Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
^^^^^^^^^^

I didn't want to mention it, but that's what crossed my mind when I first saw that show. I can't believe someone out there produces that show to air on TV.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
What TLC has Become

TLC gave up being a true learning channel for me way back when it produced a program showing real life operations in all their gory detail. It was a far cry from the excellent history, science and nature programming that was the basis of their original schedule. That was one of the first true "reality" programs. After that they gradually introduced more cheap "reality" series. Today they could be best known as the "Freaks" and "Geeks" channel. Lots to gawk at (fattest humans, conjoined twins, families of eight, the aforementioned Toddlers and Tiaras, even Sara Palin) but nothing of substance in their schedule. In one sense TLC today is a modern version of a carnival sideshow.

Yet despite all the complaints on both sides of the border TLC is seen in the industry as "the model". It is one of the most successful of all cable specialty channels. If that doesn't indicate the sorry state of our society today I don't know what does.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts