Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is going on with the Eastlink upgrade to HDTV in Timmins? Originally it was suppose to be completed in the summer. Now its the fall and we are almost into November. Anytime you ask them for info they say we don't know when it will be done. Have they hit a major snag somewhere that is causing the delay?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well, they are in my neighbourhood (behind Porcupine Mall) and I believe this is the last place that needs work to be done. I spoke with a Rep selling Phone & Internet in downtown Timmins 2 weeks ago and he said that HD is guaranteed for Christmas this year. I had to call them tonight.. Channels 49 to 70 look like they come from 200 miles away and all digital is out. This has been off and on for 3 days now, not sure if it related to the work being done. The person on the phone said "Hopefully soon." Anyone know Eastlink's definition of "soon"?:rolleyes:

They probably don't want to give anything concrete as for dates because they don't want people screaming at them saying "You said this date!" if something goes wrong. But, I agree that it would be nice to hear something officially. I'll be posting it here for sure when I find out anything.;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The technicien that came to my home to install Easlink phone service said that november 15 2010 Hdtv and more digital channel will be added.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well, that is surprising to hear since about 4 streets haven't been touched in my area yet but hey I don't work there. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be complaining!;)

If he gave an actual date, it could be promising.:)

How is their phone service? We are thinking of switching over phone and internet when my contract with the phone company is over next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on my street

I have not seen eastlink on my street. However, I am usually not home during the day. I live on a small side street off of Mountjoy. Do they connect you from Mountjoy or do they have to change the cable lines street by street. How do you know if its been done?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mountjoy is done just call Easlink to make sure your street is connect though and the only place that is not done is South Porcupine!!!
All fiber optic line are in place street by street and all they need to do is to change them over. Monutjoy must be done because I live on Elm street and just made the switch last week.

Phone is great and has a better price compaire to Northerntel.
Internet with northerntel its max speed of download is 300 to 400 Kbps.
Eastlink I get over 1300Kbps of download and my internet in 3 years only went down a few times.
Eastlink internet bandwidth doesn't go up and down like dsl, it is much more stable.

Be patience HDTV will be here and many more digital channels.

They will be par to Satillite tv very soon.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The internet speed is something that is making me wish I could switch now.;)

Can anyone see Channel 202. HBO West? It was added a few days ago but I just get the "One Moment Please" message when I try to tune into it. Also I noticed that our PBS channel on 19 is now from Buffalo (WNED). I wonder if our Fox affiliate will be changing to WJBK Detroit like New Liskeard and Sudbury.

Lots of little things happening. Things are on the move, hopefuly soon more channels will be moving since HD will more than likely be in the 600s and 700s like everywhere else.:)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just noticed that all our analog channels (2 to 70) are now being sent digitally through the network.:) Some don't look any different and some have improved when it comes to PQ.

I tweeted Eastlink and they are now aware of the HBO West issue on 202.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HBO west is still not work here either.
They will be adding many new SD channel also HD this month.
I cant wait to have AMC I do miss this movie channel.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HBO West now working.:)

Having some signal issues on channels 70 & 501 so far. Since it is now digital, it turns out they are on the same physical channel (ch75) according to my TV tuner on my PC. AMC is on and it has been since it launched everywhere else ;) however, they haven't pushed it to the DCT's guide so we can actually tune it in. I can see it in clear QAM. It unfortunately is located on physical channel 78. The picture breaks up every 5 seconds or so.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Turns out the digital mapping of the analogs is off since its all back to analog. I knew I shouldn't have spoken so fast....:p

Must have just been a temporary test.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Is anyone else seeing these digital "hiccups" on all the analog stations, like coloured blocks and slight picture freezing? It is really noticeable on CTV. I'm assuming they are all the channels from 2 to 70 except are being processed digitally and then converted to analog before being sent out through the system. Kind of miss the full digital.

Starting to get a bit impatient about the addition of more SD channels, launch of HD and OnDemand.;) For two months now, my online bill's "in the know" section talks about the greatness of ondemand and says to call them to learn how it works.:confused: I've been tempted to call and act all innocent then go WHAT?!? when they tell me we don't have it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Until the company itself announces something, or more likely in Eastlink's case they just add it quietly, no one knows for sure what is happening. It's unfortunate but seems to be true.:( I just called them now and got the same info as last time but the CSR talked about how phone needs to be rolled out to all the areas first. I got the impression that it could be months.:mad: This company really needs to say something concrete soon.........

Winters1...
When was that tech at your place putting in the phone service?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
frustration

It seems very strange that a technician would be that specific. Someone gave him that date. No reason for a technician to lie about it. Maybe Eastlink simply gives false information to its technicians etc... to try and keep people from bolting. I am considering giving up and switching to bell. If not for the pain in the rear that comes with switching over I would have done it already. But at some point, and that point is coming fast, I am going to cancel my cable.

Eastlink still acts like cable is your only option. I would be disappointed if they came out and said, "we hit some snags, its going to be a few months etc..." but at least I would know and would appreciate there honesty. They don't appear to respect their customers. I don't mean the reps, technicians, etc...I mean management.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree about them just coming out and saying we hit some snags. I know from past experiences that the CSRs are probably the second last people to know anything with the customer being the last.;)

Just to clarify, they never said "months" but that was how I felt after it was said.

About the specific date, you have a totally valid point. I'm wondering if the tech said that date a few months ago meaning that they were aiming for that date but maybe they did hit some snags since then. I know the contractors are in and out of my neighbourhood. They seem to be jumping all over the place.:eek:

I've been receiving pixellation issues since the launch of Sportsnet One on 501. Every other channel that my DCT can tune is fine. Anyone else getting this issue or is simply a weak signal in the 500Mhz+ range on my street. I'm hesitant to call because I have to have someone home, etc. just to find out that certain pieces of equipment haven't been replaced yet on my street causing the issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Tech came to my home on october 29 2010.

W just need to be patient that all i have to see. I give them a year if there Picture Quality doesnt improve I will be going back to Bell TV. Till then i am sitting back and waiting.

Something i dont undstand is why dont we have AMC yet that make no sense eveywere else has it but us.

Dont get why Eastlink does not have Teletoon Retro i mean every cable sat provider has it..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Wow. That might have been the planned date (as in Nov. 15.) who knows.

From what I see in my TV Tuner software, AMC is on physical channel 78 and the signal monitor shows it being in the fair to poor range in signal strength. With some non-upgraded equipment still in service, the frequencies that are being used are just too high in the spectrum for everyone to see clearly at this time. However, they "could" have put AMC somewhere else I'm sure.. My tuner can get 180 channels from ch.53 to ch.80, skipping over the analogs (58 & 67-70) Only a few are in the clear, the vast majority of them are encrypted. Sportsnet One is on Ch.75 but we tune it in on 501 and its picture pixelates every few seconds. AMC on 78 does the same thing. We don't have 180 video channels in digital form even if you add the digital versions of the analogs in so why not move something else?

There are still areas that are not done being upgraded yet - I know because I live in one of them...err...actually the only one from what I have heard by someone that I've dealt with at work who spoke to the crew working this week on this end of town. It wouldn't be fair to launch a large pile of new services and parts of the city just get pixellated video and broken sound. I know I'd be ticked off. Cannot understand the planning...why did they wait so late into November to do underground work. Nice new layer of snow to dig through....

I think you'll be staying with Eastlink. If it takes another year, I'll switch too.:cool: I'm thinking maybe....just maybe December 31st. (Total guess, well really was the date that guy heard from the crew member.) Oh yeah, I'm talking Dec. 31, 2010 too. *L* I can handle the wait until then, then I'll nag them if I have too.;)

As for Eastlink not having Teletoon Retro anywhere? I AGREE! What gives????:confused:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Teletoon Retro

I tweeted them asking if Eastlink has any plans to acquire Teletoon Retro?

Their answer........ Yes.:) No ETA of course, but better than the "We're looking into it." or the "I'll forward that to..." answer that is usually given.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts