Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left Rogers a couple of years ago when they first started throttling torrents in my area and vowed I would never use them again......

I'm currently on Bell unlimited usage plan and the speeds I'm getting are horrendous (2mbps down, non-existant up) so I'm thinking of dealing with the devil again and switching to Rogers Extreme Plus plan.

I don't have an issue with the 125GB cap and am drooling over the 25mbps download speed.

Question is, does Rogers throttle torrents still? Seems ludicrous to me that they would on a capped plan. On an unlimited plan I can see the rationale but if I'm paying for 125GB a month I should be able to use it at full throttle however I see fit and then nail me with overage charges if I do go over.

Second question, is the $149 wireless g modem a new docsis 3 modem that I can use on the extreme plus plan? I plan on disabling everything on it and just use it as a bridge and continue to use my wireless n linksys router running dd-wrt firmware.

Third question. For anybody that is not renting their modem can you give me a breakdown of your bill with total amount for the extreme plus plan? I know it is $69.99 but want to know if there are any other "fees" Rogers throws on there other than HST.

Darryl

·
Registered
569 Posts
Question is, does Rogers throttle torrents still? Seems ludicrous to me that they would on a capped plan. On an unlimited plan I can see the rationale but if I'm paying for 125GB a month I should be able to use it at full throttle however I see fit and then nail me with overage charges if I do go over.
YES, Rogers is playing games w/ BT. They claim to be clamping the upload/seeding, but seem to be also randomly dropping connections if you exceed some unpublished threshold.

Second question, is the $149 wireless g modem a new docsis 3 modem that I can use on the extreme plus plan? I plan on disabling everything on it and just use it as a bridge and continue to use my wireless n linksys router running dd-wrt firmware.
For any tier >10Mbps down, Rogers will try to force you to take its rental SMC "gateway" box (D3 modem+router). Based on all the negative publicity surrounding it, you do not want to get stuck w/ this box. There are many, many complaints of performance/throughput even w/ the router disabled.

I'm currently on Extreme95, patiently waiting to exit, and when I recently called on another matter, I got transferred to retentions, who offered me the SMC free for a year, and indicated it would be $7/mo thereafter.

I've since purchased a Motorola SB6120 (us$77 on Amazon), planning for my exit from Rogers. This is a well-regarded Docsis 3.0 modem and it's on Rogers/reseller approved lists.

If you're adamant about jumping back into the frying pan, you might be able to demand they connect a pre-purchased D3 modem, instead of taking their rental.

Third question. For anybody that is not renting their modem can you give me a breakdown of your bill with total amount for the extreme plus plan? I know it is $69.99 but want to know if there are any other "fees" Rogers throws on there other than HST.
Similar to my Extreme95 + D2 rental plan, the bill should just be the $69.99 + $7 + applicable overages + HST.

You don't specify location, but since you're in Rogers' territory, it might be worth checking into Teksavvy (Rogers reseller) availability. While they don't (yet) offer 25-down, you can get 15/1 w/ 200GB/mo or unlimited bandwidth for considerable savings relative to Rogers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm located in Cambridge (hour west of Toronto) and according to the TekSavvy Website am not in their service area.

Will Rogers allow somebody to sign up on the Extreme Plus plan with any Docsis 3 modem on their approved list? If I tell them I will ONLY sign up if they activate me on this modem will they actually do it? I would hate to buy the modem off of Amazon and then have them flat out refuse to activate it.

I am hesitant to jump back into the frying pan with Rogers but the reality is that the speed I'm getting with Bell right now is abysmal.

Darryl

·
Registered
569 Posts
Agree on not buying before confirming w/ a CSR.

Right now, I the SB6120 is approved for Rogers resellers e.g. Teksavvy (these guys will even sell you one for $110, and activate it), so it should also be approved on Rogers, but you'd have to elect out of their SMC junkbox, hence the need to call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts