Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I'm not too happy with the "All New Crave". I'm on Cogeco and once everything rebranded I went to want a movie on Demand only to find out that everything was HD only (don't have any HD boxes). I was speaking to someone from Cogeco last night and they informed me that Crave is only adding HD on Demand, they told me my options are to add TMN Encore bringing the package price up to $25 or get HD boxes. I have Chromecasts on all of my TVs so I can watch the movies like that, but on a 175GB internet package, I'm not going to be watching much. Thanks for NOTHING BELL!
I hate to break it to you but this is not just affect Crave. The industry is moving away from SD / SD VOD. If you are still using Standard Definition in 2018, I hate to break it to you but you are pretty much already on a dead end road.
Some TV providers only offer Video On Demand for their HD boxes, such as Bell Satellite TV. The Satellite HD PVR that bell offers is an HD box for example, so someone still using SD can not get vod unless they replace their box. Netflix is HD only, so if u want netflix on a SD tv you need some kind of smart device wich is HD. sorry but its the way everything is and will become.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
^ Some what of topic SD is basically Dead or dieing" but the same could be said somewhat about HD(regular) and 4K is slowly taking over as prices foer TVs have come down quite abit.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
4K is about 15 years behind HD as far as availability and amount of content is concerned. SD was essentially deprecated by the US congress in 1996 when it mandated that HD broadcasts OTA replace SD at the end of 2006. (That date was later extended.) No such edict has been issued for an HDTV conversion to 4K.

The main reason HD has almost completely taken over is market driven. HDTVs and related equipment are so cheap that it doesn't make much sense to stick with SD. Sure there are still people with SD equipment but it makes less sense to use it every year. Broadcasters and BDUs are eliminating SD channels to save on bandwidth. New equipment is being supplied with HDMI only (a digital HD interface) in order to cut costs and appease content owners. SD is not dead yet but it's definitely on its last legs.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The All-New Crave Now Available on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Bell Media confirmed today that Canadians now have direct access to the all-new Crave via the Crave app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. Additionally, now through December 10, 2018, first-time customers can enjoy exclusive offers including 50% off for the first four months with a monthly subscription, or additional savings when signing up for an annual plan (12 months for the price of nine).

iPhone and iPad customers also have the option to download select content to watch offline, offering added convenience when commuting or travelling. Movies or episodes that are available for download can be accessed by tapping the download icon beside the show title.

Crave is available in two packages – Crave or Crave + Movies + HBO, with programming streaming on the app at the same time as the live broadcasts.

The Bell Media Press Release contains more information for both new and existing subscribers.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Yeah. 4k is years away from supplanting HD, if it ever happens at all. Nobody offers 4k content reliably right now, even the Netflix selection is limited. Out here, Bell is the only BDU to offer it at all (Rogers has no 4k service in NB) and it's basically limited to select on demand content and the occasional sports event (and a lot of those look more like HD than 4k).

HD has completely taken over the market. You can't even buy a non-HD TV anymore and haven't been able to for what, a decade? There's little to no value in the BDUs continuing to maintain SD infrastructure when the percentage of people using it is heading straight towards zero. Streaming providers usually offer low quality options to reduce data usage, though.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I would be disappointed if Crave wasn't offering all or almost all HD content. There are some vintage TV shows I would watch in 4:3 SD but not that many. The better ones have been remastered for HD.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Crave has a twitter account https://twitter.com/CraveHelp/ where they responded that they are working on a schedule of upcoming programs.

In response to "is 5.1 audio coming in the streaming apps?"
Hi there! As of the moment we don't have the support for 5.1 Audio but you may visit this link http://www.crave.ca/help-and-frequently-asked-questions-74295754 … for more information about new Crave and check it as well from time to time about 5.1 Audio Support availability. ^MM
https://twitter.com/CraveHelp/status/1060551036975362048

I'm curious if the old TMN GO apps supported 5.1 audio. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? (I'm not asking about On Demand through the STB.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My problem with Crave is that my cable provider (Cablevision dur Nord) is not supported. I pay for Crave on cable but I do not have access to the apps or web version. I contacted Crave but they told me to subscribe to Crave for another $19.95 a month.

Maybe I should contact my cable provider see what they have to say.

Mr.6

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a Samsung 55KS8500. As of this morning the TV app was still the old CraveTV icon.

Dr.Dave post 65 that mentioned Apple TV prompted me to check my TV for an update. There was one. Installed it and am happy to see
the new Crave app is live.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
^^ I noticed that the Android app was also updated on Nov. 13, but I haven't installed it.

@Mr.6 I looked at the web site of Cablevision du Nord de Québec and noticed they have chosen not to offer the Crave streaming service, so you should probably contact them first. Strange, since they're ultimately owned by Bell. :confused:

On the plus side, they have the cheapest package I've seen.

If you want the additional content on the Crave streaming service, you could subscribe to just that for $9.99, keeping in mind that the Starz content will only be available for a limited time. If you want the convenience of being able to stream the whole service via apps, you could cancel that package on your cable service and just subscribe directly for $19.95, but you won't be able to watch or record HBO and the Crave channels on your STBs.

You would qualify for the Crave new customer discounts I mentioned earlier if you subscribe through an Apple TV or iOS device. I don't know if Google Play has the same discounts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I know what my options are. I'm just baffled that they are owned by Bell and still don't offer the Crave streaming service.

Mr.6

·
Registered
458 Posts
looks like the Crave app for the Samsung TV is still using the old Crave. The icon is new but the actual app seems to be regular Crave. Missing is the "Live" portion of the
Crave experience. I checked the Crave App on my Apple TV and it is the new icon plus the new Crave. The "Live" menu is there and it works.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Since I am a cord cutter, not by choice, i actually LOVE tv, but can't afford it right now. I absolutely hate Netflix there is garbage on there, but I am now thinking I might give the Crave Over The Top streaming option a try for a few months and see how it is. I gotta talk to the wife first cus she's the boss and if things work out, i will cancel netflix and replace it with Crave. It still won't solve my woes of missing live news and sports, but its by all means a big leap better than netflix I feel.

I will let u know if i give the New Crave a try and see how it is.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So i had a look at the TV listings on Zap2it. All the Crave channels are now there. So at least you can now use that to see what is on the channels. It was so easy to see the whole days
worth of programming on the former The Movie Network website. Hope they bring something like that back.
@Paolo does not cost you anything to try it. If you have never used it before the first month is free.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
ya sounds good, i may give it a try. but i want to also try it when I KNOW I will have the time to watch stuff on it, with both my wife and I have jobs which are very demanding and 2 young kids which need a lot of our attention, we do not have much time in the day for Television. When things start to change I will give it a try

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The issue I have with the On Demand is that, at least so far, it doesn't have a "new" category. Know what I mean? For instance, if i wanted to watch the latest Last Week Tonight episode, back before TMN HBO switched to Crave, when you went to ON Demand, there was a "new" folder which had all the fresh content in one convenient foldder. Now I ahve to go to the Last Week Tonight Folder and scroll through all the seasons episodes to find it. Minor, but inconvenient.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
@PFD have you looked at "My Cravings"? I'm not a subscriber, but when I skimmed through the help, it seems that it keeps track of your episodes if you watch the show regularly on demand. There is a section called "New Arrivals" under TV Shows, but it doesn't break them down by episode.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There actually is a "new arrivals" on the TV Crave on Demand as well...it's a recent addition that wasn't there the first week or two. My bad. All good now.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 114 Posts