Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all!!

So, for a while now, when I turn on my TOSHIBA 46RF350U, there is a discolored line (or lines together) running down the right side of my set. After about 30-45 minutes of the TV being on, it disappears, so, I havent been too concerned.

I thought read something about 'lazy' lcd cells or something, is that it? Can it be fixed easily?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Try flexing the panel when the set first comes on with the lines. If they change or go away, there is a good chance that your panel is bad. It can sometimes be repaired by taking the back off and carefully placing a wedge between the frame and the edge of the panel while watching the lines in the picture. If the lines go away after doing this, then your panel is definitely bad. This repair could be temporary, but it may last until something else fails and you can buy a new one because they are so inexpensive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, either way, the whole panel is bad?

Gosh...well, you would suggest takin the back off and bending the area where the line is.....hmmm?

Ok, i will try

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Here's a list of things to check. You may wish to try unplugging the TV overnight to see if a "reset" fixes things. Also, are you seeing this on all inputs? I noted the various items you have in your "location".

Is it on the "TV" input as well - you can go there even if you don't have an antenna...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694 Things to check.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I would flex the panel before taking the back off to see if it makes any difference. If it does, then I would take the back off and see if a wedge will work. The connections on the top (and sometimes the side) are just thin, flexible ribbon cables that are very fragile. You can also lightly tap the top and side to see if that makes any difference as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its on ALL inputs...at first I thought it was something to do with the side that the line occurs on, bumped up to an outside (cold) wall, but, I dunno how much merit that would hold.

And 57, your advice and posts have helped me in the past, i appreciate it :)

What kind of technique would I use to 'flex' the panel? And do I do the tapping thing with the back off?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You can tap it with the back on or off. To flex the panel, I would hold the offending side with both hands and move one had forwards and the other one backwards, as though you were trying to twist it. Tapping the top and side is probably the most effective way, though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried flexing, with very little effect and tapping did nothing....Like I said, it goes away after 30 minutes of the TV being on, so, I guess I can live with it until I get my 60" this year sometime:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE...

Now there is a single pixel GREEN line going vertical, top to bottom...permanently.

Is it worth it opening up the back? Tapping the top makes it go darker (its quite a light green)...I dunno, Im pissed, spent most of my extra $$ on Xmas, and now the TV goes for a crap!

I will NEVER buy a Toshiba TV again, this thing is only 3 years old or so.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You will find that all the TV manufacturers have similar problems with some of their TV's. Because of this, there is no more brand loyalty with customers, and the manufacturers don't really care because the next customer will have the same problem with his Sony, will get mad at Sony and will buy a Toshiba next time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
***Update***

So, my Blu ray player has wireless internet and streams Youtube.,..I found a video about stuck pixels, and, it runs a few test pattern moving color screens, and, LOW AND BEHOLD, it gets rid of the line!!!

wow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts