Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

321 - 340 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
TiVo just announced changes to their payment plans for monthly service and the hardware effective November 14, 2010. It sounds like the new terms apply to Premiere boxes sold on or after today. You can now get a Premiere for $99 but the monthly fee is higher...

Go to TiVo's website to read the fine details..

I still have 2 old Series 2 units that are grandfathered on a multi-service discount plan so I'm paying 12/month for one unit and 7/month for the second one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It took a while to find the costs on their website. I easily found their new plan of $19.99 per month, but the other plans are buried. Obviously they want people signing up with the $19.99 plan as there is more money in the end for them.

For instance if you pay the full $299 for the machine, you can still get the $12.95 per month guide fee. That works out to $155.88 per year on the guide fee. For the first year you'll pay $454.88.

With the $99 special plus $19.99 per month, you'll pay $338.88.

Where they get you is year 3 and beyond. For year 2 on the old plan your total after the 2 years will be $609.80. On the new plan your total after 2 years is $578.76. For year 3 you're looking at $765.20 as opposed to $818.64.

If you buy the lifetime guide at $399 you're looking at $698 total. There are no further charges after that. It is a lot of money, but for me I've got no cable bill and a PVR that will hopefully not break down for the next 5 to 7 years. Maybe it will one day need a new hard drive. I'll put it in myself. If you have the money and plan on using the machine for more than 2.5 years, then the lifetime is the plan for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good Calculations. There is a lot of posting right now on another forum as many bought new premiere for $99 one to two days before the announcement and are debating if the new monthly fee applies to them.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you pick the new plan you cannot convert to lifetime until your contract ends. That's a real downside to it. However, if you plan to switch within 3 years to something like the Moxi, or you just don't have the money right now then the new deal is it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those that have a Tivo HD Premiere in the GTA - where did you purchase it from? I'm going over to Buffalo tomorrow and I want to get one there but Best Buy online is showing no availability.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I paid the first month before deciding to go with the lifetime, and they refunded my first month because I switched before the 30 days were up. So my total cost was $386.05. No tax.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to follow up...

There is no tax because the tax rate in LEO, WYOMING is 0% :D

I Purchased my TiVo from ebay on Nov 5th but it only arrived today so when i tried to activate it online, it was giving me the $19.99 option

I called and they confirmed that my Service Number is eligible for the standard $12.95 monthly plan or $399.99 Lifetime plan

Thank God! I was scared they would suck me into this new "$19.99" crap

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Keep in mind there may be no tax, but it was US dollars. The total on my card was $416. The exchange rate has been great lately. It's a good time to buy US goods.

I wonder if you buy the box at Best Buy for $99 how will they know that this box requires the 1-year $19.99 contract? Or maybe they'll still give you the $399 lifetime deal? I thought if the box was $99 you would be forced into the 1-year @ $19.99.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just called TiVo and they say they are not selling TiVo in the stores for $299. They are all the $99.99 deal with $19.99 per month guide fee. If you want lifetime guide, the only way to get it is ordering directly from TiVo at $299 plus the $399 lifetime. You cannot get that flavor in the stores "currently".

·
Registered
12 Posts
okay so i got the tivo premiere all set up and ready to go. i did not activate it yet so its on the status "NEW" where the menu is SD (SD menu looks terrible)

i scan the channels...verdict!

AWFUL Tuner! It is so bad...

I am getting very weak signal on:
64.1 OMNI 1
41.1 Global
66.1 SUN
57.1 CITY

and many other channels (That are farther away...US)

Yet...i get:

7.1 ABC
23.1 CW
17.1, 17.2, 17.3 PBS

Can someone in Toronto confirm the major discrepency between the TiVo Premiere and an LG 47" LCD TV (2009)?

Is there a software fix coming soon? I cant afford to keep an expensive machine that can only record half the channels i have available...

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
okay so just to follow up to my previous post...

i have a channel master signal distributor (1 in 4 out) so i thought maybe that was the issue...

Turns out...it was!

I removed the signal amplifier and just plugged the cable straight into the TiVo...then i got all the Canadian channels and strong American networks.

So the TiVo Tuner isn't as bad as originally thought...it just seems to have a real problem with increased noise levels and amplification.

So All is well...still not as sensitive as an LG LCD TV but still fairly good...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up a Tivo Premiere in Buffalo on Tuesday to replace a Dish Network PVR that was less than a reliable "pal" ;)

I'm really enjoying it so far. I used El Gran Chico's postal code and got all of my channels. The tuner seems to be on par with the DTVPal unit, which is to say, an improvement over the tuner in my Panasonic plasma set. The DTVPal had numerous issues, but the #1 drawback was its reliance on TVGOS/PSIP for the guide. With Tivo, it's like a new awakening. It's actually incredible how much programming you can get OTA in Toronto. My HD is filling up rapidly and I'll soon have to consider either upgrading the HD or buying an external HD unit.

One killer feature is the BlackBerry Tivo DVR Scheduler app, for those that have a BlackBerry, especially the one-click recording. Very nice to have if you're out and about and forget to record something that you want to watch. I'm OK with the $19.99 (USD) per month subscription for the Tivo service - it's worth it for the pure convenience IMHO. Plus, it's not like I have a cable bill anymore...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hey Aaron, looks like we think alike on the 2 boxes! Glad to see my efforts to get the channel guide updated are helping others! :cool:

The other thing I like vs. the "pal" is name-based recording. And don't forget you can download saved recording to a PC - either Tivo Desktop or KMTTG does that nicely.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What does "lifetime" mean?

Just evesdropping on your thread.

What does lifetime mean (vs. monthly plan)?

With my Sirius radio, if you have the lifetime subscription, it is for the lifetime of your radio. There are some tricks to streching it out but no matter how you try, it won't be your lifetime (unless your device outlives you).

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The ID of the box is hard-coded into the CMOS so you can replace hard drives, fans etc pretty much forever and it'll still be recognized as the original Tivo. I'm still using the one I bought in 2001 with lifetime to get me the multi-service discount on my Tivo HD.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If you mean TiVo Product Lifetime service, it is for the lifetime of the hardware.
You pay the PL service price, you no don't need to pay for the service for that box. PL (or MSD) is not available for pre-discounted retail boxes which must have the $19.95/month service, at least right away.

Under certain circumstances, they may transfer PL service to a replacement box, under a warranty service.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
okay so just to follow up to my previous post...

i have a channel master signal distributor (1 in 4 out) so i thought maybe that was the issue...

Turns out...it was!

I removed the signal amplifier and just plugged the cable straight into the TiVo...then i got all the Canadian channels and strong American networks.

So the TiVo Tuner isn't as bad as originally thought...it just seems to have a real problem with increased noise levels and amplification.

So All is well...still not as sensitive as an LG LCD TV but still fairly good...
Actually, I think you are being a little too fair to the Premiere's OTA tuner saying it's "fairly good". I did a comparison against the 2 TVs I have plus my DTVpal DVR. The premiere is the weakest for both test cases I ran:

- stations at large angles to where the antenna was pointing
- weak stations with the antenna pointing directly at it.

The longer I've had this thing, the more I'm wishing I'd gotten the TiVo HD (series 3) which I understand has a much better OTA tuner.

Illustrative example: I point my antenna mostly at Buffalo and slightly towards Toronto. I pickup CHCH in Hamilton at a large angle to my antenna. The other 3 tuners have no problem with this but the Premier cannot handle it - dropouts/pixilation. To get CHCH clean on the Premier, I need to rotate the antenna towards Hamilton and away from Toronto which then causes Toronto channels to disappear from all the tuners. :-(

321 - 340 of 1443 Posts