Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 420 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
HWP, I know TiVo sold some series 1 and series 2 DVRs in canada, but those were not HD (not even sure they are for OTA :confused:). Make sure it is a Series 3 (a.k.a Tivo HD) or a Premiere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a tivo for OTA hd in ottawa and I see some great deals on premieres with upgraded (2TB) hard drives and lifetime service on ebay (in the $650 range)

Has anyone had any experience with buying tivos off ebay, or more specifically buying tivos with lifetime service off ebay? I don't want to pay all that much and then find out I can't transfer it cause I'm in canada or something.

Also, I've read that some people have better luck with the older HD model rather than the premiere. What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
A coworker got a TiVO HD off a ebay with lifetime. He previously asked the seller the TiVo number of the machine and he called TiVo CS to ask about the lifetime.

They said everything was ok.

He paid the seller and it's working like # 1.

He did not pay duty just GST.

The main benefit is that the TiVo HD seems more stable because it's more mature (Firmware).

I got mine new at Sears in Massena in 2008.

I'm looking at purchasing a tivo for OTA hd in ottawa and I see some great deals on premieres with upgraded (2TB) hard drives and lifetime service on ebay (in the $650 range)

Has anyone had any experience with buying tivos off ebay, or more specifically buying tivos with lifetime service off ebay? I don't want to pay all that much and then find out I can't transfer it cause I'm in canada or something.

Also, I've read that some people have better luck with the older HD model rather than the premiere. What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bought all but one on Ebay. Suggest you buy a Premiere. You can buy new
for the price you are quoting.

New premiere: $99 ($59 on some sites)
Lifetime: $499 ($399 if existing customer)
For the drive size, external might be a better choice as it does not void the warranty. goes for $119 and is available locally.

TivoHD, as it was said, is more mature but you may lose some great functionalities in the long run. Premiere is fine, albeit a weaker OTA receiver but not by much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The price I was quoting was for an XL with an upgraded HD (to 2TB). I had not thought about the voiding the warranty issue with that though.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I purchased my first Premiere from Amazon USA, and paid Tivo for the lifetime but this worked out to be expensive once the shipping to Montreal and GST was added ($650 total). I recently purchased a used Premiere XL with Lifetime from a BC Ebayer who regularly offers new and used Tivos on EBay at reasonable prices. No problems with the transfer to my account and the bonus of no GST, or shipping hassles from the USA. I set up a search on EBay to notify me whenever any Tivos are listed by Canadians, and I still get updates on a weekly basis. Either way, new or used, the Tivo Premiere works great here in Montreal for OTA!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sigh. It's happening to me again. My Tivo had a message this morning that there are changes to my guide line up. This is exactly what happened 2 years ago when Tivo thought that 22.1 was Chan, 33.1 was CTV etc. Of course, those aren't the channels (black screens) and now I have to phone (again and again probably) to get them to change it back to the correct channels (8.1, 32.1, 10.1). Not looking forward to spending my holiday monday on the phone with Tivo. :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
For those of you who have their Tivo's set in the 14301 zip code, I submitted a Lineup change request last night, so that the changes to CHCH-DT and the addition of CICA-DT (TVO's digital channel) are added/modified for that lineup.

I'm guessing that when they make the changes to 14301, they should propagate out to the other lineups CHCH-DT and CICA-DT are in.

I'll let you know when I get any updates from Tivo.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks Scruffy. Note that you CAN set up a TiVo with a Canadian Postal code (at least you can on the Premiere). Mine (M8Z3M1) has all the Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo, and Rochester stations (including WBBZ and CKVR) except for these 2 new ones - actually CHCH-DT is there with RF 18 which does match the RF11 channel :(.

I believe when the two new ones get loaded for 1 zip/postal code, all other zip/postal codes that had the old channels will get the new ones.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Scruffy. Note that you CAN set up a TiVo with a Canadian Postal code (at least you can on the Premiere). Mine (M8Z3M1) has all the Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo, and Rochester stations (including WBBZ and CKVR) ...
Yeah, when I originally got my TivoHD, Tivo didn't believe in HD channels working in Canada, so none of the postal codes up here had any DT listings. Times have changed (thankfully) but I haven't ;) I've been too lazy to change over to a Canadian postal code. I've no need, as I have no cable at all, and the Niagara zip code is missing no Canadian OTA so far.

I forgot to put in an addition about the extra sub-channels on WBBZ. Tivo only has listings for 2 out of 4 so far (I think) -- but then I don't get WBBZ on my setup right now.

I hope Tivo gets their updates done soon. Last time there was any great switching around of channels, I remember it taking a lot longer than I was happy with for Tivo to catch up.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've always used my Canadian Postal Code for my Tivo HD and have not had any problems with Canadian listings (up until now). Your posts are making me think it might be worth trying a Bellingham Wa Zip Code to see if it fixes my problem of good guide listings being on a blank channel and no listings on the good channel. I may try it this weekend since Tivo has told me they aren't going to do anything to fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my tivo and a new attic mount antenna. When I plug the antenna into the tv, I get the new global digital channel. When I plug it into the tivo it can't find it... What gives?

·
Registered
265 Posts
What tivo model do you have? If tivo hd, do you have te antenna connected on the antenna connector and, have you done the guided setup for your area?

·
Registered
78 Posts
TIVO Questions

Hi

I was in Buffalo yesterday and was ready to buy a Tivo but they told me I had to sign up for the Tivo service for a monthly fee. I told them I didn't need the service as I was only looking for the PVR and receiver - only the hardware but they said they couldn't sell it without the added monthly fee. This was at Best Buy.

So, I see there are Canadians discussing Tivo's in this forum. Do you use it with the service? Or are you just using it for the PVR with the built-in tuner for DTV? Is this possible? I see plenty of Tivos on Ebay, presumably being sold without the monthly service requirement, so I am assuming that they work out of the box for OTA Digital TV tuning/PVRing.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Larry, you definitely need TiVo service. I was able to buy mine without service at the point of sale (also Best Buy USA), then added lifetime service from home. Perhaps TiVo has changed the rules since I bought mine?! :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
CICA-DT appeared in my listings yesterday! :cool:
Damn! Nothing added in 14301 yet. I just ran a connect to the mothership and updated just in case too! I guess I'll either have to be more patient, or move to a Canadian postal code.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any tivos are a brick without the service. No TV guide, no recording. You can go with lifetime or monthly. Premiere is more expensive if you go monthly and locked in for 12 months. Lifetime is more expensive at first, but you will break even in about 30 months.

One final note: There are currently no tivos that work with Digital cable in Canada. Only OTA and analog cable. A few were lucky and could get a cable card activated (Cogeco).

401 - 420 of 1443 Posts