Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Though they don't make much news, feature phone sales still outstrip smartphones, so it's no surprise that the top four are all big players in that market as well as smartphones. Smartphone only companies like RIM, HTC and Apple will take time to reach the top, mixed companies like Motorola, Sony Ericsson, and Huawei have a better chance to cover the market.

Look for ZTE and Huawei to make major strides in North America over the next couple of years as their extremely budget smartphones take over the feature phone segment.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
No surprise on first three. Same placing as last few years. Surprise is no Motorola and Apple in 5th place

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Nokia is definitely no surprise. Samsung makes some nice phones. Mine is about 8 years old and still works like a champ. Asia is a big cell phone market so I am not surprised to see a budget Chinese brand either.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
No surprises. Most people don't think much about Nokia on this side of the pond so that might be a surprise to some.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Nokia was never able to crack the North American Sprint/Verizon nut back in the CDMA heydey, so they and Symbian lost an entire generation of mobile phone users over here apart from AT&T and Rogers on GSM.

When I look at that list it just doesn't seem that long ago to me when Motorola, Qualcomm, Ericsson, Siemens, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, and a few others were very much in the mobile phone game, with product planners looking at ways to turn the Palm Pilot into a phone. ;)

Nowadays the convergence of platforms and capabilities has made it an exciting race again.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Interesting. If this were an Olympic event people would wonder how the two superpowers got shutout of medals.

1. Finland
2. Korea
3. Korea
4. China
5. USA

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Doping scandal?

Seriously, the market is so ever changing that in a few years, the list might see the cheap phone makers get on top. Why can they build a phone for a fraction of the price that can do what a similar phone has in options?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts