Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
My TiVo's rock

Hey all I just recently got my second TiVo HD unit and I’m very happy with both of my units.

I have cable connected to my unit and it works with both analogue and digital as you probably already know. The problem of course is that without a cable card you do not get the guide info for the digital stations. Cable companies here in the republic of Canada do not have to provide us a Cable card the way they do, by law in the United States. In short we the consumers do not have the right to choose which PVR we want to use. If you want Bell, Rogers or Cogeco you have to purchase their receiver. I have two terrible Bell PVRs that don’t do HD in the basement right now collecting dust; both cost more than $600.00. My TiVo HD receiver including the life time subscription cost about the same the difference is OTA is fantastic and free.

Time for a little rant.
When I called up Bell to cancel my phone service they asked why and I told them by switching to V.O.I.P I could cut my bill in half and choose a (416) area code which would eliminate almost all of my long distance call bills because for some reason calling from Milton to Brampton 20 Kilometres away was long distance. The guy had no response.

When I cancelled my Bell Satellite the Girl told me that she would lower my monthly fee from $70.00 dollars a month to $40.00, I told her that I had been a customer for four years and that perhaps If they had just given me the best rate from the start I wouldn’t be cancelling now.

When will these Companies get a clue and realize that perhaps treating your customers fairly and with respect they may keep their customers in the future. Maybe they could offer a customer like myself a Cable Card for my TiVo so In the future when analogue is gone I keep using their services as opposed to cancelling there service. Which is exactly what I plan to do.

These Companies are worse than greedy they’re Stupid, and if they got their way it would be illegal to have an antenna on your roof to begin with.

Every week I notice more Antennas going up around my subdivision and smile knowing that these are people like me unplugging from the Matrix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
never had a TiVo, but i'm thinking about getting one...

Hi there,

I completely don't know anything about cable tv hookups and digital cable and all that, but I was serously looking into getting a TiVo simply to be able to record anything i want on TV without having to actually catch a particular show at a particular time. Now, I know that about 2 years ago TiVo came to Canada... I'm currently living in the basement apartment of a house with a Bell satellite with HD.

Now, I know I don't want to go out and purchase a Bell PVR, because they are REALLY expensive and i never liked Bell as a service provider anyway, so when i move into my own house one day, I will NOT be subscribing to Bell's cable service and then my PVR will be useless. However, I WILL be subscribing to some kind of digital cable service, probably Rogers.

My question is, do the Canadian TiVos really NOT record HD channels?? or do they just not record them in HD format?? meaning, they will still record the channel, but not in HD?? sorry if my questions sound a little dumb... i just don't want to buy a TiVo if it's not going to record the channels i wanted in the first place...

say, The Movie Network for instance... will it be able to record those channels??

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
My question is, do the Canadian TiVos really NOT record HD channels?? or do they just not record them in HD format?? meaning, they will still record the channel, but not in HD?? sorry if my questions sound a little dumb... i just don't want to buy a TiVo if it's not going to record the channels i wanted in the first place...

say, The Movie Network for instance... will it be able to record those channels??
I believe that the TiVos that have been sold in Canada are not able to record HD - just Standard Definition (SD). There is also an HD version of the TiVo that is sold in the US. This will work in Canada to record Over The Air (OTA) channels if you can get them. But that is limited to the regular TV networks - you are in Mississauga so if you have line of sight to the south and east you might be able to pick up Buffalo and Toronto stations (i.e. CBC, CTV, CITY, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) but no TMN, TSN, etc.

These HD TiVos have something called a CableCard slot that allows you to record HD cable stations if your cable company gives you a CableCard. US regulations force American cable companies to give their customers CableCards if they ask for them but no cable company in Canada is doing so and the CRTC hasn't forced them to do so.

So that means that you can buy a TiVo but it won't record HD (with a few exceptions). That leaves you with buying (or possibly renting) a PVR box from your cable or satellite company if you want to record HD. But these boxes totally suck compared to a TiVo.

There is one other solution but it is much more expensive and complex and that is using a PC to record all of your TV shows. That will allow you to record all of your HD shows.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wayne is correct. Or, you could find a DTVPal DVR in the US at a Sears. (google it)

Some of us have them here and have had a variety of experiences with the units.

In my own case, it has served us well as a recorder and guide and my experience has been very positive. Others have hoped for more, but it depends on your expectations of the device.

Stu

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
The best solution might be to hodl your nose and buy one of the Bell PVR units. I don't know how much Bell charges for their PVRs but with Rogers you have the rental option and the payback between buying and renting is often less than 2 years. So if you are going to be in your current location for 2 years then maybe you should just buy and hope to resell to someone when you move.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wanted to purchase a DTVpal last year at this time. But the DTVpal had several bugs last year ( I don't about now ). I choose the TIVO HD and never been more happier with a home electronic equipment.

I can record Canadian analogue broadcasts and digital one OTA. Someone told me that you cannot record analogue broadcasts with the DTVpal but I cannot confirm that.

The Tivo run 4 to 6 hours at my home during the week. Not one bug.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
My question is, do the Canadian TiVos really NOT record HD channels?? or do they just not record them in HD format?? meaning, they will still record the channel, but not in HD??
The TiVos that have been sold in Canada are/were Series 2s. Yes, they record only in SD. Yes, your box can tune them and watch them direct in HD with component or DVI/HDMI tot he TV.

The TiVo HD models (you would have to import on your own), can only record from cable or antenna directly (does not support any sort of box), and for all practical purposes in Canada, can record only HD from antenna.

Being you have Bell, you can get a 6131 receiver form them, and plug a USB hard-drive into it, to make it into a single tuner DVR, which will record in HD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
buying a TiVo

Thanks for all your replies... I really don't want to buy any PVRs for $400-600... I don't have that kind of money to play with, but I was really looking into the TiVo since it's being sold for around $189 at Best Buy and I keep hearing about all the convenient options it has. I don't mind not being able to record in HD format, as long as the channel itself still gets recorded. I don't mind watching stuff in SD format. What I will record will mostly be movies and tv shows, not sports games, so I don't mind the picture not being the best it could be. Right now the place i'm renting subscribes to Bell satellite, so as long as the TiVo will work with the receiver box and still record all the channels i want (just not in HD all the time), then i'll be happy... :eek:) did i understand you guys correctly??

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Yes, the TiVo will work with the Bell box allowing you to record all of your channels. The TiVo is a great box but don't forget that you have to pay a subscription fee of (I think) $12.95/month. That's over $150/yr, more if you add in taxes so that it isn't that much less than $400 when you look at your all-in costs for one year.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I should add, because this is the OTA section, that the Series 2 DT specifically does not support antenna at all.. This is to comply with an FCC rule that devices that have antenna tuners have ATSC tuners. TiVo copped out not including antenna support in that model. They held to their guns and left out support for the OTA converter boxes in that TiVo becuase it wan't supposed to be antenna compatible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, the TiVo will work with the Bell box allowing you to record all of your channels. The TiVo is a great box but don't forget that you have to pay a subscription fee of (I think) $12.95/month. That's over $150/yr, more if you add in taxes so that it isn't that much less than $400 when you look at your all-in costs for one year.
Just to clarify there are no taxes added on to the subscription. The cost is the $12.95 per month or yearly or lifetime subscription in U.S. dollars.

And to the other poster, yes you can record your HD channels but it is in the SD format. If you own more than one unit you can also use multi-room viewing and download your programs to your computer or laptop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TiVo

yep i know that you have to subscribe monthly to TiVo, but since i've heard only good things about the TiVo and if it records what I want it to record, i plan on using it for the rest of my tv watching life... :) Thank you everyone! I feel more informed now! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
TiVo

well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??

and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...

·
Registered
617 Posts
well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??

and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...
Yes, I am doing that right now. I have a Channel Master 4228 antenna and a VHF yagi plus a CM7777 preamp connected to my Tivo. I catch all of the US channels and some of the Montreal channels ( becasue of the opposite direction).

I purchased mine at Sears US. There's a guy in Alberta on the internet that sells the TivoHD to Canadians. He's expensive.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I went to the Sears store.

I am not sure if they still carry Tivo's. Best Buy do have tivo's and some Wal-Marts (maybe their website)

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are no retail stores in Canada that carry the Tivo HD and they will not ship it to Canada. You need to go to the U.S. to pick up the Tivo HD or buy from a other retailer that ships to Canada. Not sure if I am allowed to provide a link. There is one company I know of that does ship to Canada but it is expensive and I don't know how close to the border you are (not sure how close Mississagua is).

81 - 100 of 1443 Posts