Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello geniuses

So I got to thinking. (as i do on occasion) and thought that with a frame and mirror i could really spruce up my living room.
Tv off - its a pretty mirror.
Tv on - its a tv in a pretty frame.

The internet seems to have thought of this before me, but the prices on this is outrageous. it seems to me a framing store supplied with the right kind of glass would be able to create this without any problems.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Thought about doing this?

Thank You

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Seems like an interesting idea. Obviously you may need to experiment with materials to ensure that image quality isn't negatively impacted.

My only concern is ventilation. You'll need to ensure that the TV is always adequately ventilated to prevent excessive heat build up--which could shorten the life of your TV substantially.

·
Registered
560 Posts
was at a show home and they had a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom. Couldn't tell there was a TV there when off, would say little darker than normal when on through the mirror.

Did see Michael's will frame TVs (link button one), without mirror.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent point. Ventilation will be key. Also an IR repeater will likely be required as the frame would likely block the IR reciever on the tv.

But those should be reasonably easy to fix. The samsung LED tv runs very cold. Even after long periods of use. And IR equipement is very inexpensive.

I think the problem is going to be the 2 way mirror.

Information i've found so far claims the mirror is a special "beam splitter" with dielectric coating. Is this mere technical sounding word play or an actual product???

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
the mirror is a special "beam splitter" with dielectric coating.
I suspect this is very expensive and probably not widely available. Ventilation should not be an issue as long as adequate vents are available behind the TV at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's a real thing, though I see it inside intricate industrial process measurement devices at work, not large mirrors for TV's :p

Google beam splitter, it's just a type of mirror that is half reflective.

Some light goes though, some bounces back. I am sure there is something available though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts