Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cloud Print, Google’s cloud-based printing solution that has been in beta since 2010, will no longer be supported as of December 31, 2020. Beginning January 1, 2021, devices across all operating systems will no longer be able to print using Google Cloud Print. We recommend that over the next year, you identify an alternative solution and execute a migration strategy.
This really really sucks. I use Google Cloud Print to print from my Tablets, Smart Phones, and even google chrome on my laptop to my wireless printer or the wireless printer at my parents house or in-laws house. It works great, its one universal driver and it works great. Now with this shutting down next year. this means that ANY of my phones I want to print to, I have to install the driver for the specific printer, so I now need a Epson printer driver for my in-laws house, a HP printer driver on my smart phone for my parents house, and a Cannon printer driver on my phone for my own household. wait im not done yet, X3, so I would have to do the same on my WIFES tablet, and once more on MY tablet too. then its not gonna end, my mother is going to call me why she cant print wireless so im going to have to configure all her tablets and smart phones to her printer with new drivers. go figure, wow jus wow thanks Alphabet soop, aka google. you really blew it!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I experimented and installed 4 different printer service apps, and enabled them all, and here are my results, All 4 of them can detect my printer

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The Bonjour thing on iPhones still works? Our phones and iPads still talk too our wifi connected printers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, well cloud printing enables me to print to my house printer from "OUTSIDE" my home network so if im at a coffee shop or friends house, i can print from my Tablet, Smartphone or even laptop where ever I am, to my cloud print enabled printer anywhere in the world. I never heard of Bonjour before and I don't think its the same thing, but I still have the ability to print from my HOME on those devices I mentioned to my printer wirelessly but It only works in my home on the same network, which is still good, but not as good as it was before. oh well, I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Bonjour is an Apple thing for Apple devices to talk to non Apple printers. Deprecated now I think but it works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to bring this slightly off topic, my cloud Print compatible printer also supports apple air cloud print or what ever its called. I remember setting it up and printing from the ipad wirelessly to the printer, but ya none the less, i do not want this to go off topic but ya as long as theres another solution that works when google cloud print becomes discontinued I will be okay with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts