Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - the volume of discussions has dropped off drastically around here, 'specially since the last reorganization!

Anyone else seen Thor? We went on Sunday @ 7PM, to the UltraAVX at Colossus. Comments on both the movie and the theatre are welcome here.

First, the movie - this is NOT the Thor from the Marvel universe. No doctor finding a stick in a hidden cave, no human with a good heart turned into a super hero. A very different story line, originating and staying with Asgard.

The movie is very good - it deserves the rating that shows at Rotten Tomatoes. The CGI is excellent, and imaginative, but the story and characters have a place as well. As with all Marvell movies, you need to stay to the end of the credits to see what may be coming next.

We went to the 3D presentation, and I'm glad we did. The 3D glasses are OK, they don't give me a headache in any way, and the depth of the movie is, IMHO, an improvement. We sat in the middle of row D, and maybe could have sat one or two rows higher - occasionally the 3D effect on objects that should be coming out of the screen broke down, so maybe we were too close. Not an issue, just an observation. They don't go overboard with 3D in this movie, but when it is used, it is to good effect (pun intended). The movie was not shot in 3D, and the conversion to 3D in post production is - for the most part - very good.

The UltraAVX theatre is an improvement! It has nicer seating (very nice seats!), much more leg room, reserved seating, and a good screen. The image was in focus, the screen was clean, the audio levels were good, and this theatre had subs that kicked even more than in an IMAX theatre! As a DJ, I appreciate when subs kick but the sound system is well balanced, so you only get that kick when it is approprate.

UltraAVX costs a bit more, but since we only go to a movie theatre occasionally, paying a bit more for a much better experience is worth it.

If we just want to see a movie, we have a nice TV and HTPC that plays all formats, and a half decent sound system, so we only go out when it is something that will be improved by being on the large screen, or is 3D, or somesuchlike.

I would rather pay $17 for a good time, than $10 or $8 and walk out unhappy! That is just me, but even at low rates, dirty screens, out of focus images, audio that is too loud or too soft, uncomfortable seating, etc, etc make me wish I had stayed at home.

UltraAVX 3D costs about $2 more than non-3D UltraAVX, $1 less than IMAX non-3D, and as much as $4 more than a standard theatre.

·
Registered
327 Posts
We saw Thor at the UltraAVX theatre at Scarborough Town Centre and enjoyed it. Still not a huge fan of 3D but I am certainly a fan of UltraAVX - certainly worth the few extra bucks for a dramatically better sight/sound experience. Even more is the ability to pick and reserve your seats online like booking an airfare ticket.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even more is the ability to pick and reserve your seats online like booking an airfare ticket.
I found it amusing that people sit in their purchased seats, even when better seats are empty. Canadians are just so honest! :)

We had the middle two seats. The two seats to my left were empty. Four people arrived and took the four seats starting at the isle. That left the two seats beside me empty for the full show.

They could have moved over one or two, but they did not.

I also noticed that the seats automatically picked for you are not what I would consider the best. I almost booked several times, since we were undecided when we would go, and every time I removed the automatically selected seats for ones that were more towards the centre, and often close to the midpoint (rows d to f at Colossus).

The real battle is going to be chosing between UltraAVX 3D and IMAX 3D for Harry Potter in August! ;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
For me the benefits of AVX are not worth the price of admission. And the 3D in Thor was pretty lacking. There is no way Thor was shot in 3D.

My gripes about 3D aside, I really like Thor. I was pretty pessimistic about the chances of it being good, but they pulled it off.

I don't know if it was totally comic accurate (but there have been so many reboots of characters over the years it very well could be). It definitely wasn't very true to Norse mythology, but so what?

I'd rate it much higher than Iron Man 2.

Bring on The Avengers movie!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i wanted to see it on friday but they had already got rid of it at th queensway theatre and were lay preist instead! what a waste!

i want to try it out just for the enhanced sound. the sound in a standard theatre is garbage. even my cheapo 500 dollar HTIB sounds better at the same volumns..

but apparently if i want to see a movie in it at the queensway it better be opening week or itll get bumped!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Went to see Thor over the weekend, and I intentionally selected the lone theatre not showing it in 3D at Coliseum Mississauga (didn't really feel like wearing the glasses). Liked it quite a bit.

I felt it was pretty balanced in terms of action, plot development, and telling of the requisite 'origin' tale. The only slight problem I had was the Thor/Jane romantic angle - it was fine through most of the film, but thought it was overly dramatic towards the end. I like Natalie Portman, so I'm not going to dwell on it too much :)

Since someone mentioned Iron Man 2, I found that movie to be bland and uninspired, so I would easily rate this one higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which seats are the best for Ultra 3D

Hi all,

It was very good reading your comments as I am totally debutant in the field of IMAX/Ultra AVX & etc., and I've got some ideas as I am going to watch Thor in Scotia Theater tomorrow in Ultra AMX 3D.

My question is which seats are better to choose as I am booking them online. It gives me the side seats (25 & 26) in middle rows (g,h,i) as the best option.

Is it really the best option for Ultra AVX 3D, because I normally choose the middle seats of upper rows for regular movies.

Please help urgently as I have too get the ticket tonight!

Thank youuuuuu

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For 3D, I would sit middle, about 1/3 of the way from the walkway to the back.

Last night we sat in row B for 3D Priest. We could have moved anyplace - we were the only ones in the theatre! Talk about a private showing!!!! Nice, not having to worry about talking out loud, since there was NOBODY ELSE to bother! And no worry about crowding anyone behind you when you tilted the seat back all the way.

It was OK for the 3D effect, but I would sit two or three rows up. That is my personal preference only, based partly on wearing trifocal glasses and having the look down a bit to get the full theatre through the distance part of the lenses.

Priest was OK, if you went in expecting a graphic novel. It was no Avatar, but I enjoyed it. They blowed up the train real good! 3D effect was not used much - even less than in Thor, but there were a few scenes looking down from a height were it was effective. Thor was a much better movie, and the 3D effect lent itself to the scenes even more. Neither were shot in 3D, and the 3D conversion for Thor seemed better.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me the benefits of AVX are not worth the price of admission.
I have only done UltraAVX at Collesium. For me, if it is a real popular movie, the extra $$$ are worth it. Plus, if you are going 3D, it is CHEAPER than full IMAX 3D.

You get:
- reserved seating
- nicer seats
- more leg room
- much, much better sound system
- better (newer, less damage and wear and tear) screen

All this eliminates one thing I really don't like - waiting 60 to 90 minutes for a popular movie, then still getting a less than ideal seat. I have better things to do than stand in a line for a movie! :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I guess I don't see many popular movies then. I just show up 20 minutes early or so and get a good seat on my own. Actually, I do go see a lot of not so popular movies. I also skip the opening weekend if it looks like a blockbuster release.

I haven't been in the AVX theater at the Scotia downtown. It used to be cinema #2, which didn't have a bigger screen than cinema 1 (where I saw Thor), or the IMAX theater.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I don't see many popular movies then. I just show up 20 minutes early or so and get a good seat on my own. Actually, I do go see a lot of not so popular movies. I also skip the opening weekend if it looks like a blockbuster release.
I waiting in line for over a hour to see Avatar on it's second day showing. Even then, the line up in front of us was huge, and we were way up and almost at the end of the isle when we got in. That was the IMAX theatre at Collossus!

I have tickets for tomorrow night's 7:10PM showing of Pirates. Almost the perfect seats - row E, only one off being dead centre. That is nice

I haven't been in the AVX theater at the Scotia downtown. It used to be cinema #2, which didn't have a bigger screen than cinema 1 (where I saw Thor), or the IMAX theater.
We have been at the UltraAVX at Collossus, for Thor and Priest. On Friday, we are going to give Silver City's UltraAVX in Brampton a try for Pirates.

The screen is wall to wall, as large as it can be. I think this is larger than what used to be in there. Although they allude to IMAX in the opening, it is smaller and a different ratio than an IMAX screen. However, it is new and undamaged and clean, and the seats are very nice with a steeper rake (rows go up faster, so the people in front of you won't block the screen, even Marge Simpson's hair would be OK ;) ), so we don't mind paying $1 to $2 less than IMAX 3D to get the extras in the UltraAVX screen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went to see Thor last night at a regular theater, no 3D. This was the first movie I have seen in years at a theater. I found the video quality of the film to be very bad, it looked out of focus, blurry and grainy. My HD. television had a way better picture than this, and my sound system was better to.
Are movies in the theaters suppose to be around the same quality as H.D. ? And is the sound suppose to be better then most home theater systems ?
I did like the movie and will be buying it when it comes out on blu ray.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Depends on the theater. It sounds like you picked one that had problems with their projection equipment, or projectionist. Or both.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to see Thor last night at a regular theater, no 3D. This was the first movie I have seen in years at a theater. I found the video quality of the film to be very bad, it looked out of focus, blurry and grainy. My HD. television had a way better picture than this, and my sound system was better to.
Agreed that this happens far, far too often. Theatres do not maintain the screens, do not have responsible operators that actually LOOK at what is on screen and adjust focus, do not check sound levels, etc, etc. Ranting about theatres in general could get way, way off topic - there should be sticky about this, so we can warn each other away from such places.

That is why I pay extra for things like IMAX and UltraAVX. They seem better maintained, so the image, sound, and experience are what they should be.

For much of anything else, I wait to watch it at home.

Thor at UltraAVX was good, technically.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
we don't mind paying $1 to $2 less than IMAX 3D to get the extras in the UltraAVX screen.
Had my first UltaAVX experience today, to see Super 8; totally worth the premium price. Sound and picture presentation were pristine. My only quibble is the ticket kiosks seem to assign the reserved seats, rather than let you choose (unless I'm missing something). As it was a matinee, I had no trouble shifting to my preferred spot up one of the flanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had my first UltaAVX experience today, to see Super 8; totally worth the premium price......My only quibble is the ticket kiosks seem to assign the reserved seats, rather than let you choose (unless I'm missing something).
I buy from home, and when making the ticket purchase online, you get to pick whever seats you wish. When you first arrive at the seat selection screen, it does assign you the number of seats you requested, but you can unselect those and pick any that are unsold.

·
Registered
462 Posts
going to the STC to try it out tonight. I LOVE the paypal option for paying for tickets. Since I have a really good home theatre, it takes a lot now to get me out of my comfortable couch to goto a theatre.

Imax screens I have loved, and 3D I have enjoyed. I am looking forward to this. The seats will be a big plus for me. I like to be comfortable.

I am a big AMC theatre supporter, but, if cineplex keeps making changes like this, I will switch to them. I guess its the old guy in me. (30 years old lol) but I hate going to movies now because of the talkers, cell phone talkers, text message checkers etc. What ever happened to shut the hell up. Ushers need to come back. That's a whole different rant though. :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
going to the STC to try it out tonight.
What is STC?

What did you see? How did it go?

We went to the UltraAVX in Brampton to see Transformers 3 on Saturday afternoon. Now I know not to set in row A, just a little too close for this size of screen(for us), and the people walking back and forth are more distracting than if you are one or two rows up.

First 3D movie I have been dissapointed in. The 3D was OK in some scenes, but for the action scenes, the 3D effect did not contribute to the movie. IMHO we would have been as happy to see this one on a flat screen - at home, or at a drive-in.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The UltraAVX theatre is an improvement! It has nicer seating (very nice seats!), much more leg room, reserved seating, and a good screen. The image was in focus, the screen was clean, the audio levels were good, and this theatre had subs that kicked even more than in an IMAX theatre! As a DJ, I appreciate when subs kick but the sound system is well balanced, so you only get that kick when it is approprate.
Funny thing is "ultraAVX" type of service is the regular service in most movie theatres in Indonesia.

"Reserved seating", "more leg room" and "stadium seating" have been used in Indonesia for ALL theatres since I can remember (my first theatre experience that I can remember is in 1978 watching Star Wars).

The "sub kick" and "lazy-boy type" seatings were added to at least 50% of the theatres in Indonesia back in 2003. (the sub kick is actually individual tactile transducers installed inside each seat)

And just like UltraAVX, most theatres in Indonesia are also designed by THX-trained commercial cinema designers and calibrators

Regardless, I welcome ultraAVX with open arms albeit the concept is 30 years too late compared to Indonesia.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We just got three VIP theatres at our nearby Silver City. Went to check it out today, segregated entrance through a special lounge, reserved seating, wider, roomier seats with side trays, plenty of leg room and snacks delivered to you. Eventually there will be alcohol available, if Cineplex can secure a liquor license. All for the princely sum of $19.50, a $7 premium over regular admission.
Frankly I was underwhelmed. The seats were hard, the leg room was ample, but a footrest would have made it more comfortable, and the theatre was quite small. We're not snackers at the theatre, so the in-seat delivery isn't much of an allure.
In my opinion, the AVX is a much better deal.
Now if ViP came with reserved parking...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts