Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a heads up for those watching Thursday Night Football, we're 45 minutes into the broadcast and it hasn't been blacked out on NFL Network HD (channel 549). Kinda funny since Rogers has the Canadian rights. Certainly a bonus since you don't have to worry about Sportsnet coming back late from commercials. I hope this lasts.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Alternate programming begins airing at 9:00 pm, albeit an hour late.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Someone fell asleep at the switch. I also find it odd that I can no longer recieve BIG 10 in SD as it is not authorized, but BIG 10 HD is working, go figure

·
Registered
455 Posts
They can't simsub Sportsnet over NFL network or over WGN. Only over the air stations have the right to request a simsub. I suspect both NFL network and WGN are supposed to provide alternate programming to Canada if they don't have broadcast rights and if they can't, Rogers gets a request from them to implement a blackout for the duration of the program. You can't expect Rogers to keep track of who has rights to every program. They just react to requests from broadcasters. This would be similar to the blackouts we see from time to time on TCM HD. Another Canadian HD channel (Treasure, Oasis, Equator, radX) has the HD rights for a particular film so TCM is blacked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts