·
Banned
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw these today at Future Shop.

46HMX85 $2799
52HMX85 $3399
62HMX85 $3999

When pressed, the FS rep offered the 52HMX85 including the official Toshiba stand for $3399 ! Great deal.

The picture looked fantastic... even though it was probably the out of box settings. Also noted the overall picture looked better than the HD2+ models in store. They also look great in thier glossy black livery.

Almost bought one... the only thing holding me back was the fact that the speakers are side mounted. This makes the TV 10 to 11" wider than speakers mounted below screen. I suspect it may sound better with side mounted speakers, but I have home theatre speakers anyway. I wish they would make TV's without speakers at all. Really, how many people would by this TV and not have a seperate surround sound system?

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer and see how the new Samsung's look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 62mxh84....shop around!!! that's not I great price for the 52"
I got mine at FS in Apr. of this year..cheaper than your 52" price
Go in with other quotes...they'll match the price

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well it could be argued you bought at the end of the product cycle and this is the price for the start of the new cycle. This is the pro and con of each.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the Cinema Series (the HMX) worth the extra $300 over the HM?

Also, these have the HD2+ chip that I hear are better that HD3 - correct?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think they have the HD4 chip.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
superlion said:
Is the Cinema Series (the HMX) worth the extra $300 over the HM?

Also, these have the HD2+ chip that I hear are better that HD3 - correct?
They have the HD4 wobulated chip... you can tell by the diamond shape pixel vs square pixel. The concept of a wobulated chip seems like a step backwards, but you really need to see it implemented in a TV... the picture looks great... and more natural (less digital). The real world is not made up of little dots!

$300 premiumfor HMX? Yes... why would you spend over $3000 and not pay a little extra for premium features? You can't come back in 6 months and add those features later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More Specs

This is a good article on the new models for 2005. The HMX does indeed use the "HD4" (720p) which has 1280x720 micromirrors, just like the HD2+. It only alludes to the wobulation being used on the higher end 1080P models. It would be great if Toshiba actually updated their site. :p

Ultimate AV: Toshiba goes Native

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a quick note here guy's that the 95 Series is not aailable in Canada we have the 85 series, which uses the new HD3 chip...I was checking out the new 52" last week...It had a pretty decent picture ..As Micheal has pointed out on a couple of occasions he sees this as an improvement over last years..

fuz

·
Registered
928 Posts
Are you sure its not the HD4 chip in the 85.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tdti1 said:
Are you sure its not the HD4 chip in the 85.
I saw diamond shaped pixels on the screen... this indicates wobulation.
The 85 series use HD4 with 640 x 720 mirrors.

Also, I believe the 95 series are US only and have cablecard with ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What are the real differences between the HM (Theatre Wide) and HMX (Cinema Wide)? Checking the Toshiba web site the only difference I could see was that HM had 9 PIP windows and HMX had 12 - Plus a big price!

How would you compare the Toshiba 52HM/HMX85 to the Panny 52LCX65?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Actually the pixel structure is still a square one ... but the diamond pattern gets in front of your eyes to make it hard to see the panel structure underneath it.

I was working on the 52" 85 unit yesterday afternoon. Once again, similar post calibration characteristics to the 46" I worked on last week. A bit more red push on this unit though ... which cannot be corrected in the service menu. Just goes to show you that proper color decoding may be a pipe dream.

Regards

·
Registered
86 Posts
The HD4 and xHD4 models are the x95 models that are on the verge of shipping in the US.

The x85 models here in Canada are old HD2+ technology. This comes right from the Toshiba Canada website. There is no mention of x95 release in Canada on the website but I think it will happen eventually.

The new HD4 chips have significantly higher contrast ratios. In the US, Mits and Samsung are currently shipping HD4/xHD4 (720p/1080p) models. Although there are reports of Samsung lip sync issues, the overwhelming consensus is that the PQ on these new models is breathtaking.

So far Canadians are getting shafted on the HD4 technology. Samsung released a new 720p HD4 model in the US (x67 series). They then released (in Canada only) the x64 series with exactly the same new floating cabinet design. HOWEVER inside they used HD2+ technology.

Don't get fooled into older technology unless the PQ/price works for you. The new HD4 sets (either 720p or 1080p) will be worth waiting for (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

IF the image is an improvement over the previous year's model, what difference does it make what chip it is using? It could be using little hampters for its image engine. :)

Don't obsess over the chip ... what is important is the overall implementation. Good chip ... bad implementation = bad image.

Regards

·
Registered
86 Posts
HD2+ contrast ratio ~2500:1
xHD4 contrast ratio ~5000:1

C'mon how can you argue that the technology inside the TV does not matter.
Sniff around the AVS forum for some first hand reviews of HD2+/xHD3/xHD4 side by side comparisons. Not one person has felt the HD2+ was superior.

The objective and subjective data out there support my point that the xHD4 will give you a better picture.

If you are happy with the price point and the picture then jump all over the HD2+. If you have the money and patience for the HD4/xHD4 you will be rewarded with a better picture. Discounting the latest technology with arguements of 'the website is full of errors' and 'its still a better picture that last year' is just lame.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I think you're reading too much into my comments. I never stated a preference for any chip. All I said was that Toshiba Canada's website is often riddled with errors, and that the image on-screen is more important than the technology inside the box.

You can prove me wrong on the first part, but how can anybody disagree with the 2nd part?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you guys think the Toshibas are better than Samsung? Just when I have my mind made up I hear Samsung has the HLR6168W and HLR6164W out and they sound impressive.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Well since the Samsungs have color decoder and color space controls and the Toshiba does not, that gives them a leg up on overall image quality.

Regards

·
Registered
346 Posts
The only thing that would stop me from buying a Samsung is the audio lag issue. I'm hoping the Toshiba models will not exibit it.

1 - 20 of 628 Posts