Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have surmised by my user name, I'm not up to speed in the audio/visual world. Recently I purchased a Sony Bravia HDTV and a Yamaha HTR6230 receiver to run my Panasonic DVD/VCR combo. The TV has all the current inputs but the combo is about eight years old. The Yamaha receiver is a little difficult for someone used to a red and a white. There is no satellite nor cable box involved. The DVD combo has RGB outputs and optical audio - DVD only while the VCR portion has in/out composite YWR. The Yamaha book says DVD RGB to component in/under DVD and out to TV under monitor out (RGB). On the TV, aligned with the component in are two audio connectors - where are they connected on the receiver? The VCR part is a bigger mystery. Here again the book states 'using the DVR in/out connectors, bring composite video from the VCR, input to ouput and vice versa then connect the AV video monitor out to video in on the TV. While I'm on a roll, I'd like to also run the TV audio through the AV to benefit from the speakers - thought an optical connection from TV to receiver would do it - no joy. The DVD video is working but no audio - help

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
Wow, a lot to cover. Let's get started with the names of the cables & connections - FAQ below: You should connect each device using the "best possible" connection. Since the AVR doesn't seem to transcode (convert) any of the incoming signals to say HDMI or component video, you might as well make all the video connections directly to the TV. If you decide (for whatever reason) that you want to connect the video through the AVR, then you need the same connections to the TV that you made to the AVR for video.

Audio - simply connect the audio directly from each device to the appropriate input on the AVR, using the best connection available. If you're going to use only the AVR for audio, then that's all you need. If you wish to use the TV for audio without the AVR, then you need to duplicate the connections from each device to the TV - this gets complicated as you can tell. I suggest you simply always use the AVR for the best audio.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

The Audio connection from the TV is probably only good for the internal tuner. See the bolding in the following FAQ on that topic: Since you have an HDTV, how are you viewing HD programming? OTA?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

See the following FAQ on AVR features:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

To assist with all the switching, get yourself a programmable remote like the Harmony - discussed here in the remotes forum.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, search tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

That should be enough to get you started.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am pretty sure that model doesn't do switching or analog up conversion, so what you have to do is run everything into the receiver then to the TV. Think of it like this: whatever cable that goes into the receiver must come out and go to the TV (minus the audio).
Also, don't think of things like they are name (ie, DVD, VCR, etc...) just consider them INPUTS.
So your initial post is a little confusing. We need to know what cables you have, and which ones you plan on using...
EXAMPLE:
Connect DVD player to receiver via COMPONENT (red/green/blue) plus optical for audio...perhaps it is connected to AV-1 input on back of receiver. Now you need to connect the COMPONENT output of reciever to the TV so that the TV gets the video. (no need to connect audio).
Connect VCR output to receiver via composite (red/white/yellow) perhaps called AV-4. Now connect the composite output of receiver to TV (yellow cable).
To watch either of these, you need to change your receiver to the right source, AND change your TV input so it receiver the right video.
Do you understand any of this? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your responses. Rereading my first post, even I'm confused. At the moment, the DVD output is connected to the AV with a COMPONENT cable (video) and OPTICAL cable (audio). From the AV (monitor out) with a COMPONENT cable (video) to TV input.
The VCR output is connected with a COMPOSITE cable to the AV at the DVR input (manual shows using that one since there's no specific VCR) and from the AV DVR output to TV composite input. The manual also shows a single video connection from AV monitor out to TV video - there's not enough inputs on the TV for all of this - confused. I thought to run the TV audio through the AV with an optical connection TV to AV? Just two speakers connected with banana plugs - should those be inserted all the way or partially?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have since removed the DVD optical/converter/coax connector to AV and returned to red/white. Requires a high volume setting. Optical (audio) out from TV to AV apparently not meant to be. How about the red/white audio out on TV? If I could get TV audio from AV, wouldn't a direct COMPOSITE connection from VCR to TV work?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
sorry .. had to revisit (edit) my posting. seems our posts crossed (passed each other) mid-drift.

Rereading my first post, even I'm confused
good to see you are maintaining a sense of humor about this ..;)

certainly appears to be hooked up correctly. The video sections of the DVD/VCR look good. Component (IN) to Component (OUT to TV); Composite (IN) to Composite (OUT to TV). Audio looks hooked up correctly. digital and analogue. you were not getting audio ? * did you toggle through your "audio select" button on your remote ? this switches audio pathway. (bottom-left of your remote (last line) - may be abbreviated AUDIO SEL

If I could get TV audio from AV, wouldn't a direct COMPOSITE connection from VCR to TV work?
i think i know what your saying (hopefully) ... trying to loop the DVD/VCR audio back to the AVR - with the TV in between ?. connecting your audio out L/R (from your TV, back into the AVR).. i don't think this is neccesary sir. (if i intrepret you correctly)

perhaps the image in the manual is a single HDMI cable ? in this case, you have no option for (from your DVD/VCR)

Just two speakers connected with banana plugs - should those be inserted all the way or partially?
all the way into the AVR's speaker jacks i assume. shouldn't be an issue. i had experienced this at some point (albeit) at the speaker end - yet as long as you have a good connection it should function, regardless of it being not "all the way" in (ie: partially)

generally speaking, it's always the "little thing" overlooked ..etc that holds everything up. keep pluggin' .. many here will lend a hand, offer input - perhaps.

hope this helps, gotta try at least right ? = )

link to the manual (for others, if they wish to have a look for you as well)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pharsyde
Other than the VCR, It all seems to function and will improve as I adjust speaker levels at the AV. My thought about connecting the VCR - COMPOSITE - directly to the TV isn't bearing much fruit. My video is all blue and the audio, which should be returning through the AV, is quiet. The analog connection, TV audio out to AV-TV audio in works fine just needs the level adjusted. This no-mans' land between analog and digital is not a friendly place.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The blue screen is usually due to no video signal being present. Make sure the output from the VCR is going to the correct input on the TV. I've got those accidentally mixed up occasionally. :eek:

Here is how I would do it:
DVD - Component video from DVD to TV. Digital audio (optical) from DVD to AV receiver.
VCR - S-video or composite to TV. RCA audio (red/white) to AV receiver.
TV - RCA audio to AV receiver. (Digital may work with ATSC channels only.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ScaryBob
You're saying I can go DVD Component direct to TV and the optical, which arrives as coax, to the AV - I have a [optical/coax] converter. VCR single yellow to TV and [red/white] to AV. There's no [VCR in], is [DVR in] ok? The TV [red/white] audio out works with the AV dtv in. There's a real imbalance with audio levels between CD player and both DVR and TV.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey dude. Stop thinking of your inputs as named devices...you can connect any device to any input as long as it fits. Because your AV is not upconverting, there is no real need to connect all your video to it, as long as your TV has enough inputs. Try what a previous poster said: connect all your devices video out to the TV in. Then connect all the devices audio out to the AVR in. It doesn't matter what method you use. In terms of quality, optical or digital audio will be better than the red & white analog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to your input and a brief moment of enlightenment from myself, problem solved. There was another DVD/VCR combo in the house, of more recent vintage, for which I still had the handbook. This one's a Sony and, when connected as you suggested, worked a charm. The other, an eight year old Panasonic, doesn't seem to meet today's requirements - or is it me :)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts