1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
I thought my paper clip was the smallest television in the world. It only gets two channels but, heck, small is small. As to this new antenna, I'll believe it when I see it work.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
The University of Morelos seems to be doing a lot of interesting work with antennas for a variety of bands and purposes like WiFi, GPS, TV, etc. and a patent for this TV antenna is mentioned in the first post's link. I think this document is the research paper for that antenna:

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/26730.pdf

If anyone can confirm/deny whether that's the correct document for this new design, please do.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
We need more inovation like this in OTA TV. The ugly factor of antennas is a major hinderance to adoption.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
If anyone can confirm/deny whether that's the correct document for this new design, please do.
That looks like the right document for the prototype. At first I thought it would be a dielectric antenna and then I thought it would be a fractal design, but it is a dual-band patch antenna. A comment by someone else said "It sounds like a layered, fractal wave guide antenna." Comment at end:
This Tiny 4-Inch TV Aerial Weighs 3oz But Picks Up Channels Perfectly

This is the inventor holding her antenna:
Dra. Margarita Tecpoyotl Torres UAEM

but I couldn't find the patent.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wonder if something like this could have DX potential. Does it scale? If it performs well at 4 inches, would a large tile be even more sensitive?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
There's your answer, folcan99. It is purely a university-level research project at this point. If we can find the patent we might be able to dig into how that lattice is configured.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Regardless of size, an antenna must obey the laws of physics. While small antennas are possible, they come at the cost of lower gain. While this can be compensated for to some extent with amplifiers, those bring other issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts