Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please note: I didn't put this in WHAT'S ON TV simply because I just want to see what people think. I'm not really talking about the show but what it is about.

First of, last week, I was scanning to find something to watch. I ended up stopping on TLC and I think they were having a marathon of this program. When I looked at the guide and saw there was a little boy entering the competition, I HAD to see it from my own eyes. OMG. :eek:

This show is sick. Not sick as in good but sick to my stomach. Forcing small kids in these pageants (ages few months old to 15) cannot be good. What I saw just wasn't right.

The episode with the little boy made me mad. His mother was making wear green nail polish, saying she wasn't worried on how he would turn out later (which he then says he wants to be a girl), he has a facial, manicure hairstyling, everything. Here is a 5 year old boy that should do what a 5 year old boy do: play with trucks or something. He had a younger brother (3 maybe) that hated these pageants. She even said that boy would be the bodyguard for the pageant boy. Sick I tell you.

When they spoke to little girls, they were not any better. They are very young and saying stuff like I'll own the stage because I have to win money. Some even want to win to prevent mommy from crying . What the heck is going on? Are these parents blind as to how they are shaping their kids to be? I work in a school and I can see how these pageants will make the kids act (as well as those around them teasing them) once they enter middle school or high school.

I watched 2 shows and cursed through both of them. I know, if I don't like it, don't watch it. I get it. I watched because I wanted to see what greed and (mis)fortune can do to people. Of the 2 shows, only one parent and kid seem to be made for it. The mother knew they weren't in it to make money because A LOT of money is what they spend.

The purpose of this thread is this:
I want someone to prove me that these pageants are acceptable and won't affect kids later on. I don't want it to turn into a flaming war or I'll just close it down.

Let's see if I'm the only one thinking this way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Have you seen Little Miss Sunshine? The movie sums up my view of such "events" for either gender. I guess you can watch the show and laugh at it but it isn't doing the victims, the little kids, much good.

I originally come from the land of the rodeo, Stampeder land -- also a problem for many outside cowboy culture. I think, perhaps, it is a case of one cultural outsider looking in at another one.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I view the whole thing as a very sick "industry"....that preys upon weak minded parents (and mostly mothers here...let's not kid ourselves) who are desperate for some "confirmation" from society that they are "beautiful" and "worthy". When I speak of "they" ...I mean that they implant their sense of ego into their child in the pagent.

It's an industry that's very expensive (competition application and travel costs, clothing, makeup, talent lessons, etc etc) and the emotional damage it does to kids is criminal. Pagents have a way of sexualizing little girls too...very very disturbing.

Unfortunately, it is just one of many industries that prey on the self esteem of people (I'm looking at you Diet Industry!!) and unless people find self worth in something outside of themsleves (volunteering etc.) there will always be industries that prey on them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i noticed that my two daughters were recording this show. I locked out TLC using parental controls. This is not a Learning Channel anymore. What is next, toddlers and pole dancing?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well so far, I guess we are on the track.
It's funny you mention pole dancing because the way the mothers "choreograph" their kids performance, the only thing missing was a pole. Little girls of a very young age should NOT dance/gyrate like Aguilera/Spear/Perry and so on.

I think this program should be taken off the air for that reason. It's showing too much of the kid to start with. My wife was with me and even she couldn't believe it. She even asked me if I had PVR'd anymore after the 2 I had. I said no and she was happy....not having to hear me curse at it. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
This show/these competitions/these parents are sickning! The parents are forcing the kids to live out their jaded own fantasies about glory and fame and not aloowing the kids to be kids.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The part that gets me is that the mother, almost all of them, would never be able to enter a "regular" pageant. Most of them are morbidely obese so they use their kid to enter what they would like to do. This is exploitation at its best.

I guess the same applies to little boys and other sports as well. Parents might think they are doing what is best for their kid but in some situations, they are doing the opposite.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Bruno was not far off the mark when he said "We have chosen your baby to be dressed as a Nazi Officer, pushing a wheelbarrow, with a Jewish baby, into an oven!"

I watched that portion of the movie and kept wondering if these were real parents! How about the liposuction? It can't be real. Can it? I guess it does exist.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They already do it for the boys and sports.
I think there is a big difference here. The way these girls look are disturbing. It sickens me, and I am sure I am not alone in that feeling. I also think it is not good forcing your son/daughter into sports in order for the parents can relive some fantasy. However, they are not dressing up the kids in sports in skimpy outfits an making them prance around a stage. IMHO, I think these parents should ALL receive a visit from a social care agency, this is not healthy for these girls.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Toddlers and Tieras = Child abuse is sheep's clothing

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if TLC will be airing them again but please, look at one episode if you haven't and tell me if it looks proper.
I have nieces that are beautiful naturally and would never accept them entering pageants. If they want to enter when they left the house at a mature age, so be it. Until then, they will act like little girls should act. That is, playing with dolls and inventing games.

The parents on these shows are completely out of space. They are pushing the boundaries especially when it comes time to prep their kids. They have stuff done to them that my wife has never had. Truly a sickening show. Quite frankly, it looks more like free pervert programming IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My post was actually directed to anybody who hasn't seen it, not you. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
They already do it for the boys and sports.
The behaviour you are describing also includes girls and sports. As well, there are other extracurricular activities besides sports that parents force their kids into: music lessons, art classes, drama clubs, scouts/girl guides. The topic of this thread proves it. However, I think you are slapping a label on all parents of kids that happen to be involved in sports, to which I take offence.
there is a difference and I do agree the girls looks are disturbing but so is the attitude that parents show regarding sports.

Hockey Canada has a few PSAs regarding very disturbing behavior that is somehow acceptable on the sports field.
The point of the PSA's is that it is not acceptable. Most parents realize this, and abhor the parents that exhibit that behaviour. As a parent of three children of which two play organized sports, and as a former minor hockey official, I can assure you that although the behaviour you are describing does occur in youth sports, it is not inclusive of all parents, and is definitely not deemed acceptable. I can also attest to having witnessed some parents acting in the same manner at non-sporting activities. The behaviour is a desease and the activity, whether it be soccer, beauty pageants, or 4H is merely the conduit.

Back on topic.

Unfortunately, I suspect the presence of television production crews likely reinforce the behaviour in these disfunctional parents.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
yes but regarding sports, it is mostly for the boys as the boys have more pro sports to go into whereas the girls, other then the WNBA, I doubt anyone here can name the Women's Pro Hockey Leagues.

I am not slapping it on all parents, just some parents but like anything the bad things are more noticed than the good things.

I understand that the PSA's point is not acceptable and most parents accept that but there are a lot of parents that don't and the ones that don't overshadow the ones that do. When I say acceptable, I mean, no one goes over to the person and says stop, your embarrassing yourself or go get the rink rat or cops to remove the person from the building.

The reason I posted the PSA was because I have seen this kinda of behaviour when I ref, whether on the lines or with the stripes of minuscule things or things that are common knowledge and they still get upset over.

I agree that sports and pageants aren't the only places where this behaviour is but those are the most recognizable ones.

Back on topic:
I agree

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My friend has put his kid through hockey and was the perfect image as far as supporting his kid. It was the kid that had the last word if he wanted to continue or not in a league. Like in all situations, there are always 2 side of the coin.

As to my original topic, I guess you might be right about the theatrics of the parents. However, it doesn't make it any better. I would like to be able to see in the future and prove myself that these pageant victims will have a normal life afterwards however, I doubt very much.

I'm still having a hard time getting rid of the little boy wearing green nail polish and having mascara to amplify the beauty of his eyes. Sheesh. What is the mother thinking?

·
Registered
379 Posts
First off let me say that I find the whole thing disturbing but to play devils advocate isn't it sort of ironic that later when they are older they are celebrated for what they do whether it is Miss Alabama, Miss America, Miss Universe, etc.

I doubt that people first start getting into beauty pageants when they are 16 or 17 years old so that means that these youth beauty pageants that people find so disturbing is basically a prerequisite to adult beauty pageants that people do not have a problem with.

It is like modeling or acting, most of these kids get taken out of school and left on sets and yet people have no problem bringing their kids to see them in the theater.

You got soccer players who get taken out of S. America or Africa when they are 11 or 12 and brought to Europe and when they are older they are idolized by people.

You got gymnasts who are taken away from their families and train 6 days a week for 4 years and when they go to the Olympics they are celebrated by their country.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts