Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm having a weird issue right now with my TiVo. I added a web video a couple of months ago through the online web interface. It downloads the program weekly. I decided I don't want it any longer, but there doesn't appear to be any way to remove web videos.

Does anyone know how? The directions on the TiVo website don't work. I suspect it's because I'm in Canada and the screens they mention are blocked.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In the HD UI, go to "Manage recordings & downloads" => "Download Manager". you should see your show there. Press CLR on your remote then "Yes, Cancel this Season Pass". That should do it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh my God - I've been to that menu so many times and always pressed select which took me back to the main menu. Thanks andrela. I never thought to press clear. I think everything else except clear was pressed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am always in an habit when I seem to be restricted to press any keys or use obscure command (have an Harmony remote) to see if I can get any results. This one I was lucky:p.

I feel that Tivo has restricted us way too much for things we had access in the series 2. This menu is one of them.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes I don't know why YouTube would be restricted. It's ridiculous. I love my TiVo but I am disappointed to have to purchase another device to rent movies or check out YouTube when US TiVo owners can enjoy these things through the same unit. It's really not right. They need to get going in improving service to Canada.

Thanks again for the "Clear" tip. It worked like a charm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How does the guide work?

Hi everyone,

I'm keen onphoned and phoned them to ask a question that was beyond the scope of a call centre agent...

Located in Toronto, I get OTA from Toronto and Buffalo. How does the TiVo guide retrieve the programme guide?

My guess is that the OTA channel broadcasts a unique channel identifier, which TiVo uses to retrieve the guide.

Any insight would be appreciated.
---
Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
How does the TiVo guide retrieve the programme guide?
When you run "guided setup" on the Tivo, you tell the unit your location and that you are setting it up for antenna as a source.

Based on your geographical location, Tivo will know which stations you should receive. Those channels will go into your Tivo guide and the Tivo unit will download the detailed guide info during its' daily call home.

As some have pointed out, which channels Tivo thinks you can receive isn't always 100% accurate, but Tivo support seems willing to work with customers to add missing channels.

Enjoy your Tivo...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
TiVo Software

Just wondering how many people out there are using computer software in conjunction with your TiVo? Not much mentioned on the forum about this.

I've just set up my new PC with the following and I'm really impressed with what I can do with it:

- kmttg This will move recordings from your TiVo to your PC. I use this to convert recordings into "movies" for my iPod touch in 1 step.
- pyTivo This will move recordings from your PC to your TiVo. I don't use this much but I've played with it to use Tivo as a player for home movies
- TiVo Desktop This is TiVo's software to move recordings from your TiVo to your PC. Unfortunately (for some) it moves it as a ".tivo" file which not very many PC apps can handle. One that does is VideoReDo. I've been able to get it to take a ".tivo" file and save it as a mpg file (1920x1080 with 5.1 audio) that plays on my WDTV Live connected to another HDTV! :cool: VideoRedo will also allow you strip commercials or select clips.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've been using the TiVo Desktop since Feb 2009.

I did a couple of DVD's with the other open source software that convert the .tivo into mpeg4.

Great stuff but the auto commercial skip is not 100% precise.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Something seems wrong with my TiVo tonight. I've rebooted it twice now. What's happening is everytime I select a recorded show to play, the TiVo hangs for 30 seconds. Then I get an error, "Not Connected. This feature requires a connection." It got so bad I had to switch back to SD mode menu in order to watch my shows. There's nothing wrong with my Internet connection. I have voip and it's working, my computer works. I checked the PS3, no trouble. It's just the TiVo Premiere claiming to lose connection. Maybe there is server trouble on the TiVo side?

I checked the website and couldn't find anything about trouble, but I did see that the latest firmware is 14.6. I'm still at 14.5 and there's no evidence that it's pending an upgrade. I even did the "Connect to the TiVo Service now" 4 times which is supposed to prompt the upgrade, but I'm still at 14.5.

Has anyone been having issues with the connection?

Does anyone have 14.6?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Happened to me before. Tivo has a hard time when something goes wrong with the internet connection. If you press play from the "now playing" menu, it will be Ok and usually start fast.

As for checking with the computer, I found at that time that about 50% of my web page were loading. I guess it was a problem with shaw subnet or another server cluster somewhere.

14.6 is out to a few select. Don't have yet.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm with Videotron for Internet. I've been with them for many years and never an issue with the net. My speed tests show 31 MBPS down and 1.03 MBPS up. I have plenty of speed. For whatever reason the top banner stuff would not load. I know the Internet connection was fine. I never had such trouble before.

Thanks for the tip about pressing play. I'll try that tonight if it continues.

One of the bugs I hope they fix in 14.6 is the "Keep Until I Delete" bug in the HD menu. It often does nothing. The dot stays blue. Going to the old menu and issuing the command always works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Poor performance of the TiVo Premiere

I got a TiVo Premiere 3 weeks ago to get an ATSC receiver with HDMI to my old TV and I have been struggeling with poor performance of the TiVo Premiere ATSC receiver. All other feature of the box with the 10$ monthly fee are ok.

Me and antenna installer did optimize 8-bay antenna (UHF) and yagi (hi-VHF ABC-22) along with pre-amp cm-7777 (vhf-uhf port) to get all possible channels above 75% using zenith and channel master ATSC receivers (ATSC receivers converting to analog).

After getting my TiVo Premiere box setup, I was very dissapointed with the poor reception of the TiVo Premiere ATSC reception. I did loose more than 50% of my channel list and levels are low on available channels. This was confirmed by switching back and forth between TiVo Premiere and my cheap Zenith box (ATSC receiver converter to analog).

The only way to recover a bit of my channel list was to remove hi-vhf channels (ABC 22) and terminate cm-7777 vhf port. Strong analog VHF signal coming from Mont Royal to the back of antenna pointing to US was affecting reception.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The only way to recover a bit of my channel list was to remove hi-vhf channels (ABC 22) and terminate cm-7777 vhf port. Strong analog VHF signal coming from Mont Royal to the back of antenna pointing to US was affecting reception.
Sounds to me like issues with the AGC of the TIVO getting saturated. There are likely better ways of dealing with the issue. What antenna are you using for VHF?

·
Registered
35 Posts
42-1 (CHNMDT vs CHNM-DT) - Vancouver

I'm running a HD series 3, when I do a channel scan I see two 42-1 channels.
On channel strength I get nothing on CHNMDT but a full 100% on CHNM-DT.

Tivo screen says:

42-1 - CHNMDT; digital freq 42 Canadian Independent

42-1 - CHNM-DT; digital freq 42 OMNI BC

My problem is that the guide is available on CHNMDT which I can't see. But CHNM-DT (with signal ~ 100%) shows program name as "To be announced" and "no info avail"

Same thing if I enter either a zipcode or postal code.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Tivo Guide does not align with the remap. fill a lineup change request at:
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/contactsupport/lineup_tool.html

Explain very very clearly what the issue is and when they ask you about the name of the cable or satellite provider, make sure that you say "Over the air". Be patient. You may have to call them a couple of times if not resolved within a few weeks.

I presume that the one that Tivo says "To be announced" was scanned (asterisk when you setup your channel you receive) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds to me like issues with the AGC of the TIVO getting saturated. There are likely better ways of dealing with the issue. What antenna are you using for VHF?
Yes, I think TiVo Premiere might have limit on AGC receiver and it is a poor OTA ATSC receiver-demodulator.

My setup is in the attic. My hi-vhf antenna is yaggi Wineguards YA-1317 towards US (ABC 22) and it is connected on pre-amp cm7777 vhf port. For UHF port of cm7777, I use 2 CM4221 back to back (one towards Montreal and other towards US). Mont-Royal analogue VHF channels are coming in the back of vhf antenna very strong (front-to-back is about 15dB on this antenna). I did pad cm7777 vhf port by 6dB and my Zenith ATSC receiver is receiving all available channel list locally above 75% (VHF-UHF analogue+HD and the most difficult one ABC22 on channel 13 vhf at 75% and above).

With above setup TiVo Premiere was cutting my full list (Zenith receiver) by more than 50%. If I disconnect ya-1317 and leave cm7777 vhf port terminated, TiVo Premiere performs a bit better but many HD channels were below 35% (Zenith Receiver has the full list at 75%+ minus ABC22 with this setup).

I am getting a TiVo HD series3 because I like features on TiVo and I did see many threads indicating ATSC receiver-demodulator hardware change from TiVo series3 HD to TiVo series4 Premiere. Based on those threads, many users are indicating significant reduction in signal levels and available channels after upgrading from TiVo series3 to series4.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I use 2 CM4221 back to back (one towards Montreal and other towards US).
Getting off topic I know, but if they are truly back to back (180 degrees apart), why not use one antenna with reflector removed? Combining two UHF antennas will result in about 3.5dB signal loss and removing the reflector will reduce the signal by less than 3dB.

I did pad cm7777 vhf port by 6dB
You might want to try using a CM-7778 instead. It only has 3dB less gain on UHF but 7dB less gain for VHF. Alternately use separate pre-amps for VHF and UHF so that you can attenuate the signal after the pre-amp but before the combiner (better than before the pre-amp). Do you have the FM trap in? You may also want to use an HLSJ to filter out VHF-LO to make sure that isn't causing any problems (are CBC and SRC watchable in analog?).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting off topic I know, but if they are truly back to back (180 degrees apart), why not use one antenna with reflector removed? Combining two UHF antennas will result in about 3.5dB signal loss and removing the reflector will reduce the signal by less than 3dB.

You might want to try using a CM-7778 instead. It only has 3dB less gain on UHF but 7dB less gain for VHF. Alternately use separate pre-amps for VHF and UHF so that you can attenuate the signal after the pre-amp but before the combiner (better than before the pre-amp). Do you have the FM trap in? You may also want to use an HLSJ to filter out VHF-LO to make sure that isn't causing any problems (are CBC and SRC watchable in analog?).
They are not exactly back to back and as such, I would loose weak channels with a single antenna.

cm 4221 at 10 deg to Montreal is needed for weak CFJP and and CIVM (weak virtual Montreal channels 35-17, strong virtual Montreal channels 2-6 and weak virtual channel US 57 from back of antenna 195 deg). cm 4221 at 150 deg to US (3-5-33-44 uhf antenna and 22 vhf antenna). Actually, I am using 2 seperate cm 7777 for each azimuth and I am not loosing the 3.5dB. The vhf port is terminated for antenna setup towards Montreal.

Yeah, you are right about cm 7778 vs 7777 but I have already the cm 7777 hardware and don't want to spend another 100$. You are also right about padding after is a better option for Noise Figure but again, I was trying not to spend to much and use what was available to me. FM trap is ON on both cm 7777.

VHF analog channels from (hi-vhf 10-12 not digital yet) are actually coming in better by going in cm 4221 and being vhf-filtered by uhf port. The filtering is preventing the overload on cm 7777 LNA input. When I use Montreal cm 7777 with common port vhf-uhf, I loose uhf channels (desensitisation from analog lo-hi vhf) and analogue channels hi-vhf 10-12 are to strong and displaying with double images on TV.

When they put all the digital on Mont-Royal, I will probably remove my setup towards Montreal because digital will be stronger on Mont-Royal and it will be catched by the back of US antenna LNA. I am 10Km from Mont-Royal.

I will certainly try HLSJ VHF Band High-Low Antenna Separator-Combiner. Thanks, I did not know about this cheap option to filter out lo-vhf.

281 - 300 of 1443 Posts