Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

841 - 860 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Both of my TiVo machines are humming along nicely. It's nice still having the picture in picture feature while in the To Do and Season Pass menus now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Antennae to cable card

I took my unit to Florida for a couple of reasons. I attempted to connect to comcast with a cable card. Had many problems. Three times I asked Tivo CSR reps if I had to be connected to their server and they told me no each time. It was only when we got the elevated CSR did we find out that we had to be connected. The main reason being that their server saw me as an antennae customer.

When we rebooted I had internet access with tivo box the cable card worked after 90 minutes and two cable cards later from comcast. Actually the comcast installer was very good about the whole thing.
Part of the original problem was that when comcast installed the cable service they also installed the internet at the same time,consequently the tivo box was not connected to their server prior to the installing of the cable card.

Now using my tivo box as a cable box and pvr and will revert back to the antennae when I return back to Toronto.

Works well but the cable card is not available in Canada to the best of my knowledge as it is not supported by the cable companies

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
OTA discussion only, please

There are some smaller cablecos in Canada which use TiVO...presumably through the cable-card system. However, this forum and thread deals specifically with TiVo for OTA, so let's please keep it on topic. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Antenna setup for TIVO Premiere

I'm new to the OTA after getting fed up with BEV's annual increases and reductions in loyalty discounts. The ability to use a TIVO was instrumental to this decision as when I first looked at it when TIVO came to Canada, the series 2 didn't support this. I missed the Series 3, otherwise I may have made the switch earlier. I will miss the news channels and blue jays (assuming their off season deals result in a contender), but there is always the radio like the old days. Thanks to all who have posted as it made me able to make this decision! Not to mention gave me many days of informed reading.

I currently have the DB4e installed and am picking up the TIVO in Niagara Falls this week (bought on EBay and shipped to American Mailbox for $5.50 pickup fee).

I am picking up anywhere from 19 to 35 channels, with 15-1to4, 26-1to4 and 51-1to3 being the ones that I don't get on my Sony TV, although they all showed up on the first night I installed the antenna. I also don't get 35-1, 36-1 and 49-1 on my Samsung TV. My Samsung TV has a signal meter and most stations are 9 to 10 bars with 2-1 being the lowest at 6 bars. 51-1to3 are channels I'd like to get back, and have tried many things such as a direct connection (no splitters), redoing all the terminations to be sure, re-aiming the antenna, moving the antenna to the other side of the balcony (I'm on the 17th floor with a pretty good view, except there is apartment building that seems to be close to the 51-1to3 aim next door, but only a couple stories up). The worst thing is that 51-1to3 showed up on the initial scan, but I have not been able to get them back, although this may be a tropo thing.

Here's my fool report, which reading, it makes sense that I can't get 54-1to3:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=cc49c368f0a7e3

From what I've read, it seems the Antennas Direct DB4e is one of the best antennas to work with the Premiere. I was thinking about adding the CM7778 preamp to try and get 51-1to3 and possibly adding a VHF antenna to get 67-1to4 (and if doing so, getting the CM7777 preamp instead). I've read in the WBBZ thread that the Winegard 1713 works for 671to4.

My question to those with the TIVO premiere is do any of you use the DB4e with a preamp, and if so, what preamp are you using. I recall someone mentioning in the Toronto Outdoor reception thread that they used a CM7778, but can't seem to find the post. Also, is anyone using a separate VHF and UHF antenna, and if so, what antennas are you using and are you using a preamp to combine or a reverse splitter? Is anyone else getting good results with the premiere with an antenna other than the DB4e (such as a combined UHF/VHF antenna), and if so, what are you using? I know many of these posts are scattered throughout the various threads, but there is minimal info in the TIVO thread.

Thanks again to all for your help in shedding the shackles of BEV without having to go to Robbers!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
spindoctor49, don't bother with a pre-amp unless you have a long (eg. 50' ) cable run. Note the Winegard 1713 in a really big antenna. If you are in an a 17th floor apartment building, I can't see how you can get this to work indoors. If you are combining a UHF and VHF antenna, use a UVSJ and not a reverse splitter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply El Gran Chico. I bought the CM7778 on-line at the source to try out and will return if it doesn't improve things...I'm just worried from all I read on the TIVO Premiere tuner. If I end up getting 2-1, I'll be happy and adding any other channels will just be a hobby. My cable is about 30' long, but I have 2 TVs and the TIVO Premiere has a dual tuner, thus it is splitting the signal 4 ways. I'll be sure to post my results with and without the pre-amp.

Good info on the YA1713, I didn't notice that it was 8' long. I have a large 20' long balcony, but it's only about 5' wide thus depending on the angle, could stick out as much as 3'. I'm not sure how much management will like that...there are lots of satellite dishes sticking out, but only half a foot or so. Any suggestions on a VHF only antenna that is no more than 6' long?

I did notice another post suggesting the UVSJ, but wasn't sure it was necessary...will be sure to use one if I do combine.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
spindoctor49, I use a Antennas Direct Clearstrem5 (CS5) - it is a much smaller VHF antenna.

To get back on-topic, the tuner issues on my Premiere have disappeared for the most part. Not sure how it was "fixed" - there's been several firmware updates since I first got mine. I've also tweaked a few things on my antenna set up so to I can't be sure exactly why it is better now.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Which amplifier is best to buy if your cable to the attic is about 200 feet from the antenna? With that long RG6 cable I am getting extremely good reception on most stations except for 14-1 (OMNI CJMT in Ottawa). In the evening CTV-2 comes in fine, but during the daytime it will cut in and out a bit. I have one of those CM4228 antennas in the attic. I turned the direction of it one time and both CTV-2 and CJMT came through in the high 80s signal strength. However, then I lost Global, CityTV, and CTV. I'd rather not lose those stations so I put the antenna back. It seems to be a directional thing. Yet I still get signal on these channels - it's just very weak. I wonder if an amplifier would give me the best of both worlds. Or if I should be doing something entirely different. Any suggestions? If you think an amp might work, which one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
How well does TIVO Premiere work for OTA?

Like the other poster with BEV,we're getting fed up with Shaw Direct,after 10 + years and constantly increrasding costs,AND I have mixed feelings abou the HDPVR630(locked up the other day after I came home,was fine 2 hrs before,had to do a hard reset!)....

Am thinking of grabbing a Tivo Premiere 746420(?)off of Fleabay?

A few questions:

Is it worth it?

Do you have to pay a sub. to get the EPG,or can it build one from the PSIP data?

thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
For me it was worth it. I was with Shaw Direct and spent $804 on their DSR530 PVR. That thing locked up daily, and was very rough around the edges as far as functionality goes. When pressing fast forward, you'd get a glimpse of photos of the show every few seconds. It was horrible, and not like the demo they had on their website at all. To me what they did was a form of false advertising. It's unbelievable that their newest PVR is still locking up.

I bought 2 TiVo's - one in 2010 and one in 2011. That's all I use now in my house for TV. Living in the Ottawa region I get a good variety of stations. I don't know what you would get in Hastings. Maybe you could pick up some Ottawa channels, you'd likely get some stations from Watertown which is nice. The TiVo Premiere or Premiere XL are the best PVRs out there if you ask me. Plus, there is no monthly cable or satellite charge to go OTA. The guide is excellent. I set up a rule on the PVR to always record shows when Bradley Cooper is in them. Several times last week I had recordings because he was on a few talk shows. I love this machine and its versatility - especially since they upgraded the firmware a month ago. It's awesome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For me it was worth it. I was with Shaw Direct and spent $804 on their DSR530 PVR. That thing locked up daily, and was very rough around the edges as far as functionality goes. When pressing fast forward, you'd get a glimpse of photos of the show every few seconds. It was horrible, and not like the demo they had on their website at all. To me what they did was a form of false advertising. It's unbelievable that their newest PVR is still locking up.

I bought 2 TiVo's - one in 2010 and one in 2011. That's all I use now in my house for TV. Living in the Ottawa region I get a good variety of stations. I don't know what you would get in Hastings. Maybe you could pick up some Ottawa channels, you'd likely get some stations from Watertown which is nice. The TiVo Premiere or Premiere XL are the best PVRs out there if you ask me. Plus, there is no monthly cable or satellite charge to go OTA. The guide is excellent. I set up a rule on the PVR to always record shows when Bradley Cooper is in them. Several times last week I had recordings because he was on a few talk shows. I love this machine and its versatility - especially since they upgraded the firmware a month ago. It's awesome.
Essentially,locals for Hastings,ON:

12-CHEX CBC - Peterborough,wnw,286 Mag.,16.9 mi
27.1 CIII GTN - " ,SW,220+ mag.,19.0 mi
35.1 CFTO CTV " ,NW,300+ mag.,29.9 mi.

*the latter 2 are actually a)n. of Baltimore,ON(n. of Cobourg),'Bobcaygeon(nw. of Peterborough)'

My TVfool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d2df96935654dd4

note: It's a bit outdated.No 44 SRC.27 will HD as of Jan. 9,2013.

Wish I could move back to Smiths Falls(lived there for 2 yrs as a kid).Great reception there,I'll bet!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That would be a problem for me. Unless you barely watch TV I'm not certain that is going to be good. I was with Bell satellite for a while. As much as I hate Bell's customer service and ethics I found their PVR was good. I don't recall it locking up on me. It was a much better PVR than the DSR530. It was nowhere near as good as the TiVo but you really need to be living in an area that offers a variety of OTA stations to make it worthwhile. Unless CTV, Global, and CBC are all you care about. I watch shows from CityTV and OMNI 60 lots. Sometimes I watch CHCH but the problem with that station is it's not high def. CHCH says they will switch but so far it's been over a year and I don't know if and when they will. It's a great channel though!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I was just looking at your TV fool. Why not install a roof antenna? That will give you a few more stations and make the TiVo option worthwhile.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That would be a problem for me. Unless you barely watch TV I'm not certain that is going to be good. I was with Bell satellite for a while. As much as I hate Bell's customer service and ethics I found their PVR was good. I don't recall it locking up on me. It was a much better PVR than the DSR530. It was nowhere near as good as the TiVo but you really need to be living in an area that offers a variety of OTA stations to make it worthwhile. Unless CTV, Global, and CBC are all you care about. I watch shows from CityTV and OMNI 60 lots. Sometimes I watch CHCH but the problem with that station is it's not high def. CHCH says they will switch but so far it's been over a year and I don't know if and when they will. It's a great channel though!
For us,getting TVO(preferably in HD) and PBS would be nice,and at least 1 French channel would be nice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was just looking at your TV fool. Why not install a roof antenna? That will give you a few more stations and make the TiVo option worthwhile.
Good idea!Currently,Im using a Channel Master CM-2016HD on a Camera Tripod in the the upstairs bedroom,with 54 ft. of cable going downstairs around the corner to a Sony Bravia 46" 1080P TV.

I'm thinking of putting 1 UHF ant. on the w. side of the house facing NW,maybe a 5 ch. 7-13 Yagi for 12 (wnw),a UHF ant. facing SW 220-240 for Global,both on a J Pole,then I was thinking of combining the VHF ch. 12 ant. with a Channel master ch.12 Jointenna> Winegard YA10-7-13 ant. for Rochester ch. 10 and 13.

UHF would probably have to be an Antennas Direct 91XG,all into a C-7777 Preamp.

I am wondering if the Winegard Ant. and 91XG would be too heavy for a Chimney Mount?

Anyway,I guess we should keep this on topic.so I'll just say the only thing I don't like about the Tivo is having to pay for the Guide.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't know much about antenna mounting. I have a big antenna in my attic that brings in all of the Canadian channels in my area. I don't get any from the states. Some people in my area do but they have external antennas on a huge tower.

When I bought my TiVos I paid right away for the lifetime guide. I figured it was the best thing to do because the monthly payments would total the lifetime after only 2 years. At this time, the Premiere I bought in May 2010 has been costing me less as of May 2012 than it would if I purchased the monthly subscription. For the one I bought May 2011, I still have until May 2013 before that one pays for itself. :) I paid around $800 for each machine. The Shaw Direct PVR was also around that cost but after only 1 year I had to get rid of Shaw. So to me that was the waste of money. The cost for the TiVo machines and the lifetime guide is the best route to go. I don't think these units break down that often. After 4 years if it breaks down I will have got my money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It can only use the EPG from the TiVo service, which mostly is a license fee to use the guide, recording, and network/Internet features of the TiVo software.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What are the advantages of the Tivo EPG,as opposed to an EPG built from TVGOES data?

In reading up online(unless it's been changed),I note that one has to use a border zip code to fool the unit.Is that still true?

btw: What about the TIVO Premiere 746320?

Lots on Fleabay.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know much about antenna mounting. I have a big antenna in my attic that brings in all of the Canadian channels in my area. I don't get any from the states. Some people in my area do but they have external antennas on a huge tower.

When I bought my TiVos I paid right away for the lifetime guide. I figured it was the best thing to do because the monthly payments would total the lifetime after only 2 years. At this time, the Premiere I bought in May 2010 has been costing me less as of May 2012 than it would if I purchased the monthly subscription. For the one I bought May 2011, I still have until May 2013 before that one pays for itself. :) I paid around $800 for each machine. The Shaw Direct PVR was also around that cost but after only 1 year I had to get rid of Shaw. So to me that was the waste of money. The cost for the TiVo machines and the lifetime guide is the best route to go. I don't think these units break down that often. After 4 years if it breaks down I will have got my money's worth out of it.
That makes two of us.I not up on Antenna mounting either!My Attic's not big enough and there's no hydro up there,anyway.

From what I've been reading online,the TIVO is the best DVR for OTA,it would seem.

841 - 860 of 1443 Posts