Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

341 - 360 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
From what I've read in the Tivo Community forums, the Series 3 HD and the Premiere use exactly the same tuner, but for reasons unknown, the Series 3 units seem to be better at pulling in and locking on weak signals. After reading alot of people complaining about the Premiere OTA ability vs. Series 3, I decided to go with the "older" Series 3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
new issue*** starting thursday (for me anyways)

Digital OTA Channels all go blank constantly... after a reset everything works...then a few hours later it goes all blank again

this has been going on for 3 consecutive days in a row...

i am thinking it is a software glitch...can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Started Friday for me here on two Premieres OTA in Toronto. Have had to reboot each of them 3 or 4 times, over the last couple days. When one goes blank, the other is still working. Checking channel signal strength shows zero for every channel once it goes blank. While my other receiver shows regular strength. Not sure what to make of it at this point...

new issue*** starting thursday (for me anyways)

Digital OTA Channels all go blank constantly... after a reset everything works...then a few hours later it goes all blank again

this has been going on for 3 consecutive days in a row...

i am thinking it is a software glitch...can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I haven't had mine go blank but I recall one evening I turned it on and the TiVo dance screen came up. This usually only happens when I reboot the machine and I had not rebooted it. So I thought maybe there was new firmware. I looked and I'm at version 14.7-01-3-746. I know I was at version 14.7 before but don't know if the numbers after that changed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Started Friday for me here on two Premieres OTA in Toronto. Have had to reboot each of them 3 or 4 times, over the last couple days. When one goes blank, the other is still working. Checking channel signal strength shows zero for every channel once it goes blank. While my other receiver shows regular strength. Not sure what to make of it at this point...
I have a Premiere...and yes basically it is the same problem... it has roughly a 2 hour interval where it has all the channels then it goes all blank again!

i have submitted a inquiry with tivo, i hope this gets resolved quickly

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Tivo Series 3.

I don't have any problem with the channels going blank, but I have been experiencing almost daily reboots.

I've run a kickstart-54 and done the SMART tests on both of my drives... both passed.

I've also run a kickstart-52 just to be sure my software is OK/up-to-date and the reboots have continued to happen.

Strange thing that happened a week or two before the reboots was I got a sudden duplicate of my entry for CITY-HD. If I go to the channel-list and deselect either of the duplicates, then neither shows up in my Guide.

The reboots seem to be happening around noon, or midnight.

Anyone found any reasons this might be happening?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
blank screen - I'm also affected now

I'm getting the blank screen issue too. Just curious what you guys see in Message & Settings > Account & System Information > DVR Diagnostics

Signal Strength, SNR, RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected all show as "-" when I get the problem.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Snipes/Windmobile: Are you still having problems with your Premieres? For the most part mine is dead in the water for OTA. :mad: OTA Signal is strong on my other tuners though. :confused:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Bizzare!!

Given that I exhausted all "possible" explanations for my problem, I started trying the "impossible". I tried unplugging my preamp (which killed the signal to all devices of course) and when I plugged it back in, I had signal everywhere including the TiVo!! :cool:

I'm guessing the pre-amp was putting something on the line the TiVo's tuner was sensitive to, but not to all my other tuners, and resetting the preamp cleared it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The reboots seem to be happening around noon, or midnight.
Anyone found any reasons this might be happening?
I had something similar to this happen a few years ago with my Series 2. Turned out to be some kind of update that would get applied and required a reboot. The unit would reboot, but the update wouldn't show as applied, so the next call home to the Tivo mothership would cause it to apply the update and reboot again. I had to rerun setup to clear the condition.

Not sure if this helps you out. My current Series 3 is working fine and making daily calls without issue. No reboots.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine TiVo premieres had been incident free for a good 3 weeks or so until this week when they blacked out once. Each unit lost signal on different days. After a reboot they have been fine again since.

I also suspected my preamp when I originally was having it drop multiple times a day so I swapped it out with another one. They still happened with that one so I went back to my original and like I said, things were good for a number of weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had something similar to this happen a few years ago with my Series 2. Turned out to be some kind of update that would get applied and required a reboot. The unit would reboot, but the update wouldn't show as applied, so the next call home to the Tivo mothership would cause it to apply the update and reboot again. I had to rerun setup to clear the condition.
The reboot issue cleared itself up after I ran a few forced software updates. (Kickstart 56)
I've only had one issue in the last couple of weeks which seemed to be related to a Software Update not applying correctly, but I solved that by power-cycling the Tivo.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
OIthers in Toronto have reported similar problems in the "TIVO Community" web site. I too, has similar problems that eventualy appear to be "correctable errors" on CFTO 9.1 in To. Don't know if it is my Amp or comming from CFTO.but has been stable for last few weeks. Have a look at TIVO Community.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm wondering how others' experience is with the TiVo's ATSC decoder. I currently have an unamplified 4221 on my roof, and there's a huge difference between the reception I get on my Bell 9242 or Panasonic TV vs the TiVo. (I have absolutely no reception, for example, of City on 57.1 with my TiVo, but it comes in (with occasional dropouts) on the PVR and TV.)

Has anyone tried without an amplifier, and then switched to a (for example) CM7778 preamp? If so, what was your experience pre and post?

·
Registered
637 Posts
TiVoHD

My TiVoHD has the same tuner as the DTVpal DVR; MicroTune MT2131.

Some CECB boxes have also the MicroTune MT2131.

Compared to my Samsung 2008 Plasma TV, it's a bit less sensitive but compared to my Samsung 2010 LCD TV, it's the same or a bit better.

The TiVoHD is connected to a CM7777 with a CM4228 and Delhi 10Y13S combo. I cannot run it without a preamp because I have over 100 feet of coax.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm wondering how others' experience is with the TiVo's ATSC decoder. I currently...

Has anyone tried without an amplifier, and then switched to a (for example) CM7778 preamp? If so, what was your experience pre and post?
I had a CM7778 pre-amp up on my mast last year, but I found I had to remove it, because with it installed, I lost Fox (RF 14, 29-1) due to overload. I think the Canadian analogs caused the issues, but I'm not 100% sure on that front. Once the analogs are gone this August, I might go put it back in to see if it helps me get any of the Buffalo stations that are missing/marginal for me (WPXJ, WNYO)

I find that overall, the Tivo tuner is marginally worse than the tuner in my Sony KDL-46XBR4, but quite a bit better than the tuner in my PC (currently an ATI TV Wonder 650.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Tivo Premiere is known for its weak tuner. TivoHD and Series 3 have much better tuner. I should also add that the Premiere usually do not like cheap or many amplified antennas.

I have a Premiere. Compared to my TV (Toshiba) it is around 6 DB less and fluctuates more. Lucky of me, my signals are coming quite strong.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Series3, HD and Premieres all have dual tuners onboard, so there is also an internal splitter with all of its losses to factor in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm in the market for a PVR for my bedroom. I have a TiVo in my living room, but due to the lack of support TiVo provides to Canada I won't buy another one. By lack of support I mean:

- No Netflix access
- No YouTube access
- No TiVo remote app to Canadians in the Apple App Store

If it wasn't for that I'd probably buy another one even though the premiere interface is sluggish and somewhat buggy with its mix of HD and SD menus.

341 - 360 of 1443 Posts