Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I like that it has the ability to fetch shows across different subscriptions and sources and combine them into one access point. This is useful when different seasons are offered by different platforms, an increasingly prevalent situation with many popular shows.

Personally, I won't consider it unless it's compatible with ATSC 3.0. And I don't care for the high cost or the monthly fee.

Hopefully some of the hardware issues that are well known and that I've experienced are ironed out: Noisy/malfunctioning cooling fans, etc.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
The OTA version might be useful in the GTA, provided suitable guide information is available. I didn't see a lot of details in the article as to what services are supported. I doubt it will ever be useful in most of Canada. It's time the TV industry adopted standards so that third party equipment could access IPTV and OTT services reliably.

I would never buy one of these. The cost of the box plus subscription is too high. The biggest market for a device such as this is people who are trying to cut costs. Being forced to both buy the box and pay what amounts to a rental will drive those people away. TiVo also missed the mark by not making a single box that supports cable, IPTV, OTT and OTA. That might make it really useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts