Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks Stampeder.

I just can't wait for ALL channels to go digital. That will make my TiVo all the more worth it.

I haven't seen anything new recently on the other forum topics regarding CTV or Global. I guess they really are waiting until the last minute.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I haven't seen anything new recently on the other forum topics regarding CTV or Global. I guess they really are waiting until the last minute.
We already know for certain that CTV is waiting until the last minute in Ottawa (and a bunch of other cities), since they have indicated this in an application to the CRTC. Global hasn't said anything about Ottawa yet, but they and all the other Ottawa stations will have to put their cards on the table by the end of August, which the CRTC has set as a deadline for submitting transition plans in the largest markets.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yea that post finally allows me to understand the purpose of the remapping. It's so stations can keep their original station during the transition. For the life of me I couldn't figure out previously why they would do that.

I'm glad TiVo is now using the digital remapped channels in their guide. Considering the frequency can be divided into more than one telecast it makes sense to stick to the remapped channel instead of the RF.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Update to Post 249

I tried the link from post 249 of this thread and it worked!! :cool:

It took 2 weeks but my Toronto postal code now has all the Toronto/Hamilton/Buffalo (and area) digital OTA stations plus the one that remains analog only (which I prefer not to name - my way of protesting :p).

Take a look at M8Z3M1 either on your TiVo or on zap2it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've been using the old menus in my TiVo Premiere. I cannot use the new menus because they are tremendously slow. I really hope TiVo works on getting this fixed. When I called them, they blamed it on my Internet connection. Yet I am using 30Mbps download speed. So I don't believe that for a second. I don't have any speed issues with my Internet connection. The PS3 loads fast, voip works flawlessly, my computer downloads fast. Their latest update seemed to speed the TiVo up a bit, but the more I used it, the slower it would go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am usually on SD also due to speed and the green ring of slowness of HD menu.
I take it that you got 14.5? I have not gotten it yet and do not expect that this version will have a wide release. If tivo has not released it after a month, something else is happening such as a big debate on the beta forum that it is not enough. There are 2 immediate improvements important to me at this time:

1. OTA signal strength getting on par with the S3, and
2. correction of the high pitch noise on some of the analog channels.

Next would be HD menus all the way and speed.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No I'm on version 14.4. I didn't realize there was a 14.5 version out.

My signal strength is ok. I never owned a TiVo before so I cannot compare it. The strength is lower than the signal I was getting on the Bell 9242 however. I figured it was just a difference in the way TiVo was measuring signal strength.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
New Versions When Tivo Releases Them

FunkyTown said:
No I'm on version 14.4. I didn't realize there was a 14.5 version out.
That's a good point:

For all of you Tivo users, please post the new version numbers here when Tivo releases new updates. :) We would also welcome any technical info you might have about the newest version, as well as any differences, improvements, or glitches seen after installation.

cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tivo Limited Software Release

Version 14.5k1 has been on a limited release since July 12th. This is usually the way Tivo release their new software to evaluate if any impact exist or to get a "pulse" outside their Beta forum. Usually they turn on the big switch within 10 days which has not been done yet.

Seems to have corrected the following issues:

- Faster HD UI. Some users have reported very noticeable increase.
- Better OTA. the RS UNcorrected is way better.

There are no new HD screens, functionality or other noticeable improvements.

Still haven't heard anything if Tivo will offer the Netflix Canada service on their HD boxes when available in the fall.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would be interested in Netflix since I'm getting rid of my satellite next fall.

Thanks for the update. There's was a slight speed improvement with 14.4 but it definitely needs more work. I'm looking forward to these changes. Hopefully bugs won't be introduced.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tivo version 14.5 officially released

Version 14.5 has been officially released tonight. You Tivo Premiere should update on your next call and do the update at 2 AM. If you do not want to wait, make Tivo call home then wait to see "Pending Restart" in the call status. One you have this message, restart your Tivo.

I have seen a remarkable increase in the HD menu while browsing the "Now Playing" list. No more green circle!

Did not see any increase in the OTA signal strength or any other improvements.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I got the 14.5 update today. It is a bit faster, but still much slower than the SD speed. There seems to be a lot of waiting, and it's sporadic. Sometimes it's reasonably quick while the next time it's dreadfully slow.

I am happy it's a bit faster. It's certainly a step in the right direction. I may go back to the SD menus again though. The speed greatly detracts from the GUI HD interface with it's bells and whistles that should be strictly background tasks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am happy to see the speed in the now playing however I am a little annoyed that they have not moved the HDUI further. They have made very little changes such as the HD "upcoming shows" screen and one or two more screens. No new HD screens, just adjustments. Like you, I did not see any speed improvement anywhere else. I thought we would have been treated to more goodies.

I am in HD at this time but may also go back to SD. Just prefer the HD search function over the SD.

Oh well, maybe in the next update in 2-3 months.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I hope it will be before 15.0 at the speed they update! unless the next one is 15.0:p

I think they may have introduce some bugs in the last update. Bugs I have not seen since I got my Premiere;

1. Gave me a "this show has no signal and has not been recorded" when I selected a recorded show. Got out of that screen and selected play again and it played flawlessly.

2. A couple of time, while using the 30 second skip, twice I could not go over 30 sec and got the bong noise on my keypress.

3. Using the 30 second skip, got at the end of the buffer when I was at the beginning.

4. Using the 30 second skip, did not get any skip time display and kept going.

Installed my new antenna today (CM4221HD). Did the mods minus the cutting back. My signal improved dramatically. Went from 30 (unwatchable) to near 70 on the Tivo. Very Happy. Many thanks to Stampeder and his antenna chart.

I am going to cancel most of my cable service, keeping the basic only.

As for Netflix, I do not have the details. Do you have any ?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have not noticed any bugs. They seemed to fix one of the bugs. I used to have an issue where I would change my show to "Keep Until I Delete". However, the new GUI HD menu would often keep the dot as blue, when it should have turned to green. I'd have to switch to the SD version to change the KEEP UNTIL...

With this latest update, the KEEP UNTIL... is now working on the HD GUI. So that's nice. I'm now using the HD version more than ever before, but find it still sluggish.

I know that Netflix is supposed to be coming to Canada in the fall. I don't have any info whether TiVo will open the door to Canadians on Netflix. They might. I just was thinking that it might be a great idea to bug Netflix about getting TiVo to offer it. That might be the best route to take.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Anyone how what exactly Netflix is blocked? My guess is that it's not netflix-specific. For instance, I can't get Canadian video podcasts in the podcaster, but I can get audio podcasts from anywhere.

Perhaps all video over the internet is restricted to the US only?? I'd be interested so see if American could access Canadian video podcasts. :confused:

The only bugs I've noticed on 14.5 is when I switch channels from say a 480i channel to a 1080i channel (or vice versa), the banner page retains the previous channel's value. Pressing info again fixes it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As far as I know, they block the services by country. I haven't tried to use a zipcode and see if it will go through. Otherwise it would be with IP then trying to use a Canadian credit card to pay for the service.

As for the podcast videos, I can download video podcast and Music Choice videos. It works. I think that the music choice is a "bug"

I did not see the bug you describe. Maybe because I am using 1080i as a fixed source. I hated the TV changing video format going to the different menus and live tv.

261 - 280 of 1443 Posts