Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This American Life, a US public radio program show The American Journalism Review declared "at the vanguard of a journalistic revolution" will begin airing Sunday January 9th at 11 pm EST on the CBC's Radio One network.

The show, hosted by Ira Glass, has aired for 15 years in the United States, and has won every major American broadcast award, including Peabody, duPont-Columbia and Overseas Press Club awards.

The mostly true life stories on the show are told in a unique, character-driven storytelling style, often described by the producers as being "like little movies for radio."

In the U.S., the show attracts 1.8 million listeners every week on more than 500 stations. It is also one of the most popular podcasts in the world, with more than 500,000 weekly downloads - including 25,000 in Canada.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
reidw, did you notice the time of the broadcast? The CBC has aired programmes in the early morning hours from the world's public broadcasters for quite a few years now. This is a *good* thing as listeners get a sense of what is important in other parts of the world. CBC shows like As It Happens and Vinyl Cafe also get aired on American public radio.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CBC does a wonderful job telling our stories. As noted, many CBC programs air on NPR in the U.S.. This is a nice addition.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Although I dislike the show, I think it is good that they're expanding their horizons. The CBC certainly doesn't dominate the market of good show ideas and this is one that many people relate to.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
FYI, 'This American Life' is frequently populated with Canadian content and personalities. I have no real objection to them airing it, although it's mostly unnecessary given how easily NPR can already be listened to over the internet. It might expose more Canadians to this good program and might make it slightly easier to access.

Given a choice, I'd probably rather they rebroadcast some of the excellent Canadian programs in these off hours however. There's a lot of great CBC radio content that I miss because it's only played over the air once or twice per week, and given CBC's brainless shift to a proprietary commercialized iTunes pay-per-play model, if you miss it, then you've missed it.

If CBC is going to force people to pay per episode, they should at least use more the off-peak broadcast time to give at least some chance for the people (taxpayers) who fund them to actually listen to the content we pay for.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a lot of great CBC radio content that I miss because it's only played over the air once or twice per week
You know that a lot of CBC stuff is available via Podcast.

I use podcasts for Quirks & Quarks, World at Six, World this Weekend regularly and sometimes for other shows.

While This American Life is available over the internet there are still many people who don`t have access to the net (seniors or lower income households) and whose only way to listen is via over the air signals.

I prefer everything broadcast to be first run and keep the repeats for podcasts.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You know that a lot of CBC stuff is available via Podcast.

I use podcasts for Quirks & Quarks, World at Six, World this Weekend regularly and sometimes for other shows.

While This American Life is available over the internet there are still many people who don`t have access to the net (seniors or lower income households) and whose only way to listen is via over the air signals.

I prefer everything broadcast to be first run and keep the repeats for podcasts.
Check again and you'll see CBC is gradually moving away from instant streaming and podcast to a pay-per-play model. Some programs are only available for 1 week and then after that you must pay to download it, even though your taxes already paid for it once.

And your choices of where to download it are as follows: Apple. And the price is high.

And I'm not sure if you noticed either, but CBC further downgraded their streaming player for the third year in a row. It's getting closer and closer to RealPlayer (yuck!) with each iteration.

Your claim that there are "still many people who don't have access to the net" is a statement that I don't agree with. Internet is in the vast and overwhelming majority of home, schools, and public places.

And besides, if someone can't afford basic internet, they sure as heck can't afford the latest computer and additional equipment that podcasts would require.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your claim that there are "still many people who don't have access to the net" is a statement that I don't agree with. Internet is in the vast and overwhelming majority of home, schools, and public places.
You really didn`t read what I said.

Approximately 20% don`t have internet access. Of the remaining 80%, most only have it on their computer and don`t want to deal with podcasts or goto a library to listen to podcasts. Over The air is much easier. When most people go to bed at night, they want to listen to a show on the radio not a podcast.

The fact is that lower income can`t afford iPods, Computers, wireless etc and rely on radio. Many seniors can`t deal with technology, listening to the radio is as techy has they get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts