Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again we have seen an American tennis player throw a disgusting tantrum on the tennis court, insulting and denigrating line officials, and, of course, getting away with it. Once again that tennis player is the boorish and ridiculously overrated Andy Roddick.

But what bothered me almost as much as the spineless umpire allowing this tirade without punishment was the reaction of the ESPN commentators - John and Patrick McEnroe. Instead of condemning Roddick, both brothers sat chuckling as Roddick humiliated an official in a packed stadium and on live TV. John even brought back bad memories of his own boorishness by suggesting that Roddick's behaviour could even be a good strategy! Classy. The same thing happened at last year's US Open when Serena Williams threatened violence against an official. Several ESPN commentators, all Americans (along with the long time Williams sisters fanboy Tom Tebbutt of the Globe & Mail) downplayed the outburst and made excuses for Serena.

We know ESPN won't change so I'd like to see TSN pick up the international feed or Eurosport's English language coverage. It would also mean no bottom line ticker and instead of fluff interviews with non-tennis ESPN 'personalities' Hannah Storm and Mike Tirico in the middle of matches we'd get more live tennis.

Odds of it happening are slim to none, but I'm glad I got it off my chest.:mad:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Andrew1. I still find a few of the commentators, especially Carillo and Drysdale, provide balanced and relatively unbiased commentary, but when you've got a flag-waving, chest-beating type like Brad Gilbert in the booth, you know the network can't be focused on impartiality.

It extends as well to which matches we get to see as well. If an American is playing, we'll be watching that live, regardless of the entertainment value / competitiveness.

I'd love for them to pick up a BBC or an Australian feed, presuming that it was in HD anyway. Probably way too expensive for TSN though.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't mind the McEnroe brothers, at least when they aren't covering Americans. Brad Gilbert is the most annoying tennis commentator I've ever heard.

Most of the play by plays in tennis aren't bad, Drysdale, Dick Enberg, Chris Fowler and Ted Robinson are all good. Its the analysts that get me, especially Gilbert and Pam Shriver.

For anyone who missed it, yesterday Shriver asked a Canadian (can't remember her name right now) who was about to play Venus Williams this question, "Its close to 100 degrees out there, I bet it never gets this warm in Canada?" The Canadian, who lives in Montreal where it was also close to 100 yesterday, just nervously laughed and said "yeah" or something to that effect. Now Shriver must have played in Montreal or Toronto at some point in her career, or at least covered one of the events for ESPN. It was simply ignorant on her part to say what she said.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More of the same with James Blake and the same weak umpire. The ESPN commentator (I didn't catch his name) just said you have to credit Andy for not blaming the foot fault for his loss! At least he and Patrick admitted Andy deserved a warning.

verd:
I'd love for them to pick up a BBC or an Australian feed, presuming that it was in HD anyway. Probably way too expensive for TSN though.
I thought ESPN would be more expensive than the international feed. Unless things have changed the BBC doesn't cover the US Open. I think Sky and Eurosport share it over there but even they would be a nice change. I liked at grand slams earlier in the year where we got a mixture: ESPN and NBC some days and international feed on others.

NBJosh:
"Its close to 100 degrees out there, I bet it never gets this warm in Canada?"
:eek:

I joined the match a couple of games into it so I missed that. Shriver tries to play the funny lady as well. Sometimes it works but usually it doesn't.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sadchel, thanks for the link. As one of the posters there pointed out Patrick has depended on Roddick as Davis Cup captain. I'd forgotten about that conflict of interest.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It doesn't cost TSN anything to get the ESPN2 feed. ESPN owns a stake in TSN and TSN pulls in ESPN2 on satellite at all times anyway. In order to get the BBC feed TSN would have to buy satellite time to bring the BBC feed over.

TSN will be using the international feed on Saturday and Sunday night because Tennis Channel will have coverage in the US (ESPN2 has college football and Sunday Night Baseball). Basically TSN uses ESPN2 for the US, Australian and Wimbledon because ESPN2 are the primary rightsholder and they have live coverage most of, if not all day. However, for the French Tennis Channel is the primary rightsholder, so they have live coverage from 5am-noon ET, while ESPN2 takes over from noon-6 with some live coverage, but mostly taped coverage.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of the Tennis Channel which has been around for a while now I wonder why I've never heard anything about us getting that north of the border. We get Speed Channel and I'm guessing the Golf Channel is also American so why not The Tennis Channel? It would be handy for all the European tournaments we don't get much coverage of. Admittedly, ratings wouldn't be very high in Canada for such a channel.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It would be a great addition. TSN's coverage of the Masters Series is not great, so if the Tennis Channel could air their coverage too, it would be a welcome addition. Same for WTA events, which outside of the Rogers Cup we don't get any. Of course the 3 Grand Slams that they air would probably be blacked out.

My guess is that we get Speed and Golf because they have been around for a while. Tennis Channel is still relatively new. It would be a welcome addition in my books though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was laughing at Roddick too.

Not at what he was saying, but the way he was acting, so focused and professional, NOT. Its amazing, how that one call affected him for the next 20 minutes, if not the rest of the match. Like let it go buddy. I didn't care if he won or lost before that happened but I sure wanted him to lose after watching his behaviour afterwards.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's another problem with not having our own coverage. The Canadian Polansky is in the fifth set against American James Blake. ESPN chose to leave that match to go to superstar/celebrity Maria Sharapova. The fact that they'd leave a Blake match indicates how much he has declined but still even though he's American Sharapova gets priority.

Edit: I meant the fourth set.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, spoke too soon. They've now gone to the Blake-Polansky match. I guess it helps that the women's match looks one-sided.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're getting Tennis Channel coverage on TSN right now. Bill Macatee with Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova. I've never heard Connors as a commentator. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
This is only the 3rd time I can ever remember TSN using Tennis Channel coverage. The other two were the 2010 Australian Open men's doubles final and an exhibition match between Federer and Sampras at MSG a couple years ago.

I wish they would start using it for ATP Masters events too.

·
Registered
945 Posts
They started ticker free, but now its back.

Does Tennis channel normally run one? (I would wager not). so why is tsn ruining it. :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same thing happened today. Tennis Channel had some ticker as well but I don't think it was permanent. At least TSN2 showed all the Murray v Wawrinka match instead of going to Sportscentre at scheduled.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I dont get this ESPN/ESPN2 coverage

Theyre showing Warinka/Youzhny, then after the 2nd set tie break, then go do a 10 minute montage on Nadal and skip the beginning of the 3rd set? Missed the entire first game.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They do that all the time. My take on it is that they feel that there are a lot of tennis fans for whom part of the attraction of the sport is the personalities. To me, it's a real irritant when they do an 8 minute thing about Venus' new clothing line or whatever, when I know that there are live matches going on. Another reason the British and Australian broadcasters are much better for pure sports fans.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TSN has penciled in the men's final for 4pm to 7pm on Monday before it goes to NFL Countdown. I assume they can join that in progress unlike the actual Monday night game which, contractually, they are probably bound to show live. So if the men's final goes on really long or has more weather delays they'll probably switch it to TSN2 where they scheduled to show poker, Border Battle 9 Ball Challenge, and a replay of the world junior hockey final.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts