Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using Tnext.ca for their internet, (specifically DSL FTTN 15mbs)? Is their service, support, billing good?
I posted some info around a year ago on my quest to get faster (than 5mbs) internet out here in the country.
Finally this summer I ran into a Bell tech working on the lines and he said he just hooked up a 19mbs (12mbs sustained) connection 200 yds closer to the CO (node?) from my house. So I went down to my neighbours, 400 yds past my house, further from the CO, and did a speed test: came up 12.9 mbs, good enough for me.
So I'm looking at switching providers and came across Tnext.ca . I have never heard if them, but their price is good, called, and no hidden fees ( dry loop, installation, or modem rental) if you register a credit card and a modem deposit with them. $36.95 ÷tax for unlimited seems pretty good.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with them, or other recommendations?
Thanks.
M.M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did not want to reply until I had a thorough understanding of what I was talking about; I still don't.
In short, this is frustrating as hell.
I called Teksavvy first, they don't offer dsl 15 here; after an isp search, 2 of the tek savvy resellers said yes they do, then, no they can't ( both resellers contact phone #'s are answered by tech savvy, and no one seems to know what the hell they are talking about.) Totally messed up.
In the mean time, a friend 400 meters past me , beyond the CO, node, or whatever, had Bell upgrade his DSL internet; speed test is at. 13~21mbs, upload 1.
Additionally, new neighbours, 200 meters closer to CO node from me, had Bell install DSL, and they get 20 to 30 mbs. He says the tech told him that fibre was put in last year; hard to understand his broken english though.
I have not been able to find a guy working at the CO box lately to confirm.
My neighbour and I are with altimatel. He upgraded from dsl 6 to 15, but only gets a consistant 9/1.
I have old (party)Bell lines from 1972 and would like them replaced.
It seems as if you have to be a Bell customer to get proper service, but even when I call Bell they say we can only get 10/1 out here.
Frustrating.
M.M.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
The confusion is typical. Companies often have inaccurate or out of date information on file. Third party resellers will not upgrade or update infrastructure. Bell might but in depends on the area and circumstances. They may decide the cost is too high for the financial return. The only way to know for sure is to have it installed. The fact the there are nearby installations is a good sign. I would go with the same provider as the neighbours since they appear to have working installations. If it is Bell, it may include a term contract. If the speed or reliability is unsatisfactory, new customers typically have two weeks to cancel without penalty. Once the contract expires, it should be easy to switch to a cheaper provider.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Bell tech was working on the line to fix the neighbours phone line so I talked to him about our line and he looked at it, stating that there was corrosion in places and he made " notes". He also informed me I was 2.2 kms from the node. He said if I was with Bell he could replace it right away, but I"m not with Bell.
A Bell tech is coming in 2 days to replace the line and supposedly into the house so our internet works consistantly.
What questions do I need to ask when he comes so I get a good future-proof installation?
Thank you.
M.M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Bell tech was working on the line to fix the neighbours phone line so I talked to him about our line and he looked at it, stating that there was corrosion in places and he made " notes". He also informed me I was 2.2 kms from the node. He said if I was with Bell he could replace it right away, but I"m not with Bell.
A Bell tech is coming in 2 days to replace the line and supposedly into the house so our internet works consistantly.
What questions do I need to ask when he comes so I get a good future-proof installation?
Thank you.
M.M.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is your existing line buried? It's highly unlikely that this new tech is going to actually bury the new line, because that's normally contacted out to a separate team, and they'd be pretty much done for the year. So you may get a temporary line strung along the ground or in the trees. That's fine, but because you're not on Bell I don't know if or how they'll schedule a return visit to get it buried.
Also, there are two types of wire, the "temp" stuff which is fine for this purpose, and the tougher stuff that's intended to be buried. I suspect this first tech will use the temp stuff, which will work, but be aware it needs a bit of respectful treatment (don't run over it or otherwise abuse it).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bell tech came out Thursday and checked everything running into the house; said it was ok. Then he goes to the node ,finds intermittent problem, but gets it to increase speed and become more stable. He said he will call for a line repair in a few days.
Fri I get a call from the next Bell tech, says he is working on our line. When it is fixed, he tells me it was a bridge-tap and has us fixed at ~10 mbs, good enough for me.
All of the Bell guys that worked on the line were very friendly and helpful, Bell CS on the phone, not so much. Once I got Altima involved, things got moving.
Bell is quite confused in respect to knowledge of what their equipment is out here and the services they can actually provide.
Hopefully it is now stable.
Thanks for your help.
M.M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts