Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Windsor, ON and I'm 53 miles (85 KM) from TV towers there (looked it up, might be slightly different for FM transmitters) and I just received FM 104.7 WIOT from Toledo, OH with a pair of TV rabbit ears. I realize that FM is somewhere on the VHF frequency and the dipoles will catch that.

I get the station with audible fuzz, but I do get it. My question is, if I get something like this from Stellar Labs and mount it outside, will I get that station clearly, without static?

I can get Chatham, ON very clearly (69 KM) but is in the other direction.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Havjng an outside antenña will improve fhe signal.Wiot coverage reaches Windsor.If there a local station on 104.5 or 104.9 will create interference for wiot.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It looks like there is a low power station from Detroit on 104.7 which maybe cause interference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
On my old school Sansui FM tuner I get nothing at that frequency (with rabbit ears) and two very strong stations are around 104.7. I'm under the assumption that the 1975 FM tuner isn't working at it's best in the present.

On my more modern Yamaha receiver, I get the station, with static... so I was thinking of hooking this one up to a real outdoor FM antenna.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the station last night perfectly on my Yamaha and with a little static on my vintage Sansui. Now it's gone.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
agree with rabbit73...
to me it's cheap enough to try. If it doesn't quite work out, you can always look around for a directional FM antenna
to aim at Toledo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agree with rabbit73...
to me it's cheap enough to try. If it doesn't quite work out, you can always look around for a directional FM antenna
to aim at Toledo.
A little confused. You are agreeing with someone who hasn't replied to the thread?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
oh sorry that was rob... whatever...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the FM antenna that I posted. Knowing Amazon lately, it'll be here in 2 weeks.

I couldn't get 104.7 in the car either. My friend in South Windsor (6 or 7 miles closer) can get it and he listens to it in his car. Rock and Roll stations are getting scarce. 89X turned Country... immediately took it off all my presets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an update, I bought the Stellar Labs outdoor antenna and when I hooked it up inside, I lost channels. Don't think I'm going to bother with the time it'll take to mount it outside. Looks like it's going back to Amazon if rabbit ears performs better than it does.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would probably whip up a simple folded dipole from Quarter Inch Copper Tubing (QICT).
It's relatively cheap and easy to find at the hardware store (ice maker kits, etc), and easy to bend to the shape ya want.
Remembering that a dipole antenna in three dimensions is essentially a donut shape.
If you mount it horizontally it will behave like a bidirectional antenna. If you mounted it vertically you could get an omni pattern from it. Might give ya some options to experiment with. Holl_ands model here is from half inch copper pipe, but am thinking should work nearly as well with qict.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were in your shoes I would probably whip up a simple folded dipole from Quarter Inch Copper Tubing (QICT).
It's relatively cheap and easy to find at the hardware store (ice maker kits, etc), and easy to bend to the shape ya want.
Remembering that a dipole antenna in three dimensions is essentially a donut shape.
If you mount it horizontally it will behave like a bidirectional antenna. If you mounted it vertically you could get an omni pattern from it. Might give ya some options to experiment with. Holl_ands model here is from half inch copper pipe, but am thinking should work nearly as well with qict.
I put the antenna to the receiver at the other side of the house and it cleans up all the local stations quite well but does nothing for the more distant one I was looking for. It's omnidirectional and I would probably need directional to point to Toledo for that station. I doubt it'll do any more if I put it outside as it would need a 40ft - 50ft coax run at the very least.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one side of my house has my computer setup, my breaker is right below and my AC unit is just across the wall, outside.

Tons of interference, I just found out why my other receiver works so much better across the house! Maybe I should put this antenna outdoors, in the clear to see what it can do. Investigating a way for the shortest possible coax run, on the 'good' side of the house.

By this diagram, I'm assuming I want to "point" this antenna to the areas where the signal gathering is the strongest? Omnidirectional and that diagram still shows there are 2 small voids if you mount it incorrectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts