Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forum – got some help from what I’ve read so far on various posts on the boards, but now I’m just plain confused. :confused:

I’ve just purchased the Toshiba RD-XS32 HDD/DVD recorder, and would appreciate any help on how I’ve hooked it up to TV and BEV satellite.

Satellite cable from wall to Monster Power Centre HTS800,
A cable from Monster to BEV 3100 (Satellite In),
Coax cable from 3100 (TV Set Out) to TV (Ant-1)
S-video from 3100 to DVD recorder (Input 1)
Component video cable from DVD recorder to TV (ColourStream HD-1)
IR control cable hooked up to DVD recorder (Channel Change)

Initial settings on DVD recorder:
TV/Cable – set to TV (wasn’t sure if it had to be Cable?)
Channel setting and Guide channel setting stumps me, though I’ve tried.

Set Top Box setting:
Cable/DBS: set to DBS
Select Input: set to Line1
IR Control: set to On
Brand Type: set to 092 (even tried the 100 for Echostar DSS)

What I can do:
1) Watch all satellite programs,
2) Watch DVD movies on DVD recorder,
3) Record satellite channel I’m currently watching onto HDD (have not tried recording to DVD-R yet), and have been able to watch what I’ve recorded.

What I can’t figure out:
1) Timer recordings doesn't work, and channel change using IR Control doesn't work - DVD recorder cannot scan the satellite channels,
2) Will VCR Plus+ work with my connections?
3) Most importantly, do I have the right connections? (some posts I’ve read stated that I should hook all to the DVD recorder and control everything from there).

I’ve been happy with my purchase thus far, though haven’t yet fully explored what this puppy can do - read on posts that I can watch a program and record a diff program at the same time, can also go back and watch the beginning of a recording while it continues to record, etc.. it can probably cook dinner for me too ;) .

Many thanks!

·
Banned
739 Posts
ok, go easy on me because i'm not exactly an expert in this feild. lol

first of all, why are you using "Coax cable from 3100 (TV Set Out) to TV (Ant-1)" and "Component video cable from DVD recorder to TV (ColourStream HD-1)"?

s-video is far and away much better, am i missing something?

the rd-xs32 won't control either of my 2 year old receivers, a 6000 bev and a sammy ts-160 (directv).

you CAN record while watching a recorded program.

get back to me buddy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took the plunge as well and got myself the same machine. I am not sure about those conections and what they have to do with the recorder/tv, but my question is about surround sound. I have a simple dolby pro logic receiver that i purchased a long time ago. It isnt dolby digital pro logic 2. It is dolby pro logic in its simplest form. How do i get to enjoy this with a recorded event form the dvd recorder. What settings do i have to have in order to receive surround sound? I have tried but i get no sound from my rear speakers. can someone help me out with what settings the audio should be in? thanks....

·
Banned
739 Posts
if you have the rd-xs32 going through your reciever, you shouldn't have any problems.

do you have the right setting for recording?

i leave mine on "D/M1".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JT.. I'm the one who's probably missing something...

I used the coaxial cable that came with the DVD recorder coz I haven't gotten around to purchasing another s-video (guess I should do it now). Should I have just used the standard cable for now?

When I purchased the recorder, the salesperson said that the component video cable is best for the DVD to TV connections. Was he right?

So if the rd-xs32 can't control your older receivers, does this mean you can't record a program and watch a different program at the same time? This would apply to me coz I can only record what I'm currently watching on TV.

·
Banned
739 Posts
by "standard cable", i'm not sure what you mean, if you mean rca cables, yes, their better than coaxial cable. rca cables have red, white and yellow connectors with the yellow being for video and the other 2 for audio.

coaxial is the lowest quality connection you can have.

s-video is best for anything OTHER THAN a dvd or high definition programming.

component cables are better than s-video, rca and coaxial for a dvd or high definition.

you can't record a program and watch a different program at the same time THROUGH THE RD-XS32.

what i do for example is i'll use the rd-xs32 to record one program while i watch another from a different source. to clarify, i can be recording expressvu, with s-video, and watch directv through my high defintion setting on my tv with componet cables even if i'm watching sd programming.

i'm not great at explaining things so if you don't understand, just say so and i'll try again. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you've explained things great.. thanks!

it's too bad that I can't record a program on the rd-xs32 and watch another program at the same time, and even take advantage of timer recordings. But I can still record a program that I'm watching, so I'll count myself lucky (it beats having to search around for blank tapes to use with the old VCR!)..

thanks again.. you've been very helpful!

·
Banned
739 Posts
no problem, have you tried pausing live tv yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope, haven't tried pausing live tv yet.. I read that you can do this by using the Timeslip button, which allows the program to be stored on the HDD for later viewing... so cool..

speaking of HDD - in your experience, how many 1 hr recordings can you make on the HDD before it's full? The SP mode says that total recording time is 122mins with 4.7GB unused - what does this mean? With an 80GB hard drive, I'm assuming that I can record more than one 2hr program on the HDD.

·
Banned
739 Posts
with "timeslip", you can just hit the button if you have to take a phone call or a crap and come back when your done and just hit play.

when on the highest quality recording setting (one hour), it holds 17 hours or 17 one hour recordings. in contrast, on the lowest quality setting, it holds 103 hours. there's alot of settings in between though.

the "sp" mode is the "normal" setting. it gives you the best quality available with enough space for a movie (most movies are less than 120 minutes).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again, JT.. you're the rd-xs32 expert!!

would you know why the rd-xs32 can't control the receivers? I'm curious to know, since it seems like a waste to have a machine that can program a recording, but we can't do it using our receivers.

I sent an email inquiry to Toshiba Canada asking them why. Hopefully I'd hear back from them.

·
Banned
739 Posts
oh god, i am definently far, far from an expert. i only know the basics.

here's a forum i started on the rd-xs32 and you'll see what i'm talking about, i can't understand what they're talking about. lol

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=490616

oh ya, good luck getting toshiba to call you back, they're terrible that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
helpful thread.. learned more stuff on the xs32.. now I'll just have to try it and see if it works for me..

thanks for sharing it..

·
Banned
739 Posts
no problem buddy, i think these machines are wonderful, i really do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will not get a reply from a Toshiba Email (still waiting myself)... Call them.

092 is the code I needed to get my old Starchoice receiver to work. IR works great now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i still cant seem to get dolby pro logic surround working on playback of recorded material. Can anyone help me out? What could i be doing wrong? what have i not connected or badly connected? thanks in advance..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turns out I don't need to call Toshiba coz, through trial and error, I got the IR to work - I used the 100 code. I can change channels using either the remote control of the 3100 or the number buttons on the xs32 remote..

because the IR is now working, I can also do timer recordings.. yippee!

I changed the TV/Cable in the initial settings of the xs32 to CABLE (I originally had TV). I also removed the cable I had connected from the 3100 to the TV (don't know why I did this in the first place), so my connections are now:
satellite from wall to BEV 3100 -> S-video from 3100 to XS32 -> Component video cable from XS32 to TV.

when I setup a timer recording, it defaults to L1 for channel. I then change this to the channel I want to record (hit Enter on L1 and input the channel or scroll up and down to the channel you want), set the start and end time, etc. Pls note that I keep the "Select Input" on the set top box setting to L1.

so today, I set up a timer recording.. left the 3100 and xs32 turned on.. turned off the TV.. and went shopping... came back home and my program was recorded!

·
Banned
739 Posts
speezer said:
i still cant seem to get dolby pro logic surround working on playback of recorded material. Can anyone help me out? What could i be doing wrong? what have i not connected or badly connected? thanks in advance..
it has to be either the audio connections in or out of the rd-xs32 or your settings.

you've checked all 3?

VeeOne: good stuff, enjoy and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
joetoronto, where do you have your audio jacks plugged in? which input/output? i guess trial and error will solve my prob.

·
Banned
739 Posts
sorry speezer, i didn't get an email notification to your post for some reason.

i don't understand your question, what options do you have for audio connections?

do you have your recorder going directly to your tv or are you running it through a audio receiver like me?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts