Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 320 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Actually, I am using 2 seperate cm 7777 for each azimuth and I am not loosing the 3.5dB.
It is true using separate CM-7777s will prevent you from loosing the 3.5dB, but unless you are swtiching between antennas/pre-amp combos with an A/B switch instead of combining them, you will be adding the noise from the pre-amps, which is just as bad (worse actually since you will be adding the noise on VHF as well).

VHF analog channels from (hi-vhf 10-12 not digital yet) are actually coming in better by going in cm 4221 and being vhf-filtered by uhf port. The filtering is preventing the overload on cm 7777 LNA input. When I use Montreal cm 7777 with common port vhf-uhf, I loose uhf channels (desensitisation from analog lo-hi vhf) and analogue channels hi-vhf 10-12 are to strong and displaying with double images on TV.
Strange. One of the nice things about the CM-7777 is that it has separate amps for VHF and UHF. When you use a combined input, it band separates the signal to the two amps. For separate inputs, it filters out the opposite band before the amps. Either way it has a built in signal combiner after the amps. The only thing that makes sense is that the signal is so strong that the VHF input is acting as an antenna and picking up 10-12. Do you have a 75ohm terminator on the VHF input?

I will certainly try HLSJ VHF Band High-Low Antenna Separator-Combiner.
Just make sure you connect it as a band separator to ensure VHF-LO terminal doesn't act as an antenna and feed signal through to your TV. Either way, best to put a 75 ohm terminator on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tivo Beta program

Just found out that we can apply to participate to Tivo Beta program at the following link:

https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/

It may be interesting if chosen. My understanding is there is an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) if you are chosen for beta testing.

As far as I know, Canadian Tivo users can participate.

As a side note, a new software for the premiere is supposed to be available within a week.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No, I don't have it yet either.

I called TiVo the other day to ask about Netflix being added and thought I would ask about the firmware. The woman I spoke with said I wasn't supposed to have a TiVo Premiere in Canada and that it was not supported.

So much for customer service. She never did answer my questions. She basically just said because I'm in Canada I don't get support. PERIOD. I'm a little ticked with TiVo right now because of this. They didn't mind taking my hard earned money. It may have been a better idea just to pay the monthly subscription fee and not give them the lifetime amount. I do like the PVR, but I do not like the attitude of the person I spoke with the other day and I have put my plans to buy a TiVo Premiere for my bedroom on hold. There may be something else where the customer service meets my expectations much better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That was pretty rude of her. In my dealing with them (about 6 times for the lineup issue), all the CSR new that I had a Premiere and still provided service and ask if there was anything else they could do. Their attitude was pretty courteous. True, I did not ask for Netflix or Youtube:D I believe that Netflix will take a while as their apps seems to be built for the US only. Youtube on the other hand should not be a problem. Don't take the attitude of one CSR as the attitude of the company. Maybe you should call again and re-phrase your question such as "Can we get support for the Tivo HD or Premiere?

On the other hand, they have the same attitude that when they introduced the series 2; "Be happy that you have guide data".

At least they provide guide data for the DTV channels.

Do you know if anyone in Canada that their cable provider officially use the Tivo HD with Cablecard can use the Netflix or Youtube apps?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No, I don't know anyone with a Premiere in Canada personally. I did speak with a few people online when I was looking through the reviews on the product. I spoke with a guy in Alberta who was happy with his.

I'm glad to hear that you've experienced great customer service. I haven't called them much. I think that was my 3rd call in total since I got the machine, but that 3rd call scared me a bit. I spent close to $1,000 for the TiVo when you consider the lifetime guide and the cost of the machine. Then to have them say they won't support it and not answer my questions made me wonder why they took all of my money in the first place. The only thing I had a support person tell me back in May was she was surprised I had a TiVo Premiere. She said they were not allowed in Quebec because they are not bilingual machines. Quebec law frowns upon that. They are only allowed in the rest of Canada. The woman I spoke to recently was clear that the Premiere is not authorized for Canada.

I do believe that there must be support though, or I would not be getting the digital channels in the guide, and the Canadian stations would not be supported. I bought my machine to get rid of the cable and satellite charges. I'm planning to use the TiVo Over-The-Air in combination with Netflix and iTunes. I bought an Apple TV this weekend so I can now watch Netflix and YouTube on my TV using that, and it was MUCH cheaper to purchase too. However, the Apple TV doesn't load the guide or record over the air. So it's a combination of both that gives me the full package at the moment. It's just a shame that the TiVo box (which is capable of playing Netflix and YouTube) does not in Canada.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same story with Microsoft and my Xbox360 - owners in the US are able to stream Netflix through their Xbox, but it is not available in Canada yet. They're saying it will be made available via an update this fall sometime.

Sometimes the content providers change things faster than the hardware providers can...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another Tivo in my house

Now that my antenna setup is working fairly well, I thought I'd grab a Tivo Series 3 HD to go with it. My Series 2 units are both over 5 years old and have given me faithful service through Bell and Rogers, but with only SD, I've been missing the ability to save shows in HD.

Found a storefront on ebay that was selling brand new (not refurbished) Series 3 HD-XL for $250 USD. The HD-XL is exactly the same as the HD unit except with a bigger internal drive. It can save as much as 150 hrs in HD or over 1000 hrs in SD. It also has the eSATA port so you can always hang an external drive off the back to increase capacity if needed.

I decided on getting the S3 since I've read and heard alot of people complaining that the new Premier's tuner isn't as good as the Series3. I've also read that the actual ATSC tuner hardware is the same, just that the Premiere software doesn't work as well.

Anyways, picked it up yesterday in Ogdensburg (40 min drive) and set it up. Scanned in all the channels I was getting using the Sony tuner. Can't really compare the signal meter readings to the TV signal meter, but the WWNY and WNYF signals show a solid 60-70 on the Tivo S3 meter. Most of the local Ottawa channels are from 80-100 on the meter.

Already have guide data for all the channels except for WNPI (PBS) and the WWNY and WNYF channels. I guess I'll have to get Tivo support to add those to my lineup.

One step closer to cutting the cord with Rogers......

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm unable to pick up any of the US signals at my house. I live in Gatineau not too far from the Ottawa River, and not too far from the Champlain Bridge. My antenna is in the attic which may need to be moved outside to the rooftop. I won't bother as it's a lot of work just for a couple of channels.

I noticed today that my TiVo Premiere was upgraded to firmware 14.6. I know others have been getting it for a couple of months, but I've been checking every day lately and it was not on my machine until today. Plus the TiVo "dance through the decades" intro came up when I turned the machine on today so I knew the machine had rebooted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RE: Post #295

anyone in Vancouver having the same problem?

Opened a Tivo ticket and it got solved 3 weeks ago, but still no program lineup info.

update: just finished chat with Tivo, it never got escalated but yet it shows "solved". Will wait another 5-7 days.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If ZapToIt.com shows the same, Open a ticket with them. It may help to accelerate resolution. And, keep bugging Tivo. It took me over 2 months this summer. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
tivo in toronto

I just purchased a tivo premiere on ebay and its on its way...

I've been reading through the thread and I see people are having problems with guides and channel line ups in ottawa, calgary, vancouver...

Question: how is tivo in Toronto area? Is everything working perfectly? Digital + analog lineup is seamless?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. I will definitely try that postal code if mine doesn't work out...
Ill post the results when I get my tivo running...

One question I have for all tivo users...

Is the 600 dollars worth it? (Tivo premiere + lifetime)
I haven't gotten the lifetime yet but because of the immense cost I am still hesitant to go through with it...

The main advantage I see is the tivo scheduler for blackberry/iphone

Any other advantages for tivo over media center or even a bell hd pvr?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The guide in Ottawa is completely fine now. There were some issues a couple of months ago, but TiVo finally got around to remapping the guide and adding CityTV. It does take time when new stations are released to get the guide in sync. You can still record the new channel but it has to be a manual recording. It also doesn't give the ability to select new episodes only, nor will the TiVo be aware that the show was cancelled or moved to a different time slot. Basically not having the guide turns the TiVo into something a tad bit better than a VCR. The guide is very important. It will be interesting to see how much of the guide is up-to-date next September 2011 when everything is supposed to be digital.

·
Registered
12 Posts
so now the next question for TiVo is...

should i go with monthly subscription service or product lifetime?

pros/cons from current users.

(my tivo is on its way here sometime this week)

thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's really up to you and what you can afford right now. If you pay for the lifetime, after 2.5 years you'll be swimming in gravy. This is because paying month to month means a never-ending expense. After 2.5 years you will have paid $399. No doubt after shelling out the money for the TiVo you'll be keeping/using it for more than 2.5 years. The resale value of your TiVo is higher if it has a lifetime subscription on it. So in my opinion, going with lifetime is your best bet.

If you absolutely cannot afford $399 right now or you don't think you will use the machine past 2 years, then monthly charges is your best option.

Once you get the TiVo you can go on the monthly plan and before the 30 days if you switch to lifetime they'll credit you the one month. This gives you a chance to test the machine and ensure your guide is updated to match your area before committing to the $399 price tag.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had tivo's since 2001 and I chose monthly from the get go. I would have gone lifetime on a heartbeat if Tivo would have supported the series 1, 2 or Premiere in Canada (keep in mind that Canadian guide has been available since Sept 2005 and Series 2 since 2007).

When I contacted Tivo in those years, and even today, there are always illusions that something is coming for Canada. Well, I haven't really seen anything yet.

As I have more than 1 Tivo, I have a grandfathered Tivo on the 6.95 MSD (Multi Service Discount) plan. At that rate, it would take 5 years for the lifetime to be paid back.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes that's true. TiVo doesn't seem to appreciate the fact that us Canadians have been purchasing their equipment here. It seems if the cable companies here don't want anything to do wtih TiVo, then TiVo doesn't want anything to do with Canadians. It's unfortunate because most of my TV viewing happens over the air now. Digital OTA is of excellent quality, and it's a great opportunity for TiVo to move into Canada regardless of buy-in by the lousy Canadian cable companies. I use my TiVo daily, and I'm not hooked up to cable at all. I love it, but I am disappointed in the fact that they don't support Netflix Canada, Youtube, or any of the other online services. The only online service they seem to support in Canada is video podcasts. I subscribe to 3 of them and love them.

In October 2012, I will have got my money's worth out of the lifetime subscription. I'm positive I'll be still using the TiVo then. I only bought it in May 2010 and love it so far. I think new firmware updates may "hopefully" speed up the process of viewing the shows too. I find it crawls along sometimes while in the HD menus. The standard menus are very fast. I'm hoping the HD ones will be improved. Maybe they will hire new programmers to optimize whatever the old ones did.

301 - 320 of 1443 Posts