Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You actually don't need a very fast PC as the encoding for the SD capture cards is done by the card and for OTA HD there is no encoding required as the tuner card is just storing bits to your hard drive. As long as you can play back Divx files then your PC is likely fast enough. And buying a new PC may be cheaper than getting a TiVo as not only is there the up front fee of $300 plus a monthly fee of $12.95. That makes the 2 year cost about US$600 and you can buy a decent PC for that, assuming that you are hooking it up to an existing HDTV.

And to make the TiVo half decent you would have to expand the hard drive which would cost about another $100.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buffalo OTA stations in Toronto - TiVo settings are strange

Greetings all, So i haven't had much time to experiment but i have a Tivo HD DVR with an analog Rogers cable and a OTA antenna for HD set-up. Within Tivo's guided set-up u must choose between a postal code or a zipcode to continue with set-up. In my case i needed to choose a postal code to download the rogers cable guide.

Now on the OTA side of things, Tivo has made some assumptions on what they believe u can receive via antenna. All the canadian broadcast stations show up in the guide automatically for my postal code. I'm located in Toronto. Here's where it gets strange. The guide gives me a only Buffalo in analog broadcasts. In order for me to include digital Buffalo channels in the guide i need to do a manual channel scan after Tivo's guided setup is complete. Then add the new channels to the guide. Which is fine but the digital Buffalo channels won't show any guide info. All it says for them is "No Info Available".

I haven't gone much further than this except to include the channel info for the Buffalo digitals in the guide via the Rogers analog list. You can add and delete channels that Tivo gives manually. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
pshseek, since you chose a postal code to get the Canadian listings, are you getting guide info for the OTA channels? I was not getting any Canadian OTA guide info, so I ended up putting in an American Zip code (Point Roberts) which, ironically contains all the guide info for the Canadian OTA channels that you don't get if you put in a Postal Code. I have deleted all the channels from the Point Roberts cable system and am using the Tivo as basically a 3 channel OTA PVR and use my Shaw box for the rest of the channels.

I have not heard that they have added guide data for Canadian OTA stations if you enter a postal code, but if they have, I'll quickly change it back to Postal Code (and be extremely happy!).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Perhaps this is a recent addition to the Tivo channel listings they add to your local lineup according to your postal code. But that's all i did was enter a postal code to obtain my local analog cable channel listings for Rogers, I'm probably a small handful of analog only Rogers customers left, and since i told the Tivo i was hooking up an antenna also, up popped all my OTA locals as well. I reckon they'll be more changes to Tivo's way of doing the channel lineups once the American analog shutdown happens. Has anyone out there heard for a fact that Digital broadcasting stations in the U.S. will boost their signal strengths after Feb in order to reach more homes? Will we see a rise in signal strength based purely on no more analog signals flying about? Has anyone heard of any particular Network stations' plans particularly in the Buffalo/Toronto area?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
All of the HD TiVo models will tune and record ATSC channels at the received resolution and compression, and play them back as they were received, including HD channels.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i told the Tivo i was hooking up an antenna also, up popped all my OTA locals as well.
Ok, just to be clear; Canadian Postal Code and Canadian OTA channels with guide information? If that is the case, this is huge (for me), but I don't want to go through the whole guided setup routine if nothing has actually changed.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
TiVo OTA Stations In GTA

Here is a complete list of OTA digital channels that i get guide info for from Tivo:

CBC
CTV
CHCH
PBS
CW23
CITS
GLOBAL
CITYTV

Here are the digital channels that i manually scan for then add to the guide list:

NBC
CBS
ABC
FOX
OMNI1
OMNI2
WB49
SUNTV

These digital channels have no guide info listed but the american channels get guide info from Tivo on the analog equivalent. What i do is list both analog and digital in the guide to see what's on then choose the digital channel to watch or record. It's strange i know but i'm hoping this changes next Feb. For Omni's and Suntv i need to list the analog cable equivalent which isn't listed right above in the guide list making it a bit more difficult to first see what's on then watch the digital channel. I hope this makes sense and helps.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well, pshseek is right. Did a new guided setup and put in my Canadian Postal code and everything came up correctly. All Shaw analog cable channels and all Canadian OTA HD with guide data. Don't know when this happened, but it's great (not that I am interested in recording many lo-def shows off the analog channels, but it's nice to have).

As the pioneer of Tivo HD OTA in Canada, I wonder if Dajak knows about this. Are you out there Dajak?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about DIGITAL cable channels?

Did a new guided setup and put in my Canadian Postal code and everything came up correctly. All Shaw analog cable channels and all Canadian OTA HD with guide data.
Has any HD TiVo owner done a fresh guided setup -- someone who subscribes to digital cable? I would love to know whether the TiVo guide updates include Rogers digital. This would be as close to TiVo nirvana as we could get in CableCard-less Toronto: a bunch of HD OTA channels, plus all the Rogers SD channels.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It won't have the Roges digital guide without a cablecard, and of course, Rogers does not offer cablecards. Digital cable guide data relies on virtual channel numbers, without a cablecard to do the mapping, you get the QAM channel numbers, which have no guide data.

It will have Rogers analog though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
ATSC Tuner

Hello,

Does anyone know if the ATSC tuner in the Tivo HD or series 3 is good and sensitive ?

Also what generation is the tuner ?

I asking this because I would have to plug my CM4228 with CM7777 to the Tivo instead of my Samsung plamsa 42a450 and would need a good tuner.

I would plug the 4221 for local channel in the Samsung tuner.

Can I also use a splitter between the TV and Tivo instead ? or I will loose some signal because of the splitter lost ?

Thanks,

Intravino

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have direct line-of-sight to the transmitters on Mt. Seymour, so I don't really need a great receiver. I do remember when the Tivo Series 3 came out 2 years ago (of which the Tivo HD is a variation) a lot of people were saying that it is an extremely good ATSC receiver. I think you could generally be assured that it is one of the better ones out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all just a quick update, got my tivo, did the setup and its working great.

I used my milton postal code so about half of the HD channels I recieve have

guide info. I'm hopeful that tivo will wake up and realize the potential for

sales in the canadian OTA market and add guide info for all my buffalo stations,

though I fear or perhaps tivo fears possible crtc hassles if they where to

provide them, and I'm sure Bell and Rogers would fight it, only to protect our

Canadian heritage of course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm going to post this question here as if I get an answer It may help other

Tivo users. I have four channels with no picture yet they have a good signal

strength, they are 23-2, 47-1, 52-1 and 69-1. Now here's where it gets interesting,

Tivo provides guide info for 47-1 and 52-1 when I was searching for info on the

forum I found that 52-1 which I have guide info but no picture may have moved

to 66-1 which has a picture but no guide. and the same may be true for 47-1

and 64-1. I have not been able to find any reason for no picture on 23-2 or 69-1.

anyways if anyone can understand what the heck I just wrote and has any

insight I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I'm hopeful that tivo will wake up and realize the the potential for sales in the canadian OTA market and add guide info for all my buffalo stations,
though I fear or perhaps tivo fears possible crtc hassles if they where to provide them, and I'm sure Bell and Rogers would fight it, only to protect our Canadian heritage of course.
This has nothing to do with the CRTC -TiVo's support of Canada has always been fairly weak - for several years I was part of a community that provided "roll-your-own" guide data using info from XMLTV. TiVo did start loosely supporting Canada a few years ago but that was primarily for their SD models. Supposedly the problem with HD data is that the guide data providers do not provide the input to TiVo - or to other similar products such as MCE.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Wayne, I think Chudsmith is talking about getting US OTA channel guide info when he puts in his Canadian Postal Code. As outlined earlier in the thread, I was happily surprised to find that Tivo has quietly started to provide full cable and OTA guide data in Canada.

And, I think I know what community you are referring to. It was a great help to me in those dark days post-DTV and pre-canadian support.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For anyone interested I thought I'd mention that If you have a Tivo HD unit and a blu-ray player there is a way to back up full HD programs from your Tivo on DVD and play it using your blu-ray player. Which comes in handy if your Tivo has a smaller Drive like mine ( only 20 hrs of HD content ).

First you need to connect your Tivo to your home network.

Second download Tivo Desktop form Tivo.com. this will allow you to transfer
recorded content from your Tivo to your home computer.

third you will need to download a program called VideoRedo with this you can
remove the commercials by selecting ad-detective. Click the Save as
button in VideoRedo to save the recording without commercials to your
hard drive in .MPG 2 format.

fourth burn the saved MPG 2 file to a dvd or dvd-dl disc. just burn it as a
data disc and finalize it.

this works with my PS3 and most sony blu-ray disc players. you can't just put it in the player and press play, you need to select the disc in the players menu. if this does not work in your player I would advise you do a firmware update and try again as the ability to play MPG 2 format was not available in earlier models of players.
you can also convert the MPG 2 file to AVCHD format,but the conversion process takes about 5 days for an average movie ( seriously ).

21 - 40 of 1443 Posts