Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am contimplating switching from Shaw to Telus Optik,, sweet deal,, my concern is this,, I play an online game called Everquest and would like to know if that will still be possible with Telus. They are saying Iwill have 15 Mbps. Will that be enough to play while my hubby and kids are watching TV or will I have to limit my play time to when they arnt here and I can shut off the TVs? I dont really understand all the jargon that is used here so an answer in plain laymans english would be apreciated. Also I wont be getting any HD content as I dont have an HD Tv yet. If that helps at all. Also I dont download or upload anything. Not music, video or anything else like that. Just a plain old web surfer and game player.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Telus Optik will be fine for bandwidth, even with others watching TV. YMMV in the latency department (your "ping") between Telus and Shaw. I know some people claim that Telus gives them lower latency, but in the last couple houses I've lived in Shaw generally provided better latency for my online gaming.

Online games take very little bandwidth. For example, World of Warcraft usually takes between 20-50kbps of downstream traffic, even while in a raid. Sure, it might spike up to ~200kbps briefly here and there, but most of the time the bandwidth requirements are within the capabilities of a 56kbps analog modem.

I haven't played Everquest for years now (I had a brief stint with the game when it was originally released) but I'd be surprised if it's bandwidth profile was significantly different from WoW.

If you want to check for yourself and you have Windows 7, open Resource Monitor, select the "Network" tab, locate the process in question in the "Network Activity" process list. Keep that window open on a 2nd display while you play your online game, and you will be able to glance over at any time to see how much bandwidth that application actually uses.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I think you'd have to record two HD streams and watch 1 other SD stream to drop your speed to 5Mbs and even then you'd still have plenty for on-line gaming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A friend of mine recently switched to Telus with the Optik TV and has not noticed any issues with his EQ gaming while recording 3 shows at once(two HD) .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Remember that when you're gaming online, your download speed doesn't really matter much. There isn't that much information being passed down to you, and what information is getting passed to you will depend on the upload speed of the server or your opponent. If you're playing a 1v1 RTS against someone and both players have 15/1 connections, then he can only send you 1mbps of data, so as long as you have 1mbps down, you'll be maxing out his connection anyway. Server-based games have fast upload, but they serve a lot of people who share that speed. I don't know if there's a way to monitor how much bandwidth a game actually uses, but I'd be curious to see it. Ping is critical, upload speed can help, but you probably won't notice any change in gaming experience as long as your download is reliably above 1mbps. It wouldn't surprise me if people on sub-1mbps connections had no problems gaming.

-Telus tech.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts