Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a month of hype on the new show "Top Gear USA" on the History channel, I was all ready to watch the premier last night at 10 PM...UM, NO...History Canada had "Gladiator" on, guess its the US channel only....bummer, I really wanted to see it, I guess I can try and find it on the web to watch the episodes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Based on the fact that a viper was the fastest car around their track I can only assume that it's laid out with a bias towards straight line speed so that 'american' cars do better, I guess we'll see if they send a veron SS around it or not.

That being said the show wasn't as bad as it could have been, I think their camera work isn't as sharp as the original series and their track location has the problem that there's nothing really in the background so everything seems to be going slow.

I've never watched the other top gear clones so I don't know how it compares to them.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've watched every episode of the original Top Gear and even while the first season of the UK TG wasn't that great, it was miles ahead of the US version and the current version of the UK TG can't be topped by anything right now. The hosts seemed to be trying too hard to be witty etc and it showed, I watched the whole episode but it was a struggle. Doubt I'll watch any more of it. I was also pissed that this wasn't on History Canada

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've watched both the Australian and Russian versions. I can't say either one has the same level of charm and silliness as the original. The Russian version was highly problematic in that they're still working on developing a sense of humour after the fall of communism.

I'll still check out the American version though. It'll give me a chance to check out the competition since I'm hoping to create a Canadian version for my own television channel. I even have a Mega Challenge lined up: a cross-Canada road trip on the Trans-Canada Highway... in used Ladas! :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did watch it last night streaming from the History channel web site, 1 good thing, no ads...lol.....so I will reserve my opinion till after seeing a few shows.

All I can say is, it was just ok.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My expectations are very low, since it would take a lot to supplant the humour, quirkiness and hyperbole of the British show.

I also imagine the "track" on the US version will be a retired runway, or at most a left-turn oval :)

Might have to take a peek at this, but more looking forward to TG Series #16 in the New Year.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'll have to check this one out.... I enjoyed watching Battle of the Super cars on speed. with Paul Tracy(im a big fan so very bias!)

·
Registered
543 Posts
After seeing a month of hype on the new show "Top Gear USA" on the History channel, I was all ready to watch the premier last night at 10 PM...UM, NO...History Canada had "Gladiator" on,
That's why in Canada, we have History Television, eh?

Yes, we do miss some good shows from the US and International History Channel, but being a huge Top Gear fan, I can't help but somehow question whether or not the US version would be any good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Top Gear USA debut

Top Gear USA has launched its first season on History Channel US with a US based hosts. Although it is not carried in Canada yet ( I believe it will be in 2011), you can watch it on www.history.com

I was able to watch the full episode. It seems that for once and unlike NBC, CBS and others, a US site is not blocking canadians to view the show.

Being a big fan of the original Top Gear UK show, it felt a bit weird to watch this US production, still, I like the cars and format. Will see if it survive for a second season... :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Watched it last night. It seemed to be at about the same level of excitement as the Australan Top Gear, which in itself wasn't all that exciting to begin with.

What I really hated however was the slightly condescending attitude whenever they described a show segment. Stop talking down to us! We are not children! Get to the point!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
just finished watching the show....I liked it. Watching the cars get worked over hard on a track is fun... Commentary was fun. Thank god for the big guy.. other wise Tanner would be over whelming.

I watched the BBC versions a few times. I sometimes did not get there humor. Ill tune in to this weekly..

I think someone tuning into this without prior knowledge of the original show would have enjoyed the program.

·
Banned
434 Posts
i love american cars! this show will be astonishingly good because it will feature lots of american muscle. i wouldn't expect much bias towards these cars, so thats good too. i can't wait to watch the first episode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've seen the first two episodes so far and I think it's decent. The hosts look sort of off...but that could be because they have to get used to doing the show. I think it's unrealistic to compare it to the UK version since they have had a 15 season head start. ;)

However, the thing that really ruins the USA version is the commercial breaks. That greatly affects the flow of the show. Not only that, but since they lose 18 minutes of show, it forces them to cut reviews short and there's no news segment (I liked that segment from the UK version).

I do hope that this show becomes successful, because it does look to have potential.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The second episode seemed better, the camera work still isn't there though. I don't understand why you wouldn't have some of the camera crew from the UK show on hire to help you achieve the proper look.

The big thing is the hosts don't have any chemistry, perhaps that comes later but I think that's what bothering me the most. The banter just seems very forced and they don't seem relaxed, even when doing their own segments.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The show is okay, I am not a fan of Tanner at all, he actually really annoys me.

Nowhere near as good as Top Gear UK, but I can see how this show will end up doing well.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well, I'm already bored with it. The hosts have no personality whatsoever, the Mits vs. Skiers competition looked like a huge repeat of one of UK TG's challenges right down to the staged stunts, and worst of all, I've begun "speed watching" the show where I just skip forward every minute and watch at most five seconds of content!

And honestly. If Philippe Létourneau can teach Canada's Worst Drivers to do doughnuts, how could the hosts themselves not manage to reproduce a reasonably simple stunt?

The guide dog pretty much summed up what I think of the US version. ;)

Time for me to push forward a Canadian version of the show.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts