Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting the Toshiba 34HF85C 34" WideScreen HDTV.

1. What does the "C" stands for in the model number??

2. What's the difference between 34HF85 and 34HFX85?

3. I know there were problems with last years model - the 34HF84.. but i guess Toshiba would have dealt with all of them problems. Comments anyone? pros/cons compared to a Sony?

4. Does the futureshop price seem OK?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010061197&catid=11302&atab=2&spviewed=&logon=&langid=EN

Thanks!
Mikey411

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What kind of problems did the 34HF84 have last year? I've only read pretty good reviews about the TV.

Was gonna buy the 34HF84 at Leons for $1499 but then saw the flyer today for the newer 34HF85 for $1299 at Future Shop plus a $100 gift card. Giving the 34HF85 serious consideration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies MichaelTLV & GaryE

I went to Futureshop early afternoon today and told the sales guy that I would buy the TV on the spot if he could include free delivery.. almost went thru until he found out that it came with a $100 gift card.
I went to a diff. FS store and they gave me the deal.
So by Tuesday evening, I'll be the proud owner of a Toshiba 34HF85C 34" WideScreen HDTV :D
I'm not an expert on HDTVs but I will give you my review of the TV when I get it up an running :p

Also, what do u guys think Also, I'm thinking on taking the future shop free Rogers HD program:
Purchase any HD Compatible TV and receive 10 months of HD programming and 10 months of HD Cable Box Rental FREE*
What do ya gals/guys think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GaryE said:
What kind of problems did the 34HF84 have last year? I've only read pretty good reviews about the TV.

Was gonna buy the 34HF84 at Leons for $1499 but then saw the flyer today for the newer 34HF85 for $1299 at Future Shop plus a $100 gift card. Giving the 34HF85 serious consideration.
I didn't personally see any bad reviews but my coworker told me that he saw bad reviews.. just did a search on 34HF84 and nada..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I recently (2 months ago) bought the 30HF85C 30" version. The first one had geometry issues and was exchanged. The second one has been superb. Most of the complaints of the HF84 and HF85 series have been with geometry issues. This is common for CRT HDTVs though.

Secondly, there is a lot of cafuffle about the 30" and below CRT TVs of Toshiba's being outsourced to Orion Electronics in Thailand to manufacture, meanwhile the 34" and aboves are still made by Toshiba. Whether this makes a difference, I don't know. I do tend to believe this theory though as the box my 30HF85C came in says "Product of Thailand" on the side, and in the store the outside case of the 26" and 30" HF85's had the same look, while the 34HF85 was different on the back and came with a different remote and had different OSD menus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings,

I am looking forward to hearing good news from you. Just remember to
calibrate your set before making your true review. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
canfish said:
Greetings,

I am looking forward to hearing good news from you. Just remember to
calibrate your set before making your true review. lol
LOL.. i'm a newbie.. thanks! ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Soo Mikey, How are you liking the TV? Where's your review? LOL Any problems with it so far?

I'd still like to get one since FS has it on sale again.

Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GaryE said:
Soo Mikey, How are you liking the TV? Where's your review? LOL Any problems with it so far?

I'd still like to get one since FS has it on sale again.

Thanks,
sup GaryE, i'm seriously thinking of returning the TV.. i'm not quite satisfied with it.. maybe it's because I have not yet calibrated the TV but the PQ on digital cable is really bad(pixelly) ; on dvd thru HDMI/Component, the PQ is not that good ; as for HDTV, there are only a few channels (e.g HDPBS) that had great PQ..
I'm thinking of returning it and getting the JVC AV-30W585 instead.

Question: would futureshop charge me again for pickup/delivery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pricing on HF85

A local store is offering the HF85 for $1000. Does that seem like a deal? From what I have read in this thread people are generally pleased with this model. Is there an alternative. It is getting hard to find a CRT at 34"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts