Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonloc's Theatre Build
After reading the many posts and other peoples builds, I've decided to embark on my own theater/recroom build. I'm not so great of a handyman but am willing to do a lot of the work myself except the electrical and the plastering. Ive found this forum so helpful and am looking forward to starting this adventure with some guidance and helpful hints from those who have already build their own theaters. I will enclose some pictures of my unfinished basement with some poly bead insulation around it, to keep out that damn Canadian cold. We just moved into our home just before Christmas and now I am in the planning stage of this process. I've been sizing up the basement and have some questions of where to build the theater. There is a section of the basement at the back that would be ideal, however the trunk from the heat pump runs almost the entire length of the basement and now even at its lowest height, all I have is 7' 3" to the base of the duct with an unfinished floor and no soffit around it. Are there any ways of moving the duct without affecting what is was designed to do or without affecting the structural integrity of the house The right side of the basement has a good width and length however the main beam runs through the middle of it and is comprised of a 2" x 6" wall. I could remove the wall and put in some screwjacks( I think that's what they are called). This side also has 2 windows which would affect things as well and the back side of the room would still have the duct running through it but it would be about 15 feet back from the front wall. I'm looking for some helpful hints form someone who has some knowledge with structural design(engineer), or an HVAC guy or someone who has experience in designing home theaters. I would prefer to keep the theater on the back because it would be a little wider than the other option and I would have only 1 window to deal with. Any help would be grateful.

I have more pictures if someone need to make a better decision, just PM me.
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I notice that you drilled all of your holes for your wiring in the bottom 10-20% of the 2x10 floor joists, all in nice rows creating huge structural weaknesses in the floor upstairs. The holes should all have been drilled at mid height of the joists, and probably spaced out more too...

Hope you don't plan to put any heavy furniture or have a large gathering of people in the room above.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beer

I agree Cambo, but the other beer were in a little bar fridge lying next to the small freezer, needless to say I expect over the next few months that door will be open once or twice. As for therealjoeblow's comment about the wires, I had nothing to do with were they were placed on the lower part of the joist. Maybe you know more about those things because your an engineer of some sort but to me they look structurally fine but only time will tell. But thanks for your comment I will do some looking into it. I did speak with a the sheet metal guy today who installed the ductwork and heat pump and I can get a smaller trunk(6" x 22") as opposed to the 8" x 17" I have now but the question is will those extra 2" be worth it. For all of those waiting to jump on that comment about,'What's 2 extra inches", I await your remarks. Not sure what the cost will be, but I think I will stay with what I have and live with the shorter height there which shouldn't affect the screens placement and takeaway from the viewing angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts