Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

861 - 880 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I use a Canadian postal code with my TiVo. It brings up all of the surrounding Canadian channels just fine. I've tried the US zip code 13669 for Ogdensburg and it still gives me my Canadian channels plus several US channels like ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS. I do not get any reception on those channels. So for me, it makes no difference as far as content goes whether I use a US zip or a Canadian postal code.

I'm not familiar with the TVGOES data. I believe that TiVo gets its guide data from Tribune. It's very good, however sometimes repeat episodes of "some" shows will record even though I've set a rule stating "New episodes only". The guide appears to sometimes be missing the flag that indicates whether it's a new show or a repeat. Other than that I find the guide is very accurate.

The TiVo Premiere is a great machine with an excellent user interface. You can also use it to watch Netflix, and access YouTube. The TiVo website has more information and screen shots of the menus.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use a Canadian postal code with my TiVo. It brings up all of the surrounding Canadian channels just fine. I've tried the US zip code 13669 for Ogdensburg and it still gives me my Canadian channels plus several US channels like ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS. I do not get any reception on those channels. So for me, it makes no difference as far as content goes whether I use a US zip or a Canadian postal code.

I'm not familiar with the TVGOES data. I believe that TiVo gets its guide data from Tribune. It's very good, however sometimes repeat episodes of "some" shows will record even though I've set a rule stating "New episodes only". The guide appears to sometimes be missing the flag that indicates whether it's a new show or a repeat. Other than that I find the guide is very accurate.

The TiVo Premiere is a great machine with an excellent user interface. You can also use it to watch Netflix, and access YouTube. The TiVo website has more information and screen shots of the menus.
I've been reading and watching the videos on the Tvio website.

So...

What features do work and what don't?

ie: Which Neflix?Netflix Canada?

I gather Amazon.com,Hulu Plus,etc,don't work?

YouTube,no doubt does.

Seems to be almost like OTA,Cable,or Satellite combined with web services.Almost 'Smart TV?'

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Netflix Canada works. YouTube works. Some new AOL thing seems to work. Amazon.com and Hulu don't work for me. Some purchase VPN service and then use a VPN Proxy on their router to make it appear they are in the US so these features will work. There's a cost to that though. I'm not sure how reliable it is because I don't do it. You need a router with firmware that allows you to set this up - like DD-WRT. I use Netflix very rarely, but when I do I prefer the TiVo interface over the Apple TV or PS3 interfaces. It's nice to use the same remote and keys that control the TiVo to also control the Netflix content. It loads pretty quickly and I haven't had issues with it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I can't comment on the other previous TiVo's. I only own a Premiere and a Premiere XL. Both have the identical user interface. The big difference between them is the hard drive size and the cost. They are both Series 4 TiVo machines. Prior to these I've not owned any TiVos. I believe 748 is the number on the Premiere XL. 746 is the number on the Premiere.

You can also plug in an external hard drive to these machines. I don't do that, but it's an option if you run out of space. I often transfer shows that I'll watch later to my NAS drive to free up space. Then when I am ready to watch them I'll transfer them back to the TiVo. You can start watching them when the transfer is in progress. You don't have to wait for the xfer to complete.

·
Registered
624 Posts
TiVo HD

If you don't need the internet apps form TiVo , I recommend the TiVo HD model. Mine is running since 2008 with no problems. Youtube works with it but I never use it since I purchased my Boxee box last year.

The tuner is sensitive and one coworker has purchsaed a TiVo HD with a lifetime sub on FleaBay last year and he had no problems. He asked the seller the serial number after the auction closed to check with TiVo if the lifetime sub was still valid.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah there's been no firm details but I'm hoping it will work on the Premiere. They also mentioned requiring a monthly subscription or lifetime plan. I wonder what the price difference is over the TiVo PVR for the subscription. If it's the same then it might make more sense to just buy another PVR.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Why would you need a subscription for it? If it has no tuners, there is no need for it to get guide data. The only thing it needs to talk to is your TiVo(s). After all, all it really is is a custom media player. To me it would make more sense to support a TiVo plug in on other media players, rather than adding yet another box that only does one thing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm not sure what the full scoop is on this, but on that website it mentions paying monthly or lifetime. It hasn't been released yet so anything we read at this point is not carved in stone. It would be odd if this device only worked with the one machine because the ratio of people owning the Premiere XL4 would not be high enough to warrant the design, creation, and marketing expense of a new device solely dependent on that one machine. At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I received a new firmware installation on both of my TiVo's overnight. Both machines went from version:

20.2.2-01-2-746/8

to:

20.2.2.1-01-2-746/8

It doesn't seem as thought it would be a major upgrade since the version numbers are virtually still the same. The email that came on both machines indicated it was the Fall 2012 upgrade and it went on to explain the new features. It was the identical email I got when I received the Fall upgrade last fall. I'm not sure what's different. It's possible it's firmware to ready the TiVos for the new gadget that I talked about earlier.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very minor. Mostly bugs correction brought by 20.2.2. Was released about 2 months ago. We must be in the last ones to be updated.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh it's been out for a while. I didn't know they released this so soon after the first one. I'm glad they are keeping the software clean. I put my name on the list to get updates right away. I guess it must reset after an update since this one wasn't sent right away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You had to reapply on the priority list. Here is a summary from TivoMargret:
* Customers in Pittsburg were hearing Spanish instead of English on their ABC channel (WTAE). This issue also affected a limited number of other networks and shows and resulted in customers hearing "Audio Description" audio. It should now be resolved for all.

* Channel Logos have been restored in the Guide

* Some customers were hearing sound effects when pressing CHAN UP/DOWN in live TV. These actions should now be silent.

·
Registered
266 Posts
After reading this entire thread and having ordered a Premiere for OTA from TIVO I am stuck waiting for delivery to Niagara Falls and subsequent reshipping from Niagara Falls to me in Toronto. Therefore I have some time on my hands, which leads to a question.

I think I read that OTA was somehow being used along with analog cable but don't recall if there were any details as to how it was done. Does one connect both the cable feed AND the antenna feed to the RF inputs marked for Cable and Antenna?

If this is correct, does the TIVO then split each of these feeds to both tuners or does each feed go to it's own tuner?

How does one scan for channels from the two separate feeds without overwriting the first scan with the second scan?

I guess these questions will become clear once I receive and get used to my unit but right now it is all muddy water.

861 - 880 of 1443 Posts