Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are many antenna expert on this site. You may want to ask the question in the OTA forum or look at the antenna FAQ.
Thanks again. You've inspired me to diagnose better. I'll test my TiVo at another house with a correctly installed antenna. if it does the same thing, it's probably the TiVo, if it works fine at another house, then I'll get the installer to correct my antenna.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My TiVo is on firmware version 14.8 now. Previously it was 14.7. The only thing I noticed was the scanning for channels screen is now black and white.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Version 14.8 does really nothing to the HDUI. They changed a few graphics (icons, colors and fonts) to match the SD side that's pretty much it.

There are many more changes "under the hood":
1. Tivo can run up to 6 streams concurrently
2. Hulu plus is working and enabled for USA users
3. with multiple premiere, you can delete shows from each others.

There might be more but nothing has been officially announced.

Maybe version 15.0 will bring the finished UI.

I finally got my premiere on Lifetime. I made the plunge as they were increasing lifetime from 299 to 399 for current users and changing the price structure again. In the next few weeks, I will retire my two series 2 and I am looking into replacing one with a premiere or a TivoHD.

Once done, I will be ready to cut the cable cord.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I can't wait to cut the cable cord. Even more, I'm anxious to see all of the local channels switch to digital. I just hope that the Ottawa channels are going to be high def and not just digital standard def.

My TiVo would periodically go into a semi lockup state. The menu listing the PVR contents displays Internet content. Even though I have a very fast speed Internet at 30 Mbps via a DOCSIS modem, the Internet content would hang the machine. I'm hoping with this 14.8 change the issue will be gone. That was really the worst issue of this TiVo premiere machine.

I'm really loving the iPad TiVo app. I'm using it a lot. If they activate Netflix for Canada, I'll buy another premiere for my bedroom. The premiere XL is on sale for $299 and the Premiere is $99. The lifetime is normally $399 and it's down to $299.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Finally found where I'd read the PSIP/Described Video issue with CTV before. We should maybe try contacting CTV.

El Gran Chico, if you're reading this, did you ever get ahold of anyone at CTV Toronto? Did the problem you have get fixed?
Yup, it was fixed. Had to phone them. I don't think emails ever reach engineering.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't experiences many semi lock ups. Maybe 2 or 3 in the last 6 months. I can see that happening if any slowdown happens somewhere in the pipelines as the premiere is very dependent of the content server.

Yes, the Tivo apps is great! most of the bad rating on itunes is from series 3 owner that can't use it.

I don't have much hope for Netflix. If it happens, it is because Tivo adopted the Netflix interface instead of theirs as they did with Hulu plus.

Still don't understand why they don't enable Youtube:confused:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes YouTube is a mystery too. That should definitely be enabled. It's not like YouTube is only accessible in the US.

My machine would lock up once every two months so it wasn't all of the time. You could still use it, but it would take close to 8 minutes to get your shows displayed and to play one. It would remain like this until I unplugged the power and left it unplugged for 5 minutes. I have the TiVo premiere, not the XL.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As mentioned in one of my previous post (#372), should we complain and take the risk on TivoHD to lose their youtube access?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No I would not complain that some Canadians get it. I think all of us should get it.

We should complain to get it turned on. Maybe with OTA coming more people will take interest in TiVo here and with a bigger customer base they'll do something. I don't know though, most Canadians I know have next to no interest in electronics, OTA, VoIP, etc. They don't care about price. People are spoiled and complacent. They'd rather pay Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Telus, Videotron, Eastlink, etc. billions per year than look for alternatives.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry if I left the impression to complain to turn the TivoHD Youtube off. Meant we should request for the Premiere to get Youtube. That may cause Tivo to turn off the TivoHD Youtube off.

As for Canadians not having interest in electronics, not sure, we are surrounded by it. Don't know many people that are like Pokerface (No disrespect intended!) most like the new toys and like more, not less. May be one of the reason why some did not embrace OTA, VOIP or services "à la Netflix".

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Most people I know are not like that, and I work with programmers which is strange. I think people on these forums do think similarly when it comes to this stuff. Maybe it's just an education thing, or lack of. I digress.

I'm still not certain what you mean about complaining to TiVo to turn on YouTube. Why would that have an affect on TiVoHD?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well,

If I call and ask if I can get Youtube on the Premiere, here how I expect the discussion to go:

Me: Hello, I am in Canada and I would like to access Youtube on my Premiere
Tivo: Sorry sir, the Premiere is not supported in Canada nor is Youtube
Me: Is the TivoHD supported ?
Tivo: Neither. Only Series 2 is supported and it cannot have Youtube as it requires streaming the Series 2 doesn't support.
Me: The TivoHD can access Youtube in Canada, Would it be a way to turn on the same flag as TivoHD for the Premiere ?
Tivo: this is an error, Youtube is not available in Canada due to copyrights.

Etc....

The ticket could be elevated to clarify why it is different for Premiere with good or bad results.

May not be the best strategy. Please let me know if you have a suggestion how it can be brought up.

P.S. Might be wrong, I thought you tried a few months ago ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Haha that's pretty much what will happen. I've gone in circles with them too over Netflix. It's a shame. No company in their right mind would say, "We don't support our country", yet I've actually had them say this to me.

It's unbelievable considering TiVo isn't doing so well these days. Why refuse business in this global climate the Internet affords us? Maybe they want out of business.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Got a TivoHD Sunday (through Ebay) to replace one of my S2. Well, no kidding. The antenna signals are way more higher than the Premiere! I get over 100% on some channels. Had to lower it by 7.5 DB with an attenuator. Still very high on some channels but acceptable on all.

As for Netflix and Youtube, Yep, they are there as others have reported.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks andrela. That's good to know. In some aspects it seems TiVo did a better job with their older machines. I keep hoping a premiere firmware release will greatly improve the things you mentioned on that unit. I keep hoping. It's been a year so my hope has dwindled some, but maybe...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where to buy TIVO?

I was checking on line. It doesn't look like your can purchase at Best Buyer, Future Shop, The Brick or The Source. Has TIVO pulled out of Canada? Can anyone tell me where a TIVO can be purchased in the GTA?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
vap57, you will need to go over the border to get one. I bought mine on a trip over 48 hours so it was part of my goods acquired abroad exemption. :cool:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think I saw them for sale at TigerDirect in their retail store in Markham. Call first, though.

381 - 400 of 1443 Posts