Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

901 - 920 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
TiVo Downloads

Heads up if you use TiVo Desktop or kmttg to move your recordings to your PC - there's a problem that prevents transferring files to your PC.

For TiVo Desktop, there's an easy workaround - edit curl.conf and add a line:

cookie = "sid=abc"

For kmttg, there's a new version at http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Set up new TiVo Premiere tonight with new DB4e antenna. Reception when the antenna was connected to my TV was great. I had 20 channels coming in strongly. Hooked up the TiVo and connected the antenna to the appropriate place on the TiVo marked Antenna. Went through the setup, etc., and the Tivo is connected to my TV via HDMI. But it's not picking up anything -- not a single channel. I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Is there something really obvious I'm missing? I double checked that the coax (RG6) is tightly connected on both ends. Is there something I need to do to my TV? I don't understand why it's not working. :/ Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Keira:

I understand your excitement and frustration. Several things come to mind.

1. Did you put your postal code in during the setup?
  2. Did you do a scan for channels on the TiVo?
  3. Did you change the "source" on your TV set to HDMI?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi MapMaker,

The answer to each question is yes. I put in my postal code on set-up, and when I go to Channel List, it does list local stations. However, when I do a channel scan (tried again this morning), not one comes up. I tried the testing feature on channel 57 since it's so strong through the TV, and there wasn't even a flicker.

The TiVo is plugged into the HDMI 3 port on my TV, and when I choose that source, I can navigate through the TiVo interface. But no channels.

My TiVo activation seems to have been processed as when I did the set-up I could choose the name I gave it when I activated.

I put the TV on channel three in case that made a difference, but it didn't. I'm flummoxed! The coax works perfectly with my TV and is brand new, so I can't understand why the signals aren't coming into the TiVo. I double checked that it was in the correct port this morning as well, and that it still worked perfectly directly in the TV.

Should the TV be on a certain setting? I have it to antenna now, but perhaps it should be on another setting?

Any other thoughts? I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Keira:

That does sound strange. The only other thing that comes to mind is I seem to recall that you can scan for cable or antenna or both. I would try all of them. Although unlikely, I suppose it is also possible that the TiVo's wiring is reversed for the cable and antenna input connectors.

There is a "source" button on the TiVo remote as well as for your TV...try setting HDMI using both?

When I checked scanning on my TiVo just now it gave me different options than the original ones I remember. Apparently if you want/need to set up for cable or antenna after the initial setup it looks like you have to initiate the full setup again.

If your scan(s) do not pick up any channels, that would indicate no signal getting to the TiVo or a defective TiVo. If you still have cable service you could attach the cable to the TiVo's cable input and scan that for analogue cable channels just to see if the problem is with the TiVo.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I tried the testing feature on channel 57 since it's so strong through the TV
When you do this, do you get a screen like:

Signal Strength Meter - Antenna (this will confirm you are checking the antenna input)

Channel 57-1, CITYDT, Frequency 44 (this will confirm you're postal code picks up the right listing)

If so, what's below that? I'm guessing you'll say empty bar with "0 peak 0" to the right of it with "No digital signal" underneath.

Mine shows a strength bar/peak and underneath it "Digital signal acquired"

If so, that proves something is wrong between the TiVo antenna coax connector and the tuner. I hope your tuner is ok. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
MapMaker, I'll try all your suggestions when I get home tonight. :)

El Gran Chico, yes -- that's what I tried (I recall the number 44). I had zero on the indicator. :/

I'll try everything else tonight and probably do a full restart. At this point it does seem like it must be a defective tuner. Which wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have to drive two hours to replace it! (Or in actuality get a friend to drive me as I don't have a car since I live downtown.) I'll call TiVo after I try everything and see what they have to say.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are you using an amplifier for your antenna?
Does the signal stays at 0 or does it fluctuate?
How strong is your strongest signal on your TV ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
andrela, I'm not using an amplifier. I just set up the antenna last night, so wanted to see how it did on its own.

I'm not sure how to gauge technically how strong the signal is on the TV, but the channels came in very clearly and the antenna is pointed at the CN Tower on the 9th floor from around Bloor/Sherbourne. The Buffalo stations came in and out depending on where the antenna was on my balcony, but the Toronto stations were all unchangingly steady.

On the TiVo, there's no fluctuation -- it's just 0 channels detected when I scan, and when I checked 57, it was a solid 0.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got off the phone with TiVo tech support. Explained the situation and what I'd tried to rectify it, and after some diagnostics he talked to a supervisor and they're going to ship me a new TiVo. The verdict is that the antenna port must be fried -- something that rarely happens but is obviously not unheard of. I'm quite relieved that they didn't insist it must be something wrong with my antenna or coax or whatnot. Very pleased with the level of customer service. :)

I'm actually going on vacay tomorrow, so they're going to ship it to me when I return. Fingers crossed that the new box will work without a hitch! Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Keira:

While you are watching through the TV (TiVo not connected)...If possible aim your antenna 90 degrees to the east of the CN Tower, scan for channels, then turn it in small increments in the direction of the CN Tower and scan again. You should receive more US channels and better reception of the US channels somewhere around 70 to 80 degrees east of the Tower. You won't lose the Canadian channels.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just got off the phone with TiVo tech support. Explained the situation and what I'd tried to rectify it, and after some diagnostics he talked to a supervisor and they're going to ship me a new TiVo. The verdict is that the antenna port must be fried -- something that rarely happens but is obviously not unheard of. I'm quite relieved that they didn't insist it must be something wrong with my antenna or coax or whatnot. Very pleased with the level of customer service. :)

I'm actually going on vacay tomorrow, so they're going to ship it to me when I return. Fingers crossed that the new box will work without a hitch! Thanks to all for your help.
Wow, that's some good customer service! Kudos to TiVo and glad your problem will be fixed

Now if only other "OTA box" manufacturers/retailers could be as helpful :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
TiVo App in Canada

I'm new to OTA and was surprised that I am able to get 7 channels in Edmonton, Alberta with fantastic quality with a $30 indoor antenna. I am thinking about getting a used TiVo Premiere with lifetime service off eBay, but I'm trying to confirm if the TiVo program guide has the Edmonton channels in its database.

TiVo's chat support has been horrible (simply saying that the TiVo Premier will not work in Canada - not even just for an antenna set up), so I'm hoping someone here could confirm that the 7 OTA HD Edmonton channels would show up in the guide before I go and spend several hundred dollars?

I downloaded the TiVo app from the US iTunes app store to try to confirm this, but it will only accept zip codes to load the program guide in "Guest Mode." Does anyone know a trick to get the TiVo app to accept a Canadian postal code? If I buy a box does it sync the program guide from the box to the app automatically or will I always have an issue with trying to get the program info on the app? As Edmonton is pretty far North, I doubt there is a U.S. zip code I could put in that would give me the local Canadian channels.

Many thanks for your help and advice!
Kent

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You could try checking with http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/

They get the TV listings from the same company as TiVo - Tribune. I'm pretty sure the guide works anywhere in Canada. I wish TiVo employees would stop saying the machine won't work in Canada. I mentioned that to a manager at TiVo 3 years ago and he was going to inform the staff to quit saying this. Especially now that there's high def OTA, many people in Canada have picked up a TiVo. I have 2! TiVo had no issues with me buying them and they knew I was in Canada. Please ask to speak to a manager the next time a clerk tells you this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info FunkyTown. I am indeed able to bring up the program info on Zap2it for all the channels in my area. So this probably indicates that I will be able to bring it up on TiVo as well?

Do you by any chance use the TiVo app for iOS devices? Did you need to enter your postal code to get access to the guide information or did it automatically bring up the information associated with your TiVo box settings once it saw it the box on your network?

·
Registered
266 Posts
kakgungor:

When you do your initial setup one of the first things you tell your TiVo is you are in Canada and it asks for your postal code. You can also re-do the initial setup as many times as you like at anytime.

All indications (without actual confirmation) are that if Zap2it shows it, your TiVo will as well.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Do you by any chance use the TiVo app for iOS devices? Did you need to enter your postal code to get access to the guide information or did it automatically bring up the information associated with your TiVo box settings once it saw it the box on your network?
I do. It links to your TiVo so you don't need to go through the setup again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After reading through this whole thread I have a couple Q's;

I know this was asked several times through the thread, but I never read a definitive answer.

Will this work as a OTA DVR recorder with no subscription? ie. you buy one off ebay, hook it up and go?

Second Q. What does the subscription get you in Canada? ie. I get 8 channels OTA, digital HD right now. So if I bought one of these with lifetime programing off ebay and hooked it up, central Canada about 30min from the border, will I get other channels?

Thanks

901 - 920 of 1443 Posts