Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rd-xs34

I am experiencing the same problem with my new DVD recorder. I have tried to download the TV Guide using the digital cable box and had it scroll through the channels for days without results. My brother-in-law suggested I plug the cable directly in to the DVD Recorder and change the settings. I did that and, of course, got no TV Guide. The Toshiba technical support people tell me it's a problem with Rogers Cable here in Thornhill (north of Toronto). The Rogers Cable people tell me it's a probelm with Toshiba. The Toshiba help desk also tells me that TV Guide is a free service and can be discontinued at any time! I pointed out to them that their advertising on the box implies strongly that a TV Guide will be available and that you will be able to use the machine with this feature. I have been in touch with Toshiba's tech people many times since I bought the machine a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact, the lastest tech wizard had me reset my machine and I'm staring at a message that has been on the machine for a half hour or more warning me not to turn the machine off or unplug it because it is resetting. So far my opinion is that this DVD recorder is a piece of junk. If I don't resolve these issues today it goes back to Best Buy. My next step is to try my brother-in-law's postal code in the setup and see if I have any success with that. He has a TV Guide on his machine (Panasonic).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
haroldb, the title of your post, with the thumbs down beside the Toshiba model name, leads me to believe that you are blaming Toshiba or blaming the box itself out of your own frustration with the situation, but I think in this case you need to step back a little and see the bigger picture.

As you can see from this thread, TVGOS is not renowned for its stability and availability. One such situation of poor TVGOS service reported in another thread could be traced to the originating station in Buffalo NY so it therefore had nothing to do with Toshiba or Rogers.

Just a tip about the service call and the firmware update: write down the name of the CSR on the phone and make sure that you can call him/her back if you get anything odd happening afterwards so that they will already know what the case is and be able to react.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem

viewer said:
I also had the channel 4 noise on my XS34.

This audio problem on channel 4 is a hardware issue known to Toshiba. They have the fix, which is the installation (or replacement?) of a 4.5 mhz ceramic filter.

I am in Toronto and I have the same problem with channel 6 (CBC) and called Toshiba and they will also will put in a 4.5 mhz ceramic filter. What I like to know do you have your machine fix and are you happy after it has been corrected. I have my machine for about 3 weeks and very happy with it except with the noise background on CBC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Channel 4 noise

Yes I did!

I got my RD-XS34 for about 3 days and i try à lot of thing but now i'm sure about the RD-XS34 have a probleme. I'm on the net to find à solution before send it back to store or Toshiba services.

If i got something else i be back!

Grizzly from Montréal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Time Change

I Have The Toshiba Xs34 For About A Month, I Am Wondering With The Time Change Coming Does The Clock Automatically Change Or Does One Have To Change It Manually.

Thanks

·
Banned
364 Posts
Time Change

I have 2 of these units, and I have never used the TVGOS. I setup my postal code, but tell the machine I have no cable service. For any recording, I manually set the time. I mostly record sporting events, which routinely go longer than their scheduled time. The TVGOS systems stop at the set time (unless you tell it to go an hour longer or so), which causes a lot of grief for me.

My problem is the unit I purchased in September has been an hour ahead since DST in October, because you can't change the time if it was set using the TV Guide. The one I bought last month must have a newer software version, because you can reset the TV Guide settings, allowing you to change the clock. The older one doesn't have this, so it will be correct all summer, but wrong again in the winter. It doesn't even reset when the power is disconnected (may be a 5 or 10 minute memory).

I wonder if I can upgrade the firmware to take care of this problem. Other than that, I love the machine (except for the fan noise, as everyone is aware).

·
Registered
116 Posts
It was posted elsewhere in AVS forum that the firmware is available. You will have to contact Toshiba Support and they will send you the firmware on disc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TVGuide and other settings

Hi,
I'm new and very confused but have found it helpful to read others' posts re newly setting up the Toshiba XS34.

It's over 24 hours now... still no info re channels or listing, and still seems to be cycling (? 1 to about 999?)

Last night, it would flash the time, and then a number (which I've learned from here are the channel numbers), then time again etcetc.

Now, I've noticed that it's *not* flashing the *time* between numbers, but
966 (flashes 6 times)
967 (x6)
968 x6, etc etc

?
I've turned the tv, cable box (Rogers, Ottawa) and XS32 on a few times in last 1 1/2 days
(obviously because I thought that was the only way to check if the dang thing was ready or not!!). . . have I interrupted something and is it starting over each time?

If I may ask some other questions re setup (and yes, I've read the FAQ pages . . .very good, but I till cannot find my exact situation)

My connection is thus:
-wall to splitter

-splitter "TAP" to tv (it has PIP so was told when I first set up a couple of yrs ago that "digital signals cannot be split" so need one signal to TV directly), and other goes to to cable box.

-I've simply 'swapped in' the DVD for the VCR, using the same cables in place for VCR which has worked great taping shows by highlighting Rogers online listings (turns them red):

-cable box to DVD with RWY (red/white/yellow -?RCA) cables

-DVD to TV with RWY

-one diagram I found on FAQ link showed RWY from cablebox to VCR, but then used coaxial cable to TV

? do they both have to be the same (either RWY *OR* coax?)

-also,
I need to be able to copy old VCR tapes to DVD (why I haven't rented PVR!!)

I was told that 'anything which is on TV can be DVD'd...but that doesn't hold true. . . I've tried briefly, and can get digital cable stations (TMN- 301 and up) on HDD but not whats playing on VCR as of now (VCR goes directly to TV)
BUT
I have a set of piggyback RW cables (extra not used) which I think came when Rogers first worked on how to set this up (ended up with nothing from any written Guides)...not sure if I should put them where?!

I have more confidence in you folks than the people at BestBuy and Future Shop. . . the BB chap told me "DVR's cannot tape anything higher than channel 80"

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
TVGOS Problems

In the last 2 days I've had Rogers blame Toshiba, and Toshiba blame Rogers and TVGuide onscreen.

Unfortunately, I'm new to all this (where's the glossary link?!) and don't understand enough to know who IS on first!

I have spent 2 days waiting for a new Toshiba DVR RDXS34 to set/programme/identify/read or whatever itself, so that I can programme the dang thing to tape future shows.

Late today the Toshiba rep basically said TVGOS 'has been having trouble in this area'...

There was no timeline to solve this
and suggested that I rehookup everything so that the cable goes :

from wall to splitter ...
-one side directly to TV with PIP (have done this setup for 2 yrs with VCR)
-other side to DVR,
-*then* to cablebox,
-then to tv

I'm pretty sure that means I can use NEITHER the TVGOS
**NOR**
the Rogers onscreen guide to programme future shows!!

AAARRRGGGHHH

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got the Panasonic DVD recorder a couple of years ago now. I couldn't get the Rogers box to recognize the code for the IR blaster to work, though it worked fine with a Panasonic vcr. In the end, I got a PVR (now the HD one) and only use the DVD recorder to save specific shows recorded on the PVR. Bit of a waste but I can make DVD's of shows I want to keep or to send to my brother in the UK.
The program guide you mention sounds like something geared to US systems, like Tivos (though I understand there's a fix for it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
'VCR Commander' work for DVR instead of TVGOS?

The Rogers onscreen guide has worked wonderfully setting the VCR to record. . . it uses a "VCR Commander", a cable which goes from cablebox to be taped on the front of the VCR under/over the IR receiver. You programme onscreen (listings turn red); cablebox and VCR must be off before record time, then they both turn on at the set time and the cablebox 'tells' the VCR which channel to record. (You may watch TV on lower channels during all this process.)

I'd imagined (naively!!) that the new DVR would simply 'swap in' to the system in place of the VCR (I saw the TVGuideOnScreen logo, but it didn't mean anything to me and I thought you could use it or not, like VCRPlus)

The Toshiba DVR comes with a similar cable called G-Link, but it goes *from* the DVR *TO* the cablebox....so I guess the DVR is now supposed to tell the cable which channel to turn to??

It's the TVGOS setup which has been cycling for 2 days but apparently cannot find the TVGuide signal to download the programme listing to the DVR.

Does anyone think the VCR commander would work on the DVD? (If I can find a Toshiba code to enter)? so I can ignore the TVGOS which I can't seem to get anyway!

I'm so confused now that I'm afraid to disconnect anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rogers and TVGuide on screen

The question is why do others elsewhere with different DVRs also have problems with TVGOS. . . . . does Rogers somehow block the TVGuide info
( to force people to use their PVR)?

My original comment **was** re Rogers blaming Toshiba and vice versa, so ultimately not getting help accessing the Rogers channels on DVR.

So, seems logical that a Rogers-specific forum might have useful info re this issue.

Do Rogers users in other cities have problems?
Do other Canadian cable company users also have problems with TVGOS?
Does TVGOS work fine in the US?
Are the problems with this only in Canada?

BTW, I have previously posted to the Toshiba forum,
and
'sent private' to someone who posted specifically on this issue,
but no responses.

I just really need someone more knowledgeable than I (not hard!) to kindly help me sort this out so I can get my equipment back on the shelves!

·
Registered
41 Posts
TVGOS in Regina? Accesscomm.ca

Got my RDXS34 from BestBuy.ca on Fri Mar 31. It's been turned off nights since then, but no TVGOS listings. Anybody in Regina have any success with this system?

FYI, it's Accesscomm Digital with a Motorola STB (DCT2000). I currently have it hooked up through the video cables, not the RF connection. Is that a problem anyone is aware of?

The DVR is controlling the STB fine, it appears. As soon as I power off the DVR it starts switching channels frantically for hours. Only been off a max off 13 hours at a time since Friday, but it has been off at least 8 hours each night.

Anyway, anybody having any success with TVGOS in Regina?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Is TVGOS carried in the VBI information from PBS stations? If it is, it may be like the "Autoclock" feature that doesn't work for many of us on Rogers (it does work for some). See the following thead on the autoclock.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40329

nkm, please put your location in your profile, it often helps us help you.

nkm, you may also wish to do a search for TVGOS using the site's search engine. There are a few previous threads on the topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RD-XS34 Problems in Ft. McMurray, AB

I bought my 2nd Toshiba DVD recorder a month ago. The TV Guide has never
worked, the features and menus are brain dead compared to my other non-TV Guide recorder. The time-set setup menu being not accessible.
Sometimes the recorder turns on but does not record and will not shutoff because it's "recording". A few scheduled recordings have not happened.
The TV Guide schedule seems to be easily confused by other recorder functions when it is preparing to record. My older recorder just won't let you do anything that conflicts with recording.

When daylight saving changed, the XS-34 did not update it's time.

Searching the web found mention of a firmware upgrade.
I emailed Toshiba service at [email protected] with my problems and model & SN of the recorder.

They responded by mailing me an upgrade disk (10 days ago, still waiting).
I hope that this will correct the time setting issue and other TV Guide issues.

Everyone who has one of these recorders should register and complain to
Toshiba via email. This will get you an upgrade and hopefully improve the
product.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re my (ex)Toshiba and non-functioning TVGOS
(and it seems this applies to other brands with TVGOS, in other cities, with other cable companies)

I've received a reply from my query to TVGOS:

"It is possible that our data is unable to pass through your cable box.
Our data will only pass over an analog signal and if the cable provider
is sending digital signals to your cable box for our host station
(CJOH), then that would explain why you are not getting listings through
your cable box."

They then ask me to provide more diagnostic info (from digital photos or copied from screen) re particulars of DVR.

Unfortunatley I gave up a few days ago and returned the Toshiba DVR/HDD, and like so many others have rented the Rogers DVR...It works beautifully so far BUT doesn't burn, one of things I really wanted!!

SOOOOO,
-57, you've said the signal doesn't pass in 'some areas'. . . CAN Rogers simply *decide* whether or not to "pass" the needed signal?

-Going back to the Toshiba, is there a way of
-totally disabling/bypassing/or ignoring the TVGOS?
and
-programming recordings using the (MUCH easier) Rogers onscreen guide?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am curious,
where did you buy your unit?
i spoke to toshiba canada yesterday,
and they refused to send me the 'fix'
simply because i bought my unit from costco.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toshiba RD-XS34 in Ft. McMurray

Hi;

I bought my XS-34 at BestBuy in Edmonton.
My 1st DVD recorder (XS-32 ?) was bought at Costco, and if they had any
XS-34's I might have bought it there too.

Looks like Costco is doing their own importation and Toshiba considers them
grey market.

draoi said:
i am curious,
where did you buy your unit?
i spoke to toshiba canada yesterday,
and they refused to send me the 'fix'
simply because i bought my unit from costco.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Procedure for setting up tvgos, satellite, & manual recording

here is the procedure for setting up a toshiba rd-xs34 to work with satellite,
i have not bothered w/ the g-link as the different boxes
make figuring this out a nuisance.
for the time, we are using a bell expressvu (echostar) 3100
but will probably be switching due to bell canada's inability
to progress w/ technology.

the procedure:

1. Notes regarding this procedure:
a. All steps were accomplished and documented utilizing the Toshiba ‘SE-R0144' Remote Control
b. The options following the dot leaders are my selections which may change for your configuration
c. Presumption is that only a satellite system is connected
d. The firmware is “YG1200" which must be obtained on a proprietary disc from Toshiba
e. ‘Guide and Clock reset’ has been performed

2. The ‘Time and Date’ settings MUST be set (‘Setup’ | ‘Initial Settings’ prior to configuring the ‘TVGOS’. Use an accurate clock, preferably a computer connected to the internet which is set to ‘Automatically synchronize with and Internet time server’ or a mobile telephone.

3. First time after ‘Guide and Clock reset’ has been performed:
a. “What would you like to do now?”
b. Select “Setup TV Guide On Screen now”
c. Press ‘Enter’
d. Press ‘Enter’

<<<<< OR >>>>>

4. If “Remind me to set it up later” or “Don’t remind me again” was selected on first ‘Boot’ after reset:
a. Press the ‘TV Guide’ button
b. Press ‘Enter’

<<<<< Then >>>>>

5. “Which country is your DVD Recorder located in?” “Canada”

6. Press ‘Enter’

7. “Please enter the 6-Character postal code where your DVD Recorder is located” “Z 9 Z 9 Z 9"
a. This may be anything as is simply populating the field

8. Press ‘Enter’

9. “Do you have cable service connected to this DVD Recorder?”

10. Select “Yes”

11. Press ‘Enter’

12. “Is a cable box connected to this DVD Recorder?”

13. Select “Yes”

14. Press ‘Enter’

15. “Please indicate which DVD Recorder input the cable box is plugged into” “Line 1"

16. Press ‘Enter’

17. The ‘G-Link’ information screen appears next (the G-Link device does NOT need to be pugged in)

18. Press ‘Enter’

19. “What brand of cable box is connected to this DVD Recorder?”

20. Select “Not listed”

21. Press ‘Enter’

22. Press ‘Enter’

23. Screen displays “Code testing in progress...**” while testing, then displays:

24. “Is your cable box now tuned to channel 9?”

25. Select “Yes” (even though nothing happened in the testing step)

26. Press ‘Enter’

27. “Do you have an antennae connected to your DVD Recorder?”

28. “No”

29. Press ‘Enter’

30. “Are the above settings correct?”

31. “Yes, end setup”

32. Press ‘Enter’

33. Screen with TVGOS information displays

34. Press ‘Enter’

35. More TVGOS information displays

36. Press ‘Enter’

37. You should now be at the screen displaying whatever signal your are either sending (internal source) or receiving (external source) or a blank screen (no source). There may (probably will) be a delay while the configuration information is being saved.

:end

you are now ready to record,
you will have to set your stb to auto tune
and your xs34 to manual record
which will now work as documented by toshiba.

enjoy
;r

p.s. this is a workaround
anyone who has need for this should email toshiba
to express disappointment in their failure to
configure the product to be compatable with current technology.
if you do so,
please be polite and articulate;
so the feedback can not be easily dismissed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My TVGOS is dead - was working until earlier this week, now no listings at all - not even channels. Has been working fine for months (although was out in January this year). I'm with Rogers in Toronto - i heard they blocked the signal earlier this year - since i see no channels at all perhaps TVGOS is simply down

21 - 40 of 144 Posts