Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for confirming the french channels appear in the guide. My spôuse will be happy.

I had a USA Netflix account but I closed it after it stopped working with UnblockUS. I kept my Canadian account only. There's less choice but it still does the job especially since my spouse is mostly french only. My sons and I prefer to watch movies in english. There could be 9.1 in the channels (local SRC for Sherbrooke). It's not a huge deal since the programming is almost identical to SRC 2.1.

I have Opera TV included in a Samsung Blue Ray player I purchased in the USA. Some of the same channels are available on a Roku also. They all work without a VPN on my BR player.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've received my Tivo Roamio for a few days now. Opera Tv on the Roamio is not the same as the other I have. It's almost an empty shell compared to what is available on my Samsung Blue Ray player. Roku has many of the channels found on Opera Tv of the BR player and more. I can see now why it wasn't discussed much.

One of my most liked feature of the Roamio is the ability to determine your favourite channels and then search for programming by type. I've set mine up to search the french channels only for movies for my spouse.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The CHCH issue has been identified (not something caused by TiVO). The TiVo tuner doesn't like a transport stream mismatch between PAT and TVCT. CHCH used to send 17091 (hex 42C3) for both, but now sending 17091 in TVCT and 1 in PAT.
CHCH has fixed the transport stream id issue. Both my TiVos can tune it in as 11-1 again!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Tivo seems to have messed up the channel guide. CHCH is showing as CTC and the listings are also CTC yet the tv displays CHCH. TVO is completely missing from the guide. This change happened on June 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
TiVo Roamio

Owners of this DVR: Have you tried out the out-of-home streaming functionality with this DVR? And if so, how has it worked out for you?! I understand that it works with either iOS or Android apps.

This functionality is apparently available on newer software versions with the Roamio.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
It seems the Tivo apps for iOS and Android aren't available in Canada....
There's some third party ones, however. It would be nice if I could stream my OTA recordings.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wasn't aware of an app that you could use to do the streaming. They had a box that you could buy called the TiVo Mini. That would allow you to stream content of one TV to another TV.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Owners of this DVR: Have you tried out the out-of-home streaming functionality with this DVR? And if so, how has it worked out for you?! I understand that it works with either iOS or Android apps.

This functionality is apparently available on newer software versions with the Roamio.
I have tried it and so far I have not been able to stream recorded shows on my iPhone. It says that some features are not available when away from home network.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have both. For IOS, I had to create a 2nd AppleID for US as my home but that was easy enough (it can be a pain to get updates - not totally seamless). Things may have changed for Android but I had no problen adding it a couple of years ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I'm having a difficult time getting Tivo to re-add RF35 (CTV2 Hamilton 35.1) to my lineup. It disappeared several weeks ago and I've not been able to record or view programming on this channel. Anyone have some experience getting Tivo to fix these types of issues?! So far I've been using the web support tool and it's been a frustrating back-and-forth where they end up claiming that I can't receive this station (I most certainly can).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have lost a channel or two years ago but not lately. I would fill out the web form and within 2 weeks the channel would be back. I never had them reply saying they cannot add it. That is disappointing if it truly is a channel in your area. It sounds like someone just wants you to get lost. Maybe a bad employee. There was a lady named Margaret who you could contact via twitter at one time. I haven’t seen anything from her in a long while. The twitter address she used was ‪@tivodesign and I found her helpful. You might try sending her a tweet to see if she can guide you. Maybe escalate to management. Or post something on their forum. I’d start with Margaret.

Let us know what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
With the recent channel repack, I'm once again at odds with Tivo and their slow support. Two weeks after the channel changes, and promptly reporting them to Tivo, and I'm still missing recordings and not seeing the guide reflect the new channel configurations. Oddly, CITS-DT Hamilton, which changed from channel 36 to 14, updated within hours on my Tivo. Other stations, not so lucky. I understand that Tivo is likely fielding a ton of requests right now regarding the over-the-air repack. Nonetheless, they could have been proactive and managed the changes much more smoothly. Hopefully the changes will be made soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you manually type in the real channel number, it will generally pop up on the channel list. I still have one station after the repack that is doing the same. I rarely receive the channel, but I seem to be having some nice tropo going on and have been able to watch it more than a couple times.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
TiVo should be more on the ball and not leave this like that for weeks. I sure hope they are not letting their customer service slip. That’s always the start of companies failing.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
" ... hope they are not letting their customer service slip"

It's never been the same since Rovi Corp. bought Tivo in 2016 (and renamed themselves Tivo). I was a huge supporter of Tivo after I bought my 1st (and then bought a 2nd). Not anymore.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It’s really a shame because the TiVo itself is a great piece of technology with lots of features that can’t be found elsewhere. It’s always been expensive but now with the decline in customer service I wonder how much longer they’ll be around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ATSC 3.0 and OTA Roamio

Will this be an issue for us Canadians who own an Roamio?

I know that when stations convert that they have to have both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 available simultaneously for five years but after that will us owners be at a loss?

Also, I read that when the CRTC asked OTA Canadian broadcasters if they will be upgrading their equipment again and the majority stated that it was very cost prohibitive and that they will take a wait and see approach. However, American OTA broadcasters were all for it.

Any feedback?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My thought is that it’s not a good time to buy a TiVo or any sort of tuner until they start producing machines that work with the current technology and the new ATSC 3.0. It’s annoying that they have to keep changing things. We were analog for decades and then went digital but now let’s compress the video further and force everyone to buy new electronics again. Then in a couple more years I imagine they’ll be out with ATSC 4.0 or they’ll be removing OTA completely due to everyone streaming online. It takes about 2 years to break even after you buy a TiVo due to the savings from a cable subscription. If you can get 2 years out of your tuner before the new technology cuts over then at least you’re not out anything, but you’ll need to fork out more dough for a new machine.

1401 - 1420 of 1443 Posts