Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well done Zork! Thanks for the detailed post.

And I couldn't agree more. If anyone from Cogeco is reading this thread, please consider getting more open allowing Tivo onto your system. A better user experience can only benefit your business and it doesn't seem like it's a major support issue.

Zork, could you let us know which Tivo (Series 3, Premiere, etc) you purchased and if you don't mind, the general area you are in. Perhaps the customer service experience may differ for some depending on where they are located.

I'm thinking of picking up a Series 3 on eBay to give this a try.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The model is literally called 'TiVo HD'
I would avoid Series 3 because *as I understand it* the Series 3 isn't capable of reading "multi" stream cards -- which means that you need to purchase (and activate) two cards to get the dual tuner working.
The TiVo premier was on average a fair amount more expensive, although not massively so.
The HD is model TCD652160

I'm not too far away from Kingston, but I think you always talk to the people in Burlington when you call... That's who I spoke with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ceton infinitv4

sorry for the late reply...

Haven't been able to get this going properly, however it seems someone else has on this forum!

I hope to get back to it possibly this weekend and will post my results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cogeco and cable cards

to get a tivo to function properly i purchase 1 that takes a cable card buy a card from e bay put it in the tivo connect the cable to it then get cogeco to activate the cable card without them knowing it is a cable card ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about Switched Digital Video?

Does anyone on this forum know if Switched Digital Video is a concern or problem yet? I am thinking of making the jump to TIVO just outside of Kingston (Napanee) and was told we (by Cogeco) have SDV here.

So I don't want to buy a TIVO to only be disappointed.
And the big 'if', what 'if' Cogeco could
And can Cogeco support a SDV adapter like the Motorola MTR700?

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
If you take the time to read item 5 of post 9, you'll see that some newer cards are two way. Standard (original) CableCARDs were one-way. Yes, once everything is digital, there will be little need for home visits except for installations or problems that cannot be resolved by using the communication tools available. Nevertheless they will never be zero.

This thread is specifically about making CableCARD work with Cogeco. Future posts not on that topic will be deleted. There are other general threads on CableCARD and Tru2Way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else tried activating a CableCARD in the last few weeks? I've made 3 attempts and can't seem to get them to even try to send a signal.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried this morning twice, first time the girl accept to give it a try but she never received a confirmation from the card so she deleted the SN from my accout leaving me with only the channel list and some channel unencrypted working. Second time, the guy ask me if it's a cablecard and refused to activate it saying that cogeco don't support it ;( I'll try again tomorrow and hope it will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The second person sounds like the first person I talked to. He was very abrupt and wanted to know details of where I purchased it, etc. He made it sound like I was trying to do something illegal. The next rep I talked to mentioned there was a note on my file the next time I called, explaining the SN was a cablecard and was not supported.

I've called about 5 times since then ( I bought a dct6200 and needed that many calls to get it working - so I asked them at the end of each call about activating the SN) with no luck. They were however, much more polite than the first guy. They would pass me on to their colleague to enter the Serial number, but that second person always seemed to recognize it as a cablecard and tell me they could not add it to the system.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I was really encouraged when I found this thread, but after reading the last few posts not so much. Was really hoping to get CableCard working with a Ceton InfinitV or HDHomeRun Prime but now I don't know if I want to waste my time trying. I guess this is what Cogeco wants, sigh.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts