon "Live in the Heartland", The Doobie Brothers "Rocking Down the Highway", The Funk Brothers "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", Steely Dan "Two Against Nature", Eric Clapton "One More Car, One More Rider", Pink Floyd's "Pulse" and "Delicate Sound of Thunder" and Stevie Ray Vaughn "Live at Austin City Limits" and they all look eye-popping good! :eek:

This set is an absolute gem and selling for extremely low prices here in Calgary, Alberta. I paid $1399.00 Canadian for my 52 incher. (That's $1119.20 American at current exchange rates.)

The only problem I've noticed is the greens are a little too bright right out of the box but I've remedied this by calibrating the TV with the Joe Kane DVE disc. Using the disc's supplied red, green and blue filter I was able to make a few adjustments to the green setting in the Color Master controls and now it looks just perfect to my eyes.

Here are my adjustments after using the Joe Kane DVE disc, starting from the Sports Mode:

Picture Settings

-Contrast 80
-Backlight 80
-Brightness 45
-Color 47
-Sharpness 27

(The Contrast and Backlight have been bumped up to 80 from my original settings in the mid-70s. This looks even better, to me anyway.)

Under Advanced Settings I have set the colour temperature to Medium. But you can choose Warm or Cool if you fancy.

Color Master GREEN
-Hue +11
-Brightness +6

No other changes in Color Master. Be sure to turn Color Master to OFF when you are done with your adjustments.

You can fiddle around in the Picture Settings to your heart's content but I find these settings to be good to my eyes for evening viewing in a decently lit, but not bright, room. Put the SRT mode on Auto for good all around performance. As I said earlier, start from the Sports Mode and then the set will switch over to Preference Mode. The settings are independent of input so go ahead and use them on your antenna feed, as well. I find them just right on both my Component DVD feed and the Cable TV input--keeping in mind that analogue SD cable TV is a minefield of varying colours, noise and sharpness levels. Don't forget to set the TheatreLock setting to ON when you are done, so no else can monkey with it when you're not around. (This makes Preference look fairly similar to Standard Mode when you are done, just brighter and more colourful--and of course the greens are darker and more accurate.)

In my opinion, there is no reason to pay more for the 52XV545. It only sports the 120Hz refresh rate "upgrade" and a few other bells and whistles that most reviewers find to be neither here nor there as improvements to viewing quality.

I can't imagine a better 52 inch LCD set--especially for the price! It even has good off axis viewing :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts