Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been confirmed by Roger Petersen, Francis D'Souza and Paul Bliss via their twitter accounts that Tom Hayes of CTV Toronto will be joining Citynews. According to Francis D'Souza he'll be starting at the end of August. No official press release has been given.

Paul Bliss(blissblogs) said:
Ok -answer to ur tweets re:Tom. At the risk of promoting my friends-slash-competitors Everywhere - Hayes is heading to CityNews.
Roger Petersen(rogerfpetersen) said:
Great news for @CityNews, the great storyteller. Tom Hayes, is joining our team. A huge addition for us. Welcome aboard Tom.
Francis D'Souza(cityfrancis) said:
Not till the end of Aug RT @anitaelizar: @rogerfpetersen @CityNews @cityfrancis Is Tom starting tonight?

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I wonder what's going on at CTV News Toronto?! Seems like there has been some behind the scenes issues. There have been a few losses over there recently...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is Ken Shaw? I haven't seen him on the air in over a month.
He's supposedly on "vacation", but I wouldn't be surprise if he dump CTV and went to Global, Citytv or even the CBC. It would be a big blow to Bell having one of its star anchors at its flag ship station decides to quit.

Personally I think Bell is going to destroy CTV from the inside out.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Lets not forget that salaries of the on-air staff have increased over the years and the bean counters may feel that some cheaper talent is available in the market. Most of the CTV talking heads are getting a little long in the tooth and some young blood may be necessary. Regardless of what one may think the local news is there for "bragging rights" and the real money maker is the prime time and other programing package times. Once again the evolution of broadcasting continues to evolve. Within a short period another local news channel will appear for the central ontario market competing with the existing four Canadian all news channels. IMO this is the first salvo in the eventual removal of local news from the flagship stations in this market. Watch and see.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
No doubt about cost of talent. Most new faces on CTV Toronto News look to be in their early 20's. They probably work much cheaper....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts