Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
ExDilbert why would one HBO be in Alberta??
There were two regional movie services with HBO Canada as an add-on. HBO Canada was a joint venture between two. One movie service was based in Alberta for western Canada and one in Ontario for eastern Canada. Most BDUs carry both HBO channels to provide time shifting. Why Alberta? Why do companies locate anywhere?

·
Registered
458 Posts
so from the comments, as i understand it now. Before the change from TMN to Crave Telus TMN chennels were always on mountain time? Why just TMN? all the other channels are correct for me at Pacific Time.

It just seems odd that Crave on Win10 and iPhone and AppleTV are correct but the same app on my Samsung TV and the Telus listing are off by 2hrs. Also same for the Zap2it listings. ONLY the former TMN channels are off by 2hrs.

also none of the LIVE Crave channels work on my Samsung TV app. Selecting a Live channel nothing happens. But Crave works fine on Win10 and the Apple TV. I can find nothing in the settings for Crave to set timezone.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
@Blintok, Sounds like an issue with the Samsung app, Zap2it or maybe the way they are configured. For the record, HBO2 is 2 hours behind HBO1 and I believe Crave4 (TMN4) is two hours behind Crave 1 (TMN1.) The other channels are not time shifted.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Let me try to clarify the time zone issue. Crave is streaming the live eastern feeds of Crave 1-4 and HBO 1-2, which are all shown in Eastern Time. If you use the schedule on Crave.ca or in the Crave app, you should see the correct schedule times because the web site and apps adjust the times based on the computer's or device's time zone. If those times don't match your local time, check that your device's time zone and time is correct, because the apps use that and don't ask you what time zone you want.

If you live west of Ontario, the feeds you receive for TV are 2 hours later, so they won't match the Crave app live schedule. Your PVR schedule and Zap2it are all set up to show you the correct time for your location for the TV feed and will be different than the app live feed which is the eastern feed.

The TV feed has the Crave 1 and Crave 4 names switched around, so that Crave 1 is the primary feed for your time zone and Crave 4 is the eastern feed. The same may be true for HBO if your provider carries both HBO channels. Some providers like Shaw Cable only carry Crave 1-3 and one HBO - they don't carry the eastern time-shifted feeds.

The 2 hour shift for Movie Central goes back over a decade and was continued through all the transitions. There's a lengthy thread: Bell's TMN & HBO will be national; Corus winds down 'Movie Central' that was announced in 2015.

Movie Central was the regional premium movie channel for the 4 western provinces and covered Pacific, Mountain and Central time zones, so it made sense to use the Mountain Time Zone as the most convenient time. Movie Central's licence was restricted to the west and TMN's was previously restricted to the east. Both were independent channels and didn't always have similar schedules or even the same series and movies. They shared operation of HBO Canada when that became a separate channel and MC renamed one of their channels to be HBO in the west and TMN renamed one of their channels to be HBO in the east.

EDIT: That explanation wasn't quite as good as I wanted, so I can answer questions if anyone still has any.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I contacted crave about their lack of schedule and here is their response.

Thank you for your email. Here at Crave it is always a pleasure to hear from our subscribers and to address any comments or concerns you may have.

We apologize for the delayed response. We apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing with the new Crave. To check the schedule for Crave please go to www.crave.ca/live .

If there would be further inquiries you may contact us or you may check our website.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

So other then apologizing for their slow response they are not acknowledging or apologizing for taking away the whole months schedule etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I decided to check if they had implemented a full On-Air schedule yet and it looks like they did. Unfortunately, the interactive grid only shows programming for the next 2 weeks. However, there is a "print schedule" link at the bottom that shows Crave 1-4 and HBO 1-2 for January and February. The page numbering indicates it is probably part of a print-style magazine. Does anyone know how often the print magazine is published and about what time of the month it is released? Hopefully, they will be prompt in updating the print schedule to give us a better view of upcoming programming.

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts
Does anyone know how often the print magazine is published and about what time of the month it is released?
Once a month. I get mine in the mail around the 20th-23rd of the month. That pdf looks like those pages from the magazine. Although the print schedule is fairly accurate, there are occasional last minute changes when a movie is not available as expected, or the start/end times change a bit.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Thanks @57. Does that mean the magazine you received around Jan. 20 had the Jan-Feb schedule and you have to wait until Feb. 20 to see the Feb-Mar schedule? I'm trying to gauge when they might update the online print schedule and how far ahead we will be able to see, assuming they don't forget to do it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts
The magazine comes out monthly and shows one month. The February Magazine arrived around January 20th with the February schedule.

Since the magazine arrives around the 20th, they should be able to put up the March schedule around the middle (15-20?) of February. I see no reason for the two-month schedule...

You can see from the HBO schedule that the pdf is taken from the left and right side (pages) of a magazine because the dates are not in order.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Thanks again @57 - it looks like they combined the schedules from the Jan. and Feb. magazines into one PDF, since the page numbers go from 44 to 55 for Jan. and from 44 to 55 for Feb. I think the PDF was created around Jan. 11, so we might see the next one soon.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts