Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

801 - 820 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah it would have been better if it was a streaming device that would allow you to stream your shows to a 3rd TV without having to buy a completely new TiVo Premiere. That's what I thought they were building.

I probably would use it a tiny bit on my iPad, but right now I rarely watch TV shows on my iPad. It's small and kind of uncomfortable. It's more relaxing to watch it on the TV in my bedroom or living room.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
They are, or were last I know, making two boxes - the streamer to stream from Series 4 box to a TV, and the transcoder to convert to iPad or other formats on the fly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, there are 2 boxes that have been announced;

The 'Tivo stream': hard wired on your network, can connect to multiple Tivo premiere series (premiere, premiere Elite or xl4), and steam 'live' or recorded to Ipad (android coming soon) connected to your private network. It can also download non- protected recording to take on the road. Available on Sept 6 for $129

The IP-STB(called the 'Mini'): is a DVR-Less extender and only connect to the Premiere Elite/XL4 ( 4 tuners, cablecard only) that uses an internal cablecard. It is kind of the portal of the gateway system that Shaw uses. Availability and pricing not annonced yet.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh well in that case it's no good for us antenna only TiVo users. I guess it means eventually buying another TiVo if I want to hook my 3rd tv up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apple TV and TiVo Stream

From what I've read, it seems the TiVo Stream will work through an iPad app...but I wonder if it will be possible to stream to an Apple TV. That would be useful, and allow for the content on one TiVo to be shared throughout a home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got a channel lineup update today (14201 - Niagara Falls zip) that moved CJMT from 69.1 to 40.1 - which was expected - tuned to it and it's blank however. I think the update guys have missed something!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yup Scruffy. They changed the display channel, but not the physical channel (still shows as 51). Not even sure the display channel will be 40-1 or 69-1. We'll find out very soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK, it has been more than a week and TiVo still haven't fixed CJMT-DT. Has anyone submitted a line-up correction request? If not, I will... it being missing is really starting to annoy me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tivo stream quick review

Got the new Tivo stream last week.

Installation and setup could not be any easier; plug in the included power supply and ethernet cable , wait for the white light then start the IOS Tivo app. On the app start, the Tivo stream is automatically detected and start the setup. There are 2 steps that you will need to do:
1, Add your tivo stream to your account on tivo.com
2. Force your Premiere (s) to call

That's it. Yor are then ready to use.

The streaming works perfectly. Tried it on Ipad 1, Ipad 3 and Iphone 4s with no issue.

The downloads works very well. It akes around 20 mins to transfer for an hour show set at best quality(1 gig per hour). The caveat is the space that each shows may take on your device as you may have limited space.

I am very satisfied with the purchase and recommend it for the IOS user on the road or wanted to watch TV anywhere in the house.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Andre

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
johnnyzee99, go to the US app store. Pretty sure the instructions are further up in this thread. Or just google "itunes US store from Canada" or something like that. You'll need to create a new Apple ID for sure (so I think you'll need a 2nd email address to link it to). It's a bit of a pain but worth it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
El Gran Chico is correct, To get to the tivo app, see post #365.

It is easy. The pain is toswitch account once in a while to update.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Andre, I've been interested in the tivo stream too. Can you actually stream live content to your Ios device on the fly while someone watches say the other tuner on the tivo premiere box? Or is it just for offloading programs to your ipad etc without the need to transfer and convert. Thx.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can 'watch' live tv if there is a tuner free. It is kind of a trickery as a recording is started to do so. If the tuner cannot be assigned, it let you know. It takes about 8 seconds to start once requested. If you switch to another channel, it will bring the conflict screen and ask if you want to stop recording.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TiVo guide in GTA

I've asked tivo twice to update their guide to reflect the new CKVR repeater stations - I pick-up 42.1 but to no result. Is anyone getting guide info for the new stations?

801 - 820 of 1443 Posts